Consulting

Thread: Issue with Excel Division of Fractions..Not showing correct results

Issue with Excel Division of Fractions..Not showing correct results

Here is what I did..

Generated Random Fractions in Cell B and C and added the result in Cell D. I want it to give me traditional Fraction addition, like we do in school. But its giving weird results.

It is showing 26/29 + 0 = 68/75 !!!!!! Refer attached picture. It shall give me 26/29. (Sample Row 10)
    It is showing 2/11 + 3/7 = 11/18 !!!!! Refer attached picture. It shall give me 47/77. (Sample Row 12)

Please let me how do i achieve traditional Fraction addition , subtraction , multiplication, division in Fractions ???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Images don't help us help you. An Excel file would have helped us help you. As such, I can not replicate your problem. Check the cell formats and decimal numbers at each point.

VBAX Mentor
    It would be much easier for us to find errors if you attach an Excel file, not an image.
    They are probably rounding errors. It is also important how you generated random fractions.

Artik

Attaching excel will not help because every time i save it and re-open it, the number changes. But I am still attaching it.

I exactly did the below -

Step 1: In Cell B3 i typed =RAND() - This gave me a decimal.
    Step 2: In Cell C3 i typed =RAND() - This gave me a decimal.
    Step 3: In cell D3 i typed = B3 + C3 -- This gave me a decimal.
    Step 4: Now i copied B3,C3,D3 and pasted to few more cells.
    Step 5: ** Now i selected everything and changed the Format to Fraction Upto Two digits.

You can try on your sheet and see if the addition of displayed fractions match your traditional calculations......
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Sage
    I did a Copy/Paste Values to 'freeze' the numbers

The fraction format is only approximate. Excel still remembers the full precision value and each cell (including the Sum) is calculated full precision, but displayed as a Fraction

Yellow = Formatted as Fraction
    Orange = the Yellow numbers but formatted as General
    Green = Displayed fraction as full precision number (numerator / denominator)

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Where you're seeing 0 is because the number is too small to display Fraction|Up to 2 digits. In the picture below, the table to the right displays the decimal values of the table to the left (they're just linked). You'll see the zero in the left table is actually 0.009077:
    2019-08-25_232819.png

If you want to see it more like you did at school you could set the workbook to Set precision as displayed:
    2019-08-25_233333.jpg

Be aware that this permanently loses/changes your data, but you end up with:
    2019-08-25_233520.png

Note how the values in the right table have adjusted a bit. The yellow highlighted value in the right table is now zero and you get a 'sensible' fraction in the 3rd column.

Edit post posting: Ahh, Paul beat me to it…
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Thanks a lot for your help and replies.

VBAX Sage
    If you want to get 'normalized' fractions like

1/8 + 1/2 = 5/8

or 1/2 + 70/99 = 239/198

that's harder and won't be exact
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3