Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UserForm to Return the MAX date in a TextBox resulting from VLOOKUP in ComboBox

VBAX Regular
    UserForm to Return the MAX date in a TextBox resulting from VLOOKUP in ComboBox

Hi VBaxers,

I have a UserForm that has a ComboBox and Several TextBoxes. One TextBox returns the date from a VLOOKUP of the entry in the ComboBox on the UserForm. This actually works great as far as I have gotten but I am having a few problems with expanding it.

Private Sub SchoolNameComboBox_Change()
    Dim nextApptDate
    nextApptDate = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(SchoolNameComboBox.Value, Worksheets("Future Appointments").Range("A2:J2500"), 6, False)
    ApptDateTextBox.Value = nextApptDate
    If Not IsDate(Me.ApptDateTextBox.Text) Then
        Me.ApptDateTextBox.Text = Format(Me.ApptDateTextBox.Text, "m/d/yyyy")
    End If
    End Sub
    Problem # 1 - Currently this returns the first result from the VLOOKUP (which is a date) but because there may be multiple entry's for the selected value in the ComboBox I need it to return the date that is most in the future.

Problem # 2 - If the VLOOKUP finds a match I want it to return the MAX date but I also have another TextBox on the UserForm that the user will enter a number, this number will represent a number of weeks to advance the date returned i.e. if the VLOOKUP returns 11/1/2019 and there is a value in the other TextBox of 4 then I want the returned value to be 11/1/2019 + 28 days (4 weeks) which would be a result of 11/28/2019.

Problem # 3 - If the user selects from the ComboBox and but the VLOOKUP cannot find a match I want the value in the ApptDateTextBox to be blank, currently it is giving an error.

Thank you so much for any help... you guys have taught me sooooo much over the years and I cannot articulate my appreciation enough!
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-21-2023 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Reduced the whitespace

Problem # 1 - Currently this returns the first result from the VLOOKUP (which is a date) but because there may be multiple entry's for the selected value in the ComboBox I need it to return the date that is most in the future.
    VLookup won't do multiple matches

Problem # 2 - If the VLOOKUP finds a match I want it to return the MAX date
    You can use Find...Findnext, but IMO, arrays are better in your situation
    Dim SchoolNames  As Variant
    Dim SchoolDays As Variant
    Dim i As long
    Dim MaxDate As Date
    Dim ThisName As String

ThisName = SchoolNameComboBox

With Worksheets("Future Appointments")
        SchoolNames = .Range(Intersect(.Range("A2").CurrentRegion, .Range("A:A")))
        SchoolDays =  .Range(Intersect(.Range("A2").CurrentRegion, .Range("F"F"))) 'Edit to fit
    End With

For i = LBound(SchoolNames) + 1 to UBound(SchoolNames) '+1 to skip headers
       If SchoolNames(i) = ThisName Then MaxDate = Max(MaxDate, SchoolDays(i))
    Next i

'If MaxDate = 0 then No Match found

Problem # 2 - I also have another TextBox on the UserForm that the user will enter a number, this number will represent a number of weeks to advance the date returned
    In Microsoft Office, there are differences between Days, Weeks and Months. So 7 days might really be 7 workdays, 4 weeks might not be one month. Google "Excel VBA DateAdd" for more info.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post

If SchoolNames(i) = ThisName Then MaxDate = Max(MaxDate, SchoolDays(i))
    In Microsoft Office, there are differences between Days, Weeks and Months. So 7 days might really be 7 workdays, 4 weeks might not be one month. Google "Excel VBA DateAdd" for more info.
    Hi SamT,

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated! I tried this code but got an error that said "Compile Error Sub of Function not defined" and the "Max" was highlighted in the quoted code above. Not sure what that means... Also, I understand the issues with days you mentioned. What I want to do is whatever date is returned, if there is a number in the other TextBox, take that number *7 and add that to the date returned. What this should do is give what the next appointment date would be after finding the future date already entered on the worksheet then adding the interval entered in weeks. I hope that makes sense.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Max
    needs to be:
    Application.Max
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular
    Thank you p45cal, I have changed that but now I am getting a Run-time error '1004' that says "Application-defined or object-defined error" the portion of code is highlighted...

SchoolNames = .Range(Intersect(.Range("A2").CurrentRegion, .Range("A:A")))

reduce it to
    SchoolNames = Intersect(.Range("A2").CurrentRegion, .Range("A:A"))
    (and similar with the following line where also "F"F" should be "F:F").

Also the following needs the red additions:
    If SchoolNames(i, 1) = ThisName Then MaxDate = Application.Max(MaxDate, SchoolDays(i, 1))
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular

I made the changes and now I am no loner getting the errors but it also is not pulling in any date in the ApptDateTextBox. I am posting all of the code I have so far. I have this entered in the UserForms SchoolNameComboBox_Change Event, is that correct?

Dim i As Long
    Dim MaxDate As Date
    Dim ThisName As String
          SchoolDays = Intersect(.Range("F2").CurrentRegion, .Range("F:F"))  'Edit to fit
    End With
    For i = LBound(SchoolNames) + 1 To UBound(SchoolNames) '+1 to skip headers
          If SchoolNames(i, 1) = ThisName Then MaxDate = Application.Max(MaxDate, SchoolDays(i, 1))
    Next i
    'If MaxDate = 0 then No Match found
    End Sub
    Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-21-2023 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Reduced the whitespace

Finish it with the likes of:
    ApptDateTextBox.text = iif(MaxDate=0,"",MaxDate)
    (Untested)
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-21-2023 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added code tags
    p45cal

I made the changes and now I am no loner getting the errors but it also is not pulling in any date in the ApptDateTextBox.
    Arrgh!

When you see what that code is doing, you will see the answer.

What this should do is give what the next appointment date would be after finding the future date already entered on the worksheet then adding the interval entered in weeks.
    Dim NextAppDate As Date

If TextBoxOther = "" Them
       NextAppDate = maxDate
    Else
       NextAppDate = DateAdd(MaxDate, ww, Clng(TextBoxOther)
    End If
    If you see what that code does, then you can find the hint, the typo, and the error in it by yourself. One each.

VBAX Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    Finish it with the likes of:
    ApptDateTextBox.text = iif(MaxDate=0,"",MaxDate)

(Untested)

THAT DID IT!!! Thank you very much! However I have no idea what the "IIF" is, that is the first time I have seen that. Either way, thank you for your help!

VBAX Regular
    Arrgh!

When you see what that code is doing, you will see the answer.

Dim NextAppDate As Date

If TextBoxOther = "" Them
       NextAppDate = maxDate
    Else
    End If
    I tried this but entering a number in the other TextBox does not advance the date in ApptDateTextBox. What I want it to do is take the number that is entered in WeeklyIntervalTextBox and multiply it by 7 then add it to the date that was returned. By doing this, as an example, if 11/1/2019 is returned in ApptDateTextBox and "4" is entered in WeeklyIntervalTextBox then I want to take the "4" and multiply it by 7 (for days in the week, which would be 28) then add that 28 to the date returned in ApptDateTextBox which would give a final result of 11/29/2019. Also out of curiosity, what is the "ww" and "Clng"? Thank you for your help.

NextAppDate = DateAdd(MaxDate, ww, Clng(weeklyintervaltextbox)

Clng converts the number as text, (the TextBox value,) into a numerical value

I tried this but entering a number in the other TextBox does not advance the date in ApptDateTextBox.
    Of course not, there is nothing in that bit of code that references AppTextBox.

"4" is entered in WeeklyIntervalTextBox then I want to take the "4" and multiply it by 7 (for days in the week, which would be 28)
    Do you want to add days or weeks to the appointment date? There is a difference.
    DateAdd(MaxDate, ww, Clng(WeeklyIntervalTextBox))
    Adds weeks

DateAdd(MaxDate, d, Clng(WeeklyIntervalTextBox) * 7)
    Adds days

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Count the brackets:

Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-21-2023 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added code tags

Do check out the help on DateAdd (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...teadd-function ) and note especially the order in which the arguments should appear and the data type of each argument.
    You may find it easier to just add 7 times what's in the other TextBox to MaxDate.
    2019-10-21_103954.jpg

What is the name of this other TextBox?
    Last edited by p45cal; 10-21-2019 at 03:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    p45cal

VBAX Regular
    p45cal, I will certainly check out the help doc you sent me when I get home tonight. Thank you! I have found so many things on the web, I got confused with it. I am pretty new to InputBox and while I get Arrays in Excel, I am extremely new to arrays in VBA. But just like everything else that Vbaxers have taught me over the last 14 years, this too I will get! You especially have been very helpful over the years so thank you.

What is the name of this other TextBox?
    The other TextBox is Named WeeklyIntervalTextBox.

You may find it easier to just add 7 times what's in the other TextBox to MaxDate.
    That is exactly what I want to do because each appointment is going to be on the same day of the week so the number of weeks x the value entered in WeeklyIntervalTextBox would give me the next appointment, on the same day of the week but that number of weeks into the future.

VBAX Regular
    ww= in DateAdd indicates to add weeks
    Clng converts the number as text, (the TextBox value,) into a numerical value
    Thank you for that clarification.

Of course not, there is nothing in that bit of code that references AppTextBox.
    I am guessing here but... that might help??? The date that is returned from the Array from the earlier post goes into ApptDateTextBox, the value for weeks to advance that date is entered in WeeklyIntervalTextBox. So when the lookup returns the futuremost date for the school (from earlier posts) that date is returned in ApptDateTextBox, however if there is a value entered in WeeklyIntervalTextBox, then I want that date to be advanced by (WeeklyIntervalTextBox * 7)

Do you want to add days or weeks to the appointment date? There is a difference.
    I definitely want to add days rather than weeks, it is just easier for the user to enter the number of weeks and allow the code to take it from there.

DateAdd(MaxDate, d, Clng(WeeklyIntervalTextBox) * 7)
    I will give this a shot once I get home from work today, thank you very much for your help.
    Last edited by infinity; 10-21-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Added some detail to previous post

Add
    Dim Weeks As Double
    at the top then at the bottom:
    On Error Resume Next
    Weeks = CLng(WeeklyIntervalTextBox.Text)
    On Error GoTo 0
    ApptDateTextBox.Text = IIf(MaxDate = 0, "", MaxDate + Weeks * 7)
    (If you put a negative number in you'll get earlier dates.)
    p45cal

Thank P45Cal for catching these syntax errors.
    DateAdd("d", Clng(WeeklyIntervalTextBox) * 7, MaxDate)
    And
    DateAdd("ww", Clng(WeeklyIntervalTextBox), MaxDate)
    Will give the same result.

I always expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

VBAX Regular
    OK, so this is what I have done and it still is not working... I have to apologize, I really am not trying to waste anyone's time but I simply do not understand what I am doing wrong, like I said earlier, I am pretty new to InputBox and very new to Arrays in VBA... what am I doing wrong???

Dim i As Long
    Dim MaxDate As Date
    Dim ThisName As String
    Dim NextAppDate As Date
    Dim Weeks As Double
    Sheets("Future Appointments").Select
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:=""
        SchoolDays = Intersect(.Range("A2").CurrentRegion, .Range("F:F"))  'Edit to fit
    End With
    For i = LBound(SchoolNames) + 1 To UBound(SchoolNames) '+1 to skip headers
    Next i
    ApptDateTextBox.Text = IIf(MaxDate = 0, "", MaxDate)
    If WeeklyIntervalTextBox = "" Then
    NextAppDate = MaxDate
    Else
    NextAppDate = DateAdd(MaxDate, ww, CLng(WeeklyIntervalTextBox))
    End If
    On Error Resume Next
    Weeks = CLng(WeeklyIntervalTextBox.Text)
    On Error GoTo 0
    ApptDateTextBox.Text = IIf(MaxDate = 0, "", MaxDate + Weeks * 7)
    End Sub
    SamT - I really do appreciate your help and I am very good at finding errrors that others leeve in grammar and spelling but with coding, I do not do this for a living and am completely self taught with A LOT of help from all of you at VBAExpress, I couldn't do the things with Excel that I do without everyones help so thank you.
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-21-2023 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Reduced the whitespace

I refer you to the first sentence of msg#14.
    p45cal