Consulting

Thread: MS Access - Forms, Subforms, Tabs... What do I use to accomplish my task?

VBAX Regular
    Question MS Access - Forms, Subforms, Tabs... What do I use to accomplish my task?

I am basic MS Access user, but pretty nifty at watching YouTube to learn. I'm stuck on the name of what I am trying to create in Access.

I have a 9-step audit process and I want one form, with 9 tabs that work as one record.

When I go back to export a table, I need the 9-steps on one row/record.

Does this make sense? If it does please tell me what I am trying to accomplish.

Ever grateful.

VBAX Guru
    It will depend on how much data per Tab (Audit step) you want to capture.
    If it is small emough to be on one line then you might just as well make it One Record in One Table.
    However if you need to store a lot more data then you would place each Audit Step in it's own table as a Linked record.
    I would create a Master (control) Form with the main Audit data on it and then Create Sub forms on the tabs with the Key index field links as their Master/Child links.

So what sort of data are you storing?
    I wrote an 8D Quality Control Problem Solving Investigation database about 20 years ago which had 8 steps and masses of data.

VBAX Regular
    thank you for the info. I will start my research there. I know how to create the tables for each step and i will go from there.

Each step has from 3-6 steps. I setup one form and I felt it was too many fields and it looked cluttered. The data is ridiculously simple. Because multiple people have to sign off and before they sign off they may have questions, steps include fields such as: POC, date audit received by OPPC, id number, type of audit, date final audit response is due, date coordinator received audit, POC, attachment for the inquiry or add the details to notes, date coordinator sent to branch, due date, branch POC, date branch responded, another attachment of response or add to notes. Each step has dates sent, dates received, are you satisfied with the response, if not what correction you require. We get into iterations because the responses have to be perfect and must fully answer whatever is being asked.

It is a tracker to give full visibility into the status of every audit, step by step.

VBAX Guru
    Make sure that if you need sub tables your tables are properly related back to either the main Audit or back to the "Step" table that spawned them.
    Let me me know if you need help with the layout of that.
    I would also have some sub tables for commonly used data, which should be entered once and then selected in a combo drop down list box.
    ie
    Types of Audit
    The names of people who will sign off each step etc
    (POCs) whatever they are
    Departments (if involved)

Don't forget that your Step forms can have a subform for other steps etc

VBAX Regular
    Thank you and thank you for the additional advise. OK time to put my learning hat on......