Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Array only returning first column of values

VBAX Regular

I had to revert to the second method because i kept getting memory failures. So now my code reads something like this:

Dim No_Data_Columns As Long
    No_Data_Columns = LastColumn - FirstColumn + 1 - 1 '(Take into account the customer ID column)'

Set DatasetRange = Range(Cells(FirstRow + Nmbr_Headers, FirstColumn + 1), Cells(LastRow, LastColumn)) 'all data incl headers, i've been playing around wiht this, can obviously adjust it to be just the values only and not the headers

Dim Dataset() As Variant
    ReDim Dataset(1 To No_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns)

Dim i As Integer
    i = 1

For Each cll In DatasetRange.Cells
    Dataset(i) = cll
    i = i + 1
    Next cll

Cells(200, 10).Resize(UBound(Dataset)).Value = Application.Transpose(Dataset)

I didn't realize for ages about the transpose thing. But I think i got it. Thanks for your help - think i finally am getting the hang of these arrays.

Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    if you choose this code:
    For Each rw In myRng.Rows
      For Each cll In rw.Cells
        Dataset(i, 1) = cll
        i = i + 1
      Next cll
    Next rw
    it can be shortened to:
      For Each cll In myRng.Cells
        Dataset(i, 1) = cll
        i = i + 1
      Next cll

If you have a much bigger grid to convert, it can be sped up considerably with a tweak to reduce the number of times the sheet is read from, to once, instead of 16 in your example.

VBAX Regular
    I think I got there. Here's my code in case this is helpful to anyone! Heads up - it's probably pretty ugly, but it does work quite dynamically. Thanks to Pascal especially for the help. This is an awesome forum!! You all are awesome.

SubLG_Data_Converter_2()

'Part 1 -Convert_Data

Dim Nmbr_Headers AsByte
    Nmbr_Headers = 2

' OR Nmbr_Headers =Application.InputBox("Input Required", "How many Header Rows arethere?", Type:=1, Default:=2)
    Dim FirstRow AsLong, LastRow As Long, FirstColumn As Long, LastColumn As Long
    FirstRow =Cells.Find("*", , , , xlByRows, xlNext).Row
    LastRow =Cells.Find("*", , , , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
    FirstColumn =Cells.Find("*", , , , xlByColumns, xlNext).Column
    LastColumn =Cells.Find("*", , , , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column

Dim No_Data_Rows AsLong
    No_Data_Rows =LastRow - FirstRow - Nmbr_Headers + 1

Dim No_Data_ColumnsAs Long
    No_Data_Columns =LastColumn - FirstColumn + 1 - 1 '(Take into account the customer ID column)'

Set DatasetRange =Range(Cells(FirstRow + Nmbr_Headers, FirstColumn + 1), Cells(LastRow,LastColumn))

Dim Dataset() AsVariant
    ReDim Dataset(1 ToNo_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns)

a = 1

For Each cll InDatasetRange.Cells
    Dataset(a) = cll
    a = a + 1
    Next cll

'Convert Metric

Set Metric_Row =Range(Cells(FirstRow, FirstColumn + 1), Cells(FirstRow, LastColumn))

Dim Metric_Set AsVariant
    ReDim Metric_Set(1To No_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns)

b = 1

Do
    For Each Cell InMetric_Row.Cells
    Metric_Set(b) = Cell
    b = b + 1
    Next Cell
    Loop Until b =((No_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns) + 1)

'Convert Date

&nbsp

VBAX Regular

SubLG_Data_Converter_2()

'Part 1 -Convert_Data

Dim Nmbr_Headers AsByte
    Nmbr_Headers = 2

' OR Nmbr_Headers =Application.InputBox("Input Required", "How many Header Rows arethere?", Type:=1, Default:=2)
    Dim FirstRow AsLong, LastRow As Long, FirstColumn As Long, LastColumn As Long
    FirstRow =Cells.Find("*", , , , xlByRows, xlNext).Row
    LastRow =Cells.Find("*", , , , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
    FirstColumn =Cells.Find("*", , , , xlByColumns, xlNext).Column
    LastColumn =Cells.Find("*", , , , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column

Dim No_Data_Rows AsLong
    No_Data_Rows =LastRow - FirstRow - Nmbr_Headers + 1

Dim No_Data_ColumnsAs Long
    No_Data_Columns =LastColumn - FirstColumn + 1 - 1 '(Take into account the customer ID column)'

Set DatasetRange =Range(Cells(FirstRow + Nmbr_Headers, FirstColumn + 1), Cells(LastRow,LastColumn))

Dim Dataset() AsVariant
    ReDim Dataset(1 ToNo_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns)

a = 1

For Each cll InDatasetRange.Cells
    Dataset(a) = cll
    a = a + 1
    Next cll

'Convert Metric

Set Metric_Row =Range(Cells(FirstRow, FirstColumn + 1), Cells(FirstRow, LastColumn))

Dim Metric_Set AsVariant
    ReDim Metric_Set(1To No_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns)

b = 1

Do
    For Each Cell InMetric_Row.Cells
    Metric_Set(b) = Cell
    b = b + 1
    Next Cell
    Loop Until b =((No_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns) + 1)

'Convert Date

Set Date_Row =Range(Cells(FirstRow + 1, FirstColumn + 1), Cells(FirstRow + 1, LastColumn))

Dim Date_Set AsVariant
    ReDim Date_Set(1 ToNo_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns)

c = 1

Do
    For Each Cell InDate_Row.Cells
    Date_Set(c) = Cell
    c = c + 1
    Next Cell
    Loop Until c =((No_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns) + 1)

'Convert Customer_ID

Set ID_Column =Range(Cells(FirstRow + Nmbr_Headers, FirstColumn), Cells(LastRow, FirstColumn))

Dim ID_Set AsVariant
    ReDim ID_Set(1 ToNo_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns)

d = 1
    e = 0

For Each Cell InID_Column.Cells
    Do
    ID_Set(d) = Cell
    d = d + 1
    e = e + 1
    Loop Until e =No_Data_Columns
    e = 0
    Next Cell

Dim Sheet AsWorksheet
    Set Sheet =ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Add(After:=ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(ActiveWorkbook. Worksheets.Count))
    Sheet.Name ="Converted_Data"

Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(4,3) = "ID"
    Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(4,4) = "Period"
    Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(4,5) = "Metric"
    Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(4,6) = "Value"

Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(5,3).Resize(UBound(ID_Set)).Value = Application.Transpose(ID_Set)
    Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(5,4).Resize(UBound(Date_Set)).Value = Application.Transpose(Date_Set)
    Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(5,5).Resize(UBound(Metric_Set)).Value = Application.Transpose(Metric_Set)
    Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(5,6).Resize(UBound(Dataset)).Value = Application.Transpose(Dataset)

End Sub

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    The attached hopefully contains something more flexible.
    You have already explored many ways of determining the extent of the table, the number of header rows and columns. I leave that to you.
    The macro is called blah and it's in the p45cal code module.
    The attached only asks the user to identify the whole table and then the databody of the table, the code then works out the rest. It also tries to create headers from that top left part of the table where column headers and row headers intersect. There is no convention which says what these labels refer to so inevitably the bottom right cell of this range is used twice as a header - up to you to update the incorrect output header manually.
    As I've left it, the code is meant to be run by stepping through it so that you can follow what's being copied from where to where. There are many lines which can later be removed, labeled with the comment: 'debug line.
    I've left several sheets with the results, being your original sheet along with others with different headers, and one with no headers at all.

I haven't used arrays at all in the code, there are many read/writes to the sheet, one cell's value being transferred at a time; this doesn't copy formatting (using arrays wouldn't copy formatting either) but there is an alternative, commented-out line below each transfer line which does copy formatting. If your tables are huge this method will be slow. If I get the time and the inclination (and the say so from you) I could rewrite an array version which would be hundreds of times faster.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Be very careful with Transpose!
    If you add a line:
    x = Application.Transpose(Date_Set)
    to your code and examine/compare Date_Set and x in the Locals pane you will see that while Date_Set contains values of type Date, x contains values of type String. When strings are written to the sheet you're hoping that whichever locale you're using Excel in the date format is the same as the strings in x, because Excel tries to be helpful and converts a string that looks like a date, into a real date but will get it wrong if the month/day position is different as in US/UK dates.

You can avoid Transpose by changing:
    ReDim Date_Set(1 To No_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns)
    to:
    ReDim Date_Set(1 To No_Data_Rows * No_Data_Columns, 1 To 1)

and changing:
    Date_Set(c) = Cell
    to:
    Date_Set(c, 1) = Cell

and changing:
    Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(5, 4).Resize(UBound(Date_Set)).Value = Application.Transpose(Date_Set)
    to:
    Sheets("Converted_Data").Cells(5, 4).Resize(UBound(Date_Set)).Value = Date_Set
    Last edited by p45cal; 11-22-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular
    Got it. I'll look through that again - I don't like transpose much at all but it was the only way i could get the damn thing to work. I need to review your code thoroughly this weekend. Thank you so much for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Lwebzer View Post
    I don't like transpose much at all but it was the only way i could get the damn thing to work.
    See update to my previous message
    p45cal