Consulting

Thread: Changing ActiveX Image Control Picture

VBAX Regular
    Changing ActiveX Image Control Picture

Good morning everyone,

Each week I have to replace approximately 50 pictures in a project document (MS Word).

I currently have 5 projects I am dealing with and am looking for a better/more efficient solution other than copying/pasting/resizing each picture.

The pictures are in the same order in every project's report.

I have each of the projects pictures in a separate folder.

It would be wonderful to either activate a button or even get them to automatically update when the document is opened.

I unsuccessfully attempted to use ActiveX Image Controls and couldn't manage to get the .Picture parameter to change.

I am looking for ideas, at the current moment. I will play with the code, to begin with, then more than likely be back with questions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chunk

Forget ActiveX controls. You need Picture Content controls. If you insert such controls and title them Picture1 to Picture50 then it is a simple matter to loop through the images and add a corresponding numbered image. e.g.

Dim oCC As ContentControl
    Dim i As Integer
        For i = 1 To 503
            Set oCC = ActiveDocument.SelectContentControlsByTitle("Picture" & i).Item(1)
            oCC.Range.InlineShapes.AddPicture "C:\Path\ImageName" & i & ".png"
        Next i
        Set oCC = Nothing
    Obviously in this case the images must also be named ImageName1 to ImageName50 and all be in the same folder, which seems unlikely, so you are going to have to list the images and correspond them to the appropriate content controls. If the names of the images are subject to constant change then you will need to produce an appropriate list each time and relate the lines of that list to the numbered controls. A text file with a filename and its path on each line in the order that they are placed is the simplest approach and you could then modify the code as follows to read that text file and fill the content controls.
    Sub InsertImages()
    Const strFilename As String = "C:\Path\ImageList.txt"
    Dim oCC As ContentControl
    Dim iFile As Integer, i As Integer
    Dim strDataLine As String
        iFile = FreeFile()
        Open strFilename For Input As #iFile
        i = 0
        On Error GoTo lbl_Exit
        While Not EOF(iFile)
            i = i + 1
            Line Input #iFile, strDataLine
            Set oCC = ActiveDocument.SelectContentControlsByTitle("Picture" & i).Item(1)
            oCC.Range.InlineShapes.AddPicture strDataLine
        Wend
    lbl_Exit:
        Set oCC = Nothing
    End Sub
    If the images are all together or in blocks of multiple images, you may find https://www.gmayor.com/photo_gallery_template.html useful. As for inserting content controls and/or retitling them see https://www.gmayor.com/insert_content_control_addin.htm
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com