Consulting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Suggestion for Best Practice

From your post # 9 "The code never physically opens Excel to search."

Just dropped in from boredom, and your name caught my eye.

It seems to me that not opening Excel in the background memory is really making this more difficult. I would layout the data like Paul did in #8, but with an added empty column between each record. I would open objExcel in Word. Then I would use a Worksheet function to return the Record's Range Address to the SQLQuery in Word.

Word Code:
    strMyVar = objExcel.Worksheet_Object_Name.GetRecordAddress occID
    Sheet Code:
    Public Function GetRecordAddress(occID As Variant) As String
    'Returns an address or null

Dim tmp as Range
    Set tmp = Row(n).Find(Cstr(occID))
    If Not tmp is Nothing Then GetRecordAddress = tmp.CurrentRegion.Address
    End Function
    Of course if you don't use an empty column separator, then you will have to Set tmp using Offsets and Ends.

Personally, I would make the Worksheet a custom Object with Properties and Methods which Properties would return values as needed
    Word Code:
    Set myDB = 'Open the Custom Excel WorksheetObject
    With myDB
        .Record = occID
        myocc.Name = .Name
        myocc.Label = .label
        etc
    End With
    Etc
    Putting a For Each Item in MyDoc around the With Structure lets you loop thru all Controls, AND, ignores any orphan records in the worksheet.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Sage

Welcome back -- been awhile

I'm SO glad we're a relief for boredom

I've been following this thread, but only made the one post since I don't know anything about ADODB, etc.
    I also thought about a blank column to use .CurrentRegion, but since data is always stored in a 3 column block, I figured .Resize would work

Since there was nothing I could add to the solution, I've been just following out of interest and the interpersonal dynamics
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar

The method (an adaptation of snb) that I thought was working very well has just hit a major snag!! The issue seems related to this part of the code:

If InStr("34", fncTypeToText(, CStr(varCCs(lngCC)(1)))) Then .Offset(1).texttocolumns , , , , 1, 0, 0, 0, 0

... and it is seemingly madness.

When testing with some sample documents I had, I started getting errors that "Data is already found here, do you want to replace." Well as it turned out, for some reason if the CC.TAG is three or more words long e.g., "My Tag is A" then that line of code is splitting the column into three or more columns based on the "spaces" found in the text and the List Entries delimited with vbLf are not being split.

I've tried to refine that statement to "ONLY" split columns if the text is delimited with vbLF but nothing seems to work.

I also can't understand why the same thing doesn't happen if the Title or Placeholder text is more than two words. Very strange.

If this should go to a new thread, please advise.

CCAttrs.xlsx
    Content Control Properties To and From Excel.docm
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com