Consulting

Thread: How to automate request information into excel spreadsheet- no idea where to start

VBAX Regular
    How to automate request information into excel spreadsheet- no idea where to start

Hello
    I need some suggestions as to how to automate a “request process” from multiple users.
    Currently I have paper chits that users fill out and we data entry onto a shared spreadsheet. I have approx 176 students who are the Users . Multiple requests will be sent from each of these Users based on their requirements. For 2019 my team received 3000 requests all of which were data entered into a shared spreadsheet
    This has gone on for some years and it is getting quite onerous. I am sure that there is a smarter way of doing this. I have looked at google docs and have done some browsing on various forums. Word user forms or excel forms may be a solution to this pickle.
    I work for Govt so the system is quite locked down and I have access to the basic MS suite of products but not Access. There is as usual no $ available, I don’t mind what product is used as long there are time savings.
    As way of explanation each “request chit” has the following info:
    · Date of request
    · User Id
    · Year level
    · Users name
    · Unit required
    · Date of Appt
    · Day of Appt
    · Time of the Appt
    · Book name
    This is what I was dreaming of. Each User to have access to the User form (or other) with all this information. The user to email the User form to a generic email address and for my staff to be able to import this data onto a spreadsheet so that the request can be filled. Also a receipt confirmation stating that the User form has been received.
    I have no idea on how to go about this but I feel sure that this type of request has been made before.
    Any suggestions ( constructive ones only please… yes I can think better things to do also ) or links to info that I can refer to and explore would be gratefully received.

I guess it would depend on how automated you perceive the new process should be.

Suggestion #1:

In place of the paper chits, you could utilize a freebie website to create an email response page. The student goes to that webpage, completes the fields in the page, then clicks the send button. The information
    is automatically emailed to the address you include in the programming of the webpage. Instead of processing a paper chit, your processor/s review the incoming emails and transfer the data to the shared workbook.

Suggestion #2:

You could create a GOOGLE Spreadsheet that would do the same thing. Regretfully, I do not have any experience working with Google Spreadsheets. I understand it is designed to do about the same stuff Excel is able
    to accomplish ... so I am presuming you can create a sheet that will email the data. That may be incorrect.

Suggestion #3:

You could create an Excel workbook that replaces the paper chit. The student completes the various fields of information and when they click a SEND button, Excel VBA auto-sends the data via email.
    I'm not certain where you would place this workbook for easy access by all the students ????

When the email is received, your processor/s enter the data to the shared workbook.

Or, if the shared workbook is easily accessible via the internet (or intranet within the school), the student's workbook would send the data directly to the shared workbook, bypassing the need for processing
    by your staff.

And I presume there are probably other scenarios not presently considered.

Resources :

How to email from Excel : https://www.rondebruin.nl/win/s1/outlook/mail.htm (the student's computer must have MS Outlook for most all of the examples found here).

Search for examples of coping a Sheet Range into the body of an email created by Excel.

Hope this helps.

VBAX Regular
    Suggestion 1 ... is worth a look . are there particular sites ? new to this
    I have done some of suggestion two but got no further with the management here
    Thanks for your input

I use this website : https://www.wix.com/

They have a freebie service for a basic site that includes a CONTACT page. You could use that as your response page for the students and
    design it to match the existing paper chits.

Merry Christmas

ps: Sorry to hear about the volcano eruption there. Trust no one was seriously injured.