Consulting

Thread: Excel to Word VBA. Macros blocked by enterprise admin. What path to go down now?

Excel to Word VBA. Macros blocked by enterprise admin. What path to go down now?

With the help of many on this board, over the course of the last month I create a pretty elaborate process using Excel/Word VBA for my org at work. I put over 40 hours into it, and was slated to save my 24 peers around 30 hours of work on a monthly basis (720 hours total monthly for those keeping score).

The process did the following:

• Collects/formats data entered into Excel365
    • Creates a list of cells that are populated which is scrubbed and prepared for transmission to Word.
    • Based on checkboxes selected in Excel365, list out the local folder of over 100 topics used in our customer reviews
    • Opens an instance of Word. Populates data using find/replace
    • Looks at file locations (ie: C:\Worksheet\topic1.html) listed in the Word365 Document, and imports the content in the local html files.
    • Uses Word VBA to apply styling to the html data (ie: <b>bold</b> would then show as bold).
    • Saves a new instance of that Word Document as CompanyName.docx

The problem is I got the dreaded alert below while trying to install the process on a co-workers machine. I am not sure I will be able to use macros with our corporate policy. Which as a side-note is a bit odd to me because the process worked on my machines that have the same settings.

So what next? I do have a background in computer science, but haven't programmed in over a decade. My main question is:

What program language is similar to VBA, that will be able to execute a similar process for what I have listed above? I am willing to create an actual executable program, that does the following:

• Open and instance of word, and populate a large variety of data that can be stylized (including hyperlinks, images, styling of text etc).
    • Collect data entered for a particular customer.

The new process can circumvent the need for Excel, but I do need to allow the end user to view this data in Word.

Any advise on where to go from here would be incredibly appreciated.

This has been cross posted at Mr Excel.
    Last edited by noslenwerd; 01-15-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: add link to cross post

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Talk to your IT admin people. The solution may be as simple as storing your macro-enabled document in a trusted location that your co-workers have access to.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Thanks Macropod. I work for a pretty large corporation and am having trouble finding the right person.

Do you know if this is typically a situation where files would be stored on a network drive? I read a bit about potentially utilizing SharePoint?

If you have a moment I would be curious to hear any success you have had with a shared trusted location.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    A trusted location in a corporate environment would ordinarily be on a network drive. Since I'm retired, this isn't an issue for me. However, it's a fairly basic facility with modern versions on Windows & Office.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]