Consulting

Thread: Working with Dates in VBA

VBAX Regular
    Working with Dates in VBA

I have a set of files that follow the following naming scheme:SOP_Audit-JV-006-02182019.docx

The last part of the file name is a date that I want to pull into VBA, which I have working fine using Split(). Is there something similar to this: https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php in VBA? Something that would allow me to convert that string to a date and then be able to format it differently, or compare it with another date, break it down into just the month or year, etc.

I was reading about the CDate function and trying to use that but am having some issues with it.

Thank you!

Maybe
    Sub mongoose()
       Dim St As String
       Dim Dt As Date
       St = Mid(ActiveCell, InStrRev(ActiveCell, "-") + 1, 8)

Dt = DateSerial(Right(St, 4), Left(St, 2), Mid(St, 3, 2))
    End Sub

VBAX Regular

Dim auditDate: auditDate = CDate(DateSerial(Right(Left(Split(oFile.Name, "-")(3), 8), 4), _                                                        Left(Left(Split(oFile.Name, "-")(3), 8), 2), _
                                                            Mid(Left(Split(oFile.Name, "-")(3), 8), 3, 2)))
    What do you think?

I'd assign the date string to a variable
    Dim sp As Variant
    Dim auditDate As Date

sp = Left(Split(oFile.Name, "-")(3), 8)
    auditDate = CDate(DateSerial(Right(sp, 4), Left(sp, 2), Mid(sp, 3, 2)))

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    fName = "SOP_Audit-JV-006-02182019.docx"
    x = Left(fName, InStrRev(fName, ".") - 1) 'x contains everything before the last dot.
    strDate = Mid(x, InStrRev(x, "-") + 1) 'strDate contains everything after the last - in x.
    dd = DateSerial(Mid(strDate, 5), Left(strDate, 2), Mid(strDate, 3, 2)) 'dd contains the date.
    edit postposting: Shucks, beaten to it.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Ya I just did it like so:

Dim auditDate: auditDate = CDate(DateSerial(Right(Left(Split(oFile.Name, "-")(3), 8), 4), _                                                        Left(Left(Split(oFile.Name, "-")(3), 8), 2), _
                                                            Mid(Left(Split(oFile.Name, "-")(3), 8), 3, 2)))
    What do you think?

I'd Dim auditDate As Date
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3