Consulting

Thread: Which shape triggered the macro?

VBAX Newbie
    Which shape triggered the macro?

I am trying to simulate a combination lock as part of an escape room power point. On one particular slide there are 4 text boxes. The user can click any text-box to increment the number in that particular text box. The VBA code is the same for all four text boxes so I'd like to just write it once (for easy maintenance) because the behavior is exactly the same for each "Dial". BUT it looks like macros can not use a parameter list so I can't give the macro an index (or tag) as to which of the text-boxes the user clicked (the sub name doesn't show up in the macro list if there is a anything in the brackets of the sub). I guess I could just copy and paste the code four times, change the macro name and set the action to a specific copy - but surely there is a better way?

Thank you in advance - this is a real challenge for me.

The code below:
    I've named the text boxes 0, 1, 2, 3. There is also a Reset button, to reset the lock to: 0 0 0 0. And a star that turns green if the correct combination is in the text boxes.
    And all the commented out code are futile attempts at discovering the index or name of the specific text box that triggered the macro.

LOCK1 is a workaround: If I happen to insert a new slide in front of this "combo lock" slide, the combo lock slide gets a new slide number then the macros are useless. I would like to use the macro for any slide, but one problem at a time I suppose.

Const LOCK1 As Integer = 1 ' slide index for combination lock
    Dim D(4) As Integer 'combination dials

Sub SpinDial()
        Dim shpDial As Shape
        Dim i As Integer
        Dim Test As Boolean

MsgBox "Spin dial"

'set shpDial = ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange(1)
        'Set shpDial = ActivePresentation.Slides(LOCK1).Shapes.Range.Id
        'shpDial = ActivePresentation.Slides(LOCK1).Shapes

i = CInt(shpDial.Name)
        MsgBox "shape name: " & i

'D(i) = (D(i) + 1) Mod 10
        'MsgBox "D(" & CStr(i) & ") = " & CInt(D(i))

'ActivePresentation.Slides(LOCK1).Shapes(shpDial.Name).TextFrame.TextRange.Text = D(i)
        'MsgBox "check combo..."

'CheckCombo
        'MsgBox "returned from check combo"

End Sub

Sub Reset()
        Dim i As Integer
        For i = 0 To 3
            D(i) = 0
            ActivePresentation.Slides(LOCK1).Shapes(CStr(i)).TextFrame.TextRange.Text = D(i)
        Next i
        ActivePresentation.Slides(LOCK1).Shapes("Star").Fill.ForeColor.RGB = vbRed

End Sub

Function CheckCombo() As Boolean

If D(0) = 8 And D(1) = 3 And D(2) = 6 And D(3) = 2 Then
            ActivePresentation.Slides(LOCK1).Shapes("Star").Fill.ForeColor.RGB = vbGreen
        Else
            ActivePresentation.Slides(LOCK1).Shapes("Star").Fill.ForeColor.RGB = vbRed
        End If

VBAX Master
    You can pass the clicked shape to the macro like this:

Sub SpinDial(SpinShape As Shape) ' no spaces
        Dim i As Integer
        Dim Test As Boolean
        MsgBox "Triggered by: " _
        & SpinShape.Name & " Slide: " & SpinShape.Parent.SlideIndex
        End Sub
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
    Amazing Free PowerPoint Tutorials
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html

VBAX Newbie
    Thanks John

That works great! John, I see you name all over this forum - thank you for answering my question.

What are the restrictions for the parameter list - can it only handle shape objects or can I hand in constants, or my own variables?

Thanks again.

VBAX Master
    In this case (passing what was clicked in a show ) you can only pass shapes. If you call the macro in other ways (e.g. from another macro) you can pass any variable
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Newbie

Can you recommend any good books on this level/style of VBA programming for MS Powerpoint? or URLs? I have visited your site - has lots of good stuff.

VBAX Master
    There are very few books specifically for PowerPoint. David Marcovitz has one "Powerful PowerPoint for Educators" but it is fairly basic. The best way (I think) is to look at sites like ours, Steve Rindsberg's PPTFAQ and Shyam Pillai's site. They all have good examples you can take apart to see how they work.

VBA Developers Handbook by Getz and Gilbert is nearly 20 years old and not just for PowerPoint. It's out of print but if you can find a cheap second hand copy on Amazon it it sometimes useful. Don't pay a lot though most that come up are expensive but there is sometimes a cheap copy some here right now.

https://www.amazon.com/VBA-Developer.../dp/0782129781
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Newbie
    Solved

Thanks again John. I will check into what you have suggested. I appreciate the help.

I can't find the 'Solved' button, so I placed it in the Title.