Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Abbreviate the next succeeding instances of scientific names

Abbreviate the next succeeding instances of scientific names

I have a string (in a textbox) that contains several instances of a scientific name (inside SN tags). What I would like is that for each succeeding instance(s) of a scientific name, the name is abbreviated. For example, for the first instance of a scientific name (e.g. Escherichia Coli), it is fully expanded, e.g. <SN>Escherichia Coli</SN> and for the next succeeding instance, it is abbreviated. Genus or the first word of the scientific name is only the first letter followed by the period and then the specie name, e.g. <SN>E. Coli</SN>. It is not only Escherichia Coli but for all scientific names enclosed in <SN> tags. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a representative sample of the WB.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Does this have to be done in a textbox in Excel?
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

the answer is a yes, Paul but I am open to other options as well but would prefer a textbox.

Easily done in Word if you're happy to do it there. For example:
    Sub Demo()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim Rng As Range, StrTxt As String
    With ActiveDocument.Range
      With .Find
        .ClearFormatting
        .Replacement.ClearFormatting
        .Text = "(\<SN\>[A-Z])[!.]@( *\</SN\>)"
        .Replacement.Text = ""
        .Forward = True
        .Wrap = wdFindStop
        .Format = False
        .MatchWildcards = True
        .Execute
      End With
      Do While .Find.Found
        Set Rng = .Duplicate
        StrTxt = Split(Split(.Text, ">")(1), "<")(0)
        .Text = "<SN>" & StrTxt & " (" & Left(StrTxt, 1) & "." & _
          Right(StrTxt, Len(StrTxt) - InStr(StrTxt, " ") + 1) & ")</SN>"
        StrTxt = "(\<SN\>" & Left(StrTxt, 1) & ")" & _
          Mid(StrTxt, 2, InStr(StrTxt, " ") - 2) & "(" & _
          Right(StrTxt, Len(StrTxt) - InStr(StrTxt, " ") + 1) & "\</SN\>)"
        With Rng
          .End = ActiveDocument.Range.End
          With .Find
            .Text = StrTxt
            .Replacement.Text = "\1.\2"
            .Forward = True
            .Wrap = wdFindStop
            .MatchWildcards = True
            .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
          End With
        End With
        .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
        .Find.Execute
      Loop
    End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub
    As it seems you're wedded to Excel, you could automate Word from Excel, copy the textbox content (not the textbox) into a new Word document, then run the above (suitably modified for automation) before copying the result back to the Excel textbox, closing the document w/o saving and quitting Word.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

wow i will probably just do that and call the word macro from excel. thanks a lot Paul.

<SN>Escherichia coli</SN>, is a type of bacteria that normally lives in your intestines. It’s also found in the gut of some animals. Most types of <SN>Escherichia coli</SN> are harmless and even help keep your digestive tract healthy. But some strains can cause diarrhea if you eat contaminated food or drink fouled water. While many of us associate <SN>Escherichia coli</SN> with food poisoning, you can also get pneumonia and urinary tract infections from different types of the bacteria. In fact, 75% to 95% of urinary tract infections are caused by <SN>Escherichia coli</SN>. Some versions of <SN>Escherichia coli</SN> make you sick by making a toxin called Shiga. This toxin damages the lining of your intestine. The strains of <SN>Escherichia coli</SN> that make the toxin are sometimes called STEC, which is short for “Shiga toxin-producing <SN>Escherichia coli</SN>.” One especially bad strain, O157:H7, can make you very sick. It causes abdominal cramps, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. It is the leading cause of acute kidney failure in children.
    into
    <SN>Escherichia coli (E. coli)</SN>, is a type of bacteria that normally lives in your intestines. It’s also found in the gut of some animals. Most types of <SN>E. coli</SN> are harmless and even help keep your digestive tract healthy. But some strains can cause diarrhea if you eat contaminated food or drink fouled water. While many of us associate <SN>E. coli</SN> with food poisoning, you can also get pneumonia and urinary tract infections from different types of the bacteria. In fact, 75% to 95% of urinary tract infections are caused by <SN>E. coli</SN>. Some versions of <SN>E. coli</SN> make you sick by making a toxin called Shiga. This toxin damages the lining of your intestine. The strains of <SN>E. coli</SN> that make the toxin are sometimes called STEC, which is short for “Shiga toxin-producing <SN>E. coli</SN>.” One especially bad strain, O157:H7, can make you very sick. It causes abdominal cramps, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. It is the leading cause of acute kidney failure in children.
    Note the parenthetic insertion into the first term.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

hi paul i dont really need the parenthetic insertion during the first instance. can you remove it?

.Text = "<SN>" & StrTxt & " (" & Left(StrTxt, 1) & "." & _ Right(StrTxt, Len(StrTxt) - InStr(StrTxt, " ") + 1) & ")</SN>"
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Mentor
    Without going outside, in warm slippers and sitting in front of the computer.
    The code should be placed in the Sheet1 module. After entering the text (or pasting) into TextBox1, press ESC or click the mouse outside of TextBox1.
    Private Sub TextBox1_LostFocus()
        Dim lPos1       As Long
        Dim lPos2       As Long
        Dim lPos3       As Long
        Dim strToChange As String
        Dim strNew      As String
        Dim strLeft     As String
        Dim strTxt      As String

strTxt = Me.TextBox1.Text

lPos1 = InStr(1, strTxt, "<SN>", vbTextCompare)

If lPos1 > 0 Then
            lPos2 = InStr(1, strTxt, "</SN>", vbTextCompare)
            strToChange = Mid(strTxt, lPos1 + Len("<SN>"), lPos2 - lPos1 - Len("<SN>"))

lPos3 = InStr(1, strToChange, Space(1), vbTextCompare)
            strNew = Left(strToChange, 1) & "." & Mid(strToChange, lPos3)

strToChange = "<SN>" & strToChange & "</SN>"
            strNew = "<SN>" & strNew & "</SN>"
            strLeft = Left(strTxt, lPos2 + Len("</SN>"))

With Me.TextBox2
                .Value = strLeft & Replace(strTxt, strToChange, strNew, Len(strLeft) + 1, , vbTextCompare)
                .Activate
                .SelStart = 0
                .SelLength = Len(.Text)
            End With

End If

End Sub
    Artik

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Use:

Sub M_snb()
        sn = Split(Replace(Sheet1.TextBox1.Text, "/", ""), "<SN>")
        c00 = "<SN>" & Left(sn(1), 1) & ". " & Split(sn(1))(1) & "</SN>" 

For j = 3 To UBound(sn) Step 2
           sn(j) = c00
        Next

MsgBox Join(sn, "")
    End Sub

thanks Paul.

Artik/snb,
    These are great alernatives. With these I dont have to go outside excel. thnks alot

This code is sufficient:

Sub M_snb()
      c00 = Sheet1.TextBox1.Text
      c01 = Split(Split(c00, ">")(1), "<")(0)

MsgBox Left(c00, InStr(c00, "</") - 1) & Replace(c00, c01, Left(c01, 1) & ". " & Split(c01)(1), InStr(c00, "</"))
    End Sub

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggerbox View Post
    It is not only Escherichia Coli but for all scientific names enclosed in <SN> tags.
    I thought I'd address this because most suggestions haven't.

I have attached a representative sample of the WB.
    It's not especially representative because there's only one scientific name!

In the attached I've had a go with 2 macros:
    Sub blah()
    Set Dict = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
    TheString = Sheet1.TextBox1.Text
    Debug.Print TheString
    SplitString = Split(TheString, "<SN>")
    For Each PartString In SplitString
      Posn = InStr(PartString, "</SN>")
      If Posn > 0 Then
        TagContents = "<SN>" & Left(PartString, Posn - 1) & "</SN>"
        If Not Dict.exists(TagContents) Then
          AbbreviatedTag = Split(Application.Trim(TagContents))
          AbbreviatedTag(0) = Left(AbbreviatedTag(0), 5) & "."
          AbbreviatedTag = Join(AbbreviatedTag)
          Dict.Add TagContents, AbbreviatedTag
          myCount = Len(TheString) - Len(Application.Substitute(TheString, TagContents, AbbreviatedTag)) / (Len(TagContents) - Len(AbbreviatedTag))
          For i = 2 To myCount
            TheString = Application.Substitute(TheString, TagContents, AbbreviatedTag, 2)
          Next i
        End If
      End If
    Next PartString
    Sheet1.TextBox2.Text = TheString
    End Sub
    and
    Sub blah2()
    Set Dict = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
    TheString = Sheet1.TextBox1.Text
    Debug.Print TheString
    SearchFrom = 1
    Do
      Posn1 = InStr(SearchFrom, TheString, "<SN>")
      Posn2 = InStr(Posn1, TheString, "</SN>")
      TagContents = Application.Trim(Mid(TheString, Posn1, Posn2 - Posn1))
      If Dict.exists(TagContents) Then
        LeftBit = Left(TheString, Posn1 - 1)
        RightBit = Mid(TheString, Posn2)
        TheString = LeftBit & Dict(TagContents) & RightBit
        SearchFrom = Len(LeftBit & Dict(TagContents)) + 6
      Else
        AbbreviatedTag = Split(TagContents)
        AbbreviatedTag(0) = Left(AbbreviatedTag(0), 5) & "."
        AbbreviatedTag = Join(AbbreviatedTag)
        Dict.Add TagContents, AbbreviatedTag
        SearchFrom = Posn2 + 5
      End If
    Loop Until InStr(SearchFrom, TheString, "<SN>") = 0
    Sheet1.TextBox2.Text = TheString
    End Sub
    If there's no space within a tag one of them puts 2 dots after the first letter, the other a single dot, so one needs some attention.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    It is not only Escherichia Coli but for all scientific names enclosed in <SN> tags.
    I thought I'd address this because most suggestions haven't.
    The code I posted does...

This:
    Genus or the first word of the scientific name is only the first letter followed by the period and then the specie name, e.g. <SN>E. Coli</SN>
    clearly indicates there is always a Genus and a Species.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

snb, might you have changed one or both of them since you first posted?
    Anyway, starting with:
    <SN>Escherichia coli</SN>, is a type of bacteria that normally lives in your intestines. It’s also found in the gut of some animals. Most types of <SN>Escherichia coli</SN> are harmless and even help keep your digestive tract healthy. But some strains can cause diarrhea if you eat contaminated food or drink fouled water. While many of us associate <SN>Blinking unicorn</SN> with food poisoning, you can also get pneumonia and urinary tract infections from different types of the bacteria. In fact, 75% to 95% of urinary tract infections are caused by <SN>Blinking unicorn</SN>. Some versions of <SN>Escherichia coli</SN> make you sick by making a toxin called Shiga. This toxin damages the lining of your intestine. The strains of <SN>Escherichia coli</SN> that make the toxin are sometimes called STEC, which is short for “Shiga toxin-producing <SN>Escherichia coli</SN>.” One especially bad strain, O157:H7, can make you very sick. It causes abdominal cramps, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. It is the leading cause of acute kidney failure in children.

The OP is expecting:
    <SN>Escherichia coli</SN>, is a type of bacteria that normally lives in your intestines. It’s also found in the gut of some animals. Most types of <SN>E. coli</SN> are harmless and even help keep your digestive tract healthy. But some strains can cause diarrhea if you eat contaminated food or drink fouled water. While many of us associate <SN>Blinking unicorn</SN> with food poisoning, you can also get pneumonia and urinary tract infections from different types of the bacteria. In fact, 75% to 95% of urinary tract infections are caused by <SN>B. unicorn</SN>. Some versions of <SN>E. coli</SN> make you sick by making a toxin called Shiga. This toxin damages the lining of your intestine. The strains of <SN>E. coli</SN> that make the toxin are sometimes called STEC, which is short for “Shiga toxin-producing <SN>E. coli</SN>.” One especially bad strain, O157:H7, can make you very sick. It causes abdominal cramps, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. It is the leading cause of acute kidney failure in children.

your code in msg#10 gives:
    Escherichia coli, is a type of bacteria that normally lives in your intestines. It’s also found in the gut of some animals. Most types of <SN>E. coli</SN> are harmless and even help keep your digestive tract healthy. But some strains can cause diarrhea if you eat contaminated food or drink fouled water. While many of us associate <SN>E. coli</SN> with food poisoning, you can also get pneumonia and urinary tract infections from different types of the bacteria. In fact, 75% to 95% of urinary tract infections are caused by <SN>E. coli</SN>. Some versions of <SN>E. coli</SN> make you sick by making a toxin called Shiga. This toxin damages the lining of your intestine. The strains of <SN>E. coli</SN> that make the toxin are sometimes called STEC, which is short for “Shiga toxin-producing <SN>E. coli</SN>.” One especially bad strain, O157:H7, can make you very sick. It causes abdominal cramps, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. It is the leading cause of acute kidney failure in children.

Problems in blue, tags have disappeared, no B. unicorn at all (abbreviated or not), they've become E. coli.

your code in msg#12 gives:
    <SN>Escherichia coli</SN>, is a type of bacteria that normally lives in your intestines. It’s also found in the gut of some animals. Most types of <SN>E. coli</SN> are harmless and even help keep your digestive tract healthy. But some strains can cause diarrhea if you eat contaminated food or drink fouled water. While many of us associate <SN>Blinking unicorn</SN> with food poisoning, you can also get pneumonia and urinary tract infections from different types of the bacteria. In fact, 75% to 95% of urinary tract infections are caused by <SN>Blinking unicorn</SN>. Some versions of <SN>E. coli</SN> make you sick by making a toxin called Shiga. This toxin damages the lining of your intestine. The strains of <SN>E. coli</SN> that make the toxin are sometimes called STEC, which is short for “Shiga toxin-producing <SN>E. coli</SN>.” One especially bad strain, O157:H7, can make you very sick. It causes abdominal cramps, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. It is the leading cause of acute kidney failure in children.

Blue problem, no abbreviation B. Unicorn.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Sage
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

To remove all unicorns:

Sub M_snb()
      c00 = Sheet1.TextBox1.Text

For Each it In Filter(Split(c00, ">"), "/")
        c01 = Left(it, 1) & ". " & Split(it)(1)
        If InStr(c00, c01) = 0 Then c00 = Replace(Replace(c00, it, c01), c01, it, , 1)
      Next

MsgBox c00
    End Sub
    Last edited by snb; 12-24-2019 at 02:37 AM.

Finally!
    Fingers crossed there aren't different tags with repeating contents.
    p45cal

Great work guys, notably p45cal. Didn't think this was too complicated.