Consulting

Thread: MS security update causes query corruption error

MS security update causes query corruption error

The Microsoft security update for 11/12/19 generates problems with certain update queries. You get the error "(query name) query is corrupt" Apparently this occurs when you use an update query to have a table or query update to itself, like setting numeric fields to zero, something like that.

Apparently Microsoft is aware of this bug and has a fix, but I've been unable to find it.
    One of my customers is currently down and I'm eager to find the MS fix.

Anyone familiar with this problem? And do you know the fix?
    thx.

I just saw on a MS website that a fix for Access 2010 and Access 2013 will be out 11/22 (estimated!). So I guess we just hold our breath and wait.
    Last edited by DBinPhilly; 11-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.

VBAX Guru

They also affect VBA, Excel & Word.

FYI, I keep installing Windows updates and none of them fix the problem. The only option that works is returning to a version prior to this screwup. This must be affecting users worldwide.

VBAX Guru
    It shows how complicated MS Windows & MS Office have become and suggests that they no longer understand all the inter-reactions that happen.
    It not only affects queries, but also reports, VBA and emailing and can create problems opening multiple workbooks etc.
    The problem for users is do you keep your programs working as they should and risk security if it is a security update or spend hours trying to find a workaround, if there is one.

Anyone able to find anything new on this? Also what update caused this? I've had two updates since the 12th - KB4523203 and KB5160858. How far back do I need to go? The most recent update I had before those was installed on 9/23 and is update KB4512576

Edit - I was looking through the windows updates rather than the office updates specifically. Went in and removed "Security Update for Microsoft Office 2013(KB4484119)" and have fixed my accdb issues
    Last edited by cwojtak; 12-03-2019 at 10:58 AM.

VBAX Guru
    Well done identifying the specific Update hat caused your problem.
    Hopefully it will help any others with the same issue.

Anyone know if this is impacting office 365? I'm considering updating my office to 365 but have two concerns.

1. If I upgrade and this Query issue is still a thing, will I even be able to uninstall the KB Pack that caused these issues? Or will I be stuck with a bunch of corrupt queries?

2. I have a significant number of Macros that I have written, all on the 2013 64-bit version of office. These macros interact with access, outlook, and much more. Most are rooted in excel. Would the new version of office require modification to these VBA codes I have written?

Any input is appreciated!

Did some more research - Here is a list of fixes that vary based on your version of office
    https://codekabinett.com/rdumps.php?...vember-2019-11

Here is the Office 365 update that solved it (version 1911)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...10-november-18

I have yet to test any of these patches - Simply providing for reference

VBAX Guru
    Well done in finding them and thanks for sharing them with us.

Quote Originally Posted by cwojtak View Post
    Did some more research - Here is a list of fixes that vary based on your version of office
    https://codekabinett.com/rdumps.php?...vember-2019-11

Here is the Office 365 update that solved it (version 1911)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...10-november-18

I have yet to test any of these patches - Simply providing for reference
    I've tested the patches for Access 2013 and Access 2010 and both worked for me.
    You people have been most helpful.
    I thank you.

VBAX Guru