Consulting

Thread: Pivot report filter with wildcard

VBAX Newbie
    Pivot report filter with wildcard

Hi everyone!Using pivot tables in Excel, you can filter the report fast and uncomplicated by entering a certain text in the search field of the report filter. Now I want to reproduce this in VBA and just can’t find the solution. When I’m entering the text “_0600” in the report filter, the macro recorder traces the following:
    Sub recordedMacro()    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable4").PivotFields( _        "[Range].[Profit Center].[Profit Center]").VisibleItemsList = Array( _        "[Range].[Profit Center].&[333_0600]", _        "[Range].[Profit Center].&[444_0600]")End Sub
    So I then defined the variable "pc" as a string and assigned the text to search for. But my attempt to replace the 2 found values with something like "*" & pc & "*" failed.So I made further attempts because I often read about changing the visibility of pivotitems manually, but unfortunately I wasn’t successful. Those things I tried:
    Sub filterTextPart()    Dim pc As String 'text for filtering pivot    Dim pt As PivotTable    Dim pf As PivotField    Dim pi As PivotItem        Sheets(4).Activate    Set pt = ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable4")    Set pf = pt.PivotFields("[Range].[Profit Center].[Profit Center]")    pc = Sheets(1).Range("C22").Value 'e.g. "_0600"        pt.CubeFields(2).EnableMultiplePageItems = True    pf.ClearAllFilters        'attempt 1 --> runtime error 1004    'pf.PivotFilters.Add2 Type:=xlCaptionContains, Value1:=pc        'attempt 2: pf.PivotItems.Count always returns 0!    For i = 1 To pf.PivotItems.Count        If pf.PivotItems(i) Like "*" & pc & "*" Then            pf.PivotItems(i).Visible = True        Else            pf.PivotItems(i).Visible = False        End If    Next i        'attempt 3: also here no output because no items are found    With pf        For Each pi In .VisibleItems            MsgBox pi.Name        Next pi    End WithEnd Sub
    I would really appreciate any ideas on this… I’m attaching an example file to make the issue more clear. I really need a solution because my original file has over 200.000 data sets and this is really slow by using normal filters without pivot tables. (I’m using Excel 2016 and Windows 10.)Many thanks in advance and best regards,evaem
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Newbie
    Oh dear, all my line breaks are ignored. :o I'm sorry for that. Anybody knows how to change this?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Your code with carriage returns:
    Sub recordedMacro()
    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable4").PivotFields("[Range].[Profit Center].[Profit Center]").VisibleItemsList _
      = Array("[Range].[Profit Center].&[333_0600]", "[Range].[Profit Center].&[444_0600]")
    End Sub

Sub filterTextPart()
    Dim pc As String    'text for filtering pivot
    Dim pt As PivotTable
    Dim pf As PivotField
    Dim pi As PivotItem

Sheets(4).Activate
    Set pt = ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable4")
    Set pf = pt.PivotFields("[Range].[Profit Center].[Profit Center]")
    pc = Sheets(1).Range("C22").Value    'e.g. "_0600"
    pt.CubeFields(2).EnableMultiplePageItems = True
    pf.ClearAllFilters
    'attempt 1 --> runtime error 1004
    'pf.PivotFilters.Add2 Type:=xlCaptionContains, Value1:=pc
    'attempt 2: pf.PivotItems.Count always returns 0!
    For i = 1 To pf.PivotItems.Count
      If pf.PivotItems(i) Like "*" & pc & "*" Then
        pf.PivotItems(i).Visible = True
      Else
        pf.PivotItems(i).Visible = False
      End If
    Next i
    'attempt 3: also here no output because no items are found
    With pf
      For Each pi In .VisibleItems
        MsgBox pi.Name
      Next pi
    End With
    End Sub
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Sage
    I think the easist way would be to add a helper column and use that in the Page Field. Don't need VBA at all that way

Capture.JPG
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Newbie
    Thanks for your help. This workaround works quite well! BR evaem