Consulting

Thread: Modifying recurring appointments: Outlook 365 vs Outlook 2003

VBAX Newbie
    Question [SOLVED:] Modifying recurring appointments: Outlook 365 vs Outlook 2003

Hi,

I have some code to modify start dates for appointments depending on whether they are recurring or not, this was coded for Outlook 2003:
    (txtTiempo, cmbUdTiempo, cmbSensitivity, cmbFlexibilidad are a textBox and Combo Boxes in a Form; optAlta, optNormal and optBaja are Radio Buttons)

Private m_ApptsSelection As Selection

Private Sub cmdActualizar_Click()
        Dim myAppt As AppointmentItem, bChanged, importance
        Set m_ApptsSelection = Outlook.Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection
        For Each myAppt In m_ApptsSelection
            bChanged = False
            If txtTiempo.Value * 1 <> 0 Then bChanged = True
            If Not myAppt.IsRecurring Then
                myAppt.Start = DateAdd(cmbUdTiempo.Value, txtTiempo.Value * 1, myAppt.Start)
            Else
                myAppt.GetRecurrencePattern.PatternStartDate = DateAdd(cmbUdTiempo.Value, txtTiempo.Value * 1, myAppt.GetRecurrencePattern.PatternStartDate)
            End If
            If myAppt.Sensitivity <> cmbSensitivity.Value Then myAppt.Sensitivity = cmbSensitivity.Value: bChanged = True
            If myAppt.BusyStatus <> cmbFlexibilidad.Value Then myAppt.BusyStatus = cmbFlexibilidad.Value: bChanged = True
            importance = (optAlta And olImportanceHigh) Or (optNormal And olImportanceNormal) Or (optBaja And olImportanceLow)
            If myAppt.importance <> importance Then myAppt.importance = importance: bChanged = True
            If bChanged Then myAppt.Save
        Next
        Set myAppt = Nothing
    End Sub
    This worked perfectly in Outlook 2003 for both recurring and non recurring appointments. Does not in Outlook 365, for recurring ones.
    I get this error message:
    Sin título.jpg
    and when debugging, i inmediately get a second error message:
    Sin título2.jpg
    Trying to find out why I read in Office help that
    When you work with recurring appointment items, you should release any prior references, obtain new references to the recurring appointment item before you access or modify the item, and release these references as soon as you are finished and have saved the changes. This practice applies to the recurring AppointmentItem object, and any Exception or RecurrencePattern object. To release a reference in Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) or Visual Basic, set that existing object to Nothing. In C#, explicitly release the memory for that object. For a code example, see the topic for the AppointmentItem object.
    Note that even after you release your reference and attempt to obtain a new reference, if there is still an active reference, held by another add-in or Outlook, to one of the above objects, your new reference will still point to an out-of-date copy of the object. Therefore, it is important that you release your references as soon as you are finished with the recurring appointment.
    I suppose that might be the clue, I tried to update code to this:

Dim myAppt As AppointmentItem, bChanged, importance, icSel
        Dim ApptRecPatt As RecurrencePattern
        For icSel = 1 To m_ApptsSelection.Count
            Set myAppt = m_ApptsSelection.item(icSel)
            bChanged = False
            Else
                Set ApptRecPatt = myAppt.GetRecurrencePattern
                Set myAppt = Nothing
                If ApptRecPatt.Exceptions.Count > 0 Then
                    Stop ' TO-DO: update exceptions
                End If
                ApptRecPatt.PatternStartDate = DateAdd(cmbUdTiempo.value, txtTiempo.value * 1, ApptRecPatt.PatternStartDate)
                'myAppt.Save: DOES NOT WORK, I GET AN ERROR.
            End If
            If myAppt.Sensitivity <> cmbSensitivity.Value Then myAppt.Sensitivity = cmbSensitivity.Value: bChanged = True
            If myAppt.BusyStatus <> cmbFlexibilidad.Value Then myAppt.BusyStatus = cmbFlexibilidad.Value: bChanged = True
            importance = (optAlta And olImportanceHigh) Or (optNormal And olImportanceNormal) Or (optBaja And olImportanceLow)
            If myAppt.importance <> importance Then myAppt.importance = importance: bChanged = True
            If bChanged Then myAppt.Save ' DOES NOT WORK, I GET AN ERROR.
        Next
        Set myAppt = Nothing
    End Sub
    marked instructions do not work. I want it to work for Outlook 365. Can anyone help to fix this? Thanks.
    Last edited by gautxori; 08-16-2019 at 08:53 AM.

VBAX Newbie
    My..., I found the solution: M$, once again messing and creating problems where there was none.
    They figured there should be a Master Appointment, and occurrences would become child items from the master one... and Exceptions are child items too... "overpopulation", i'd call that (i see no point in creating a "master recurring appointment" and "child occurrences" as long as there were already the exceptions hanging around, but whatever).

Here's the new code, in case someone finds it useful:

Dim myAppt As AppointmentItem, bChanged, importance, icSel
        Dim ApptRecPatt As RecurrencePattern
        For icSel = 1 To m_ApptsSelection.Count
            bChanged = False
            Else
                Set ApptRecPatt = myAppt.GetRecurrencePattern
                Set myAppt = myAppt.GetRecurrencePattern.Parent
                If ApptRecPatt.Exceptions.Count > 0 Then
                    Stop ' TO-DO: update exceptions
                End If
                ApptRecPatt.PatternStartDate = DateAdd(cmbUdTiempo.value, txtTiempo.value * 1, ApptRecPatt.PatternStartDate)
            End If
            If bChanged Then myAppt.Save
        Next
        Set myAppt = Nothing
    End Sub

BTW, i largely miss the Week View in Outlook, the one we had in Outlook 2003. Does someone know of a plugin to get such a nice view?