Consulting

Thread: Stop label controls on forms from changing width when editing label text

VBAX Regular
    Stop label controls on forms from changing width when editing label text

Is there a way to stop label controls on forms from auto-sizing (changing width) when editing the text in the label in design view?

Currently the label width decreases (or increases) to match the text entered/changed. I would prefer that the label width not change. I believe that this was not the default behavior of labels when using earlier versions of Access and perhaps started with Access 365. There does not seem to be a property under the Format tab on the Property Sheet to change this behavior. I'm hoping there is a more hidden property that can be changed using VBA code to turn this 'auto-size' feature off. If there is, I would simply write some VBA code to cycle through all the label controls on a form to turn the auto-sizing property off.

Thanks in advance for any info, even if it is a definitive response that this is not possible with Access 365 and that I'm stuck with this auto-size behavior.

VBAX Guru
    But as you say older versions have fixed width labels that you control with the Width property.
    They do not have a "can grow" or "can shrink" property.

Hey there, thanks for asking. What programm software are you using? Have you tried checking for essay papers? As far as I know older versions of Access 365 had manual Width control. Hope I was of use.

Quote Originally Posted by hkeiner View Post
    Is there a way to stop label controls on forms from auto-sizing (changing width) when editing the text in the label in design view?

Currently the label width decreases (or increases) to match the text entered/changed. I would prefer that the label width not change. I believe that this was not the default behavior of labels when using earlier versions of Access and perhaps started with Access 365. There does not seem to be a property under the Format tab on the Property Sheet to change this behavior. I'm hoping there is a more hidden property that can be changed using VBA code to turn this 'auto-size' feature off. If there is, I would simply write some VBA code to cycle through all the label controls on a form to turn the auto-sizing property off.

Thanks in advance for any info, even if it is a definitive response that this is not possible with Access 365 and that I'm stuck with this auto-size behavior.
    To avoid this issue, I edit the label caption in the property sheet.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

VBAX Newbie
    Hm, I also dont know Access 365 and I have a similar problem. Sorry for asking, but where can I find property sheet to edit the label caption? I'm new here. Cause I asked my friend about it, he works at writing service and he is a pro at assignment writing so I thought he will gimme a piece of advice but he is strong only at writing assignmetns and other papers. Pls answer me, cause I cannot find a guide about it. Thanks!

VBAX Guru
    The property sheet can be accessed when the Form or report is in design view.

VBAX Newbie
    As OBP says, be in Design view. Make sure you are under the Disign Tab on the top bar -there is a toggle button for properties in the tools section on the right hand side. Or better yet, press F4. This is based on Access 2019 but should work for most versions.