Consulting

Thread: Excel UserForm Data to Word Bookmark - Not working on network

VBAX Regular
    Question Excel UserForm Data to Word Bookmark - Not working on network

Good Afternoon Folks,

Apologies if I miss a convention rule, this is my first post here... (much information from the collective from searching here however... thnak you.)

So, to the problem in hand.

I am writing a new Laboratory request system in excel to raise and track work through my department (not an IT professional) which will remove duplicity and unrequired data capture. So far this works exactly how I want with the data flow being as follows:

User selects the Work Type Required.
    USER FORM pops up specific to this type for them to complete.
    User clicks submit at which point the routine takes over and validates the data filled in for type&content, if correct it continues, if not it kicks it back to the user to try again. (with stern message).
    Continues the routine transfers the USER FORM data into a new line on the LOG sheet within excel.
    Then it opens a specific WORD template (defined by the Work Type selected in step 1) and populates the bookmarks contained within from the USER FORM data.
    This word document is then saved in a specific place but left open for additional editing.

Now as mentioned, when running I was constructing this I had everything locally in My Docs (C, and everything worked as planned.

I have tried now to move this to a network location where it needs to be so that all members in the company can access it (an open network drive location), and the routine just bypasses the opening of the word document.

I have tried the Local Drive name (which is common through out the organisation) and the UNC path, neither work and I am completely stuck, I have traipsed through the forums for advice and come up blank.... anyone got any ideas?

Below is the code extract relevant: (Note: S_PATH is the variable for hte address, I have the two names here and turn comments on/off to flick between, I have removed the UNC address here for simplification).

'Defining WORD application
    Global WORD_Doc, WORD_App As Object

'Word Document Path [Master/ReportDate]
    Public TEMPLATE, T_PATH, S_PATH As String

Public TEST_CHOICE, E_REQ, E_DESC As String

Sub NewReport()

On Error Resume Next

Call Populate_Excel.UF2EXL  'Transfer data from User Form to Excel Log

'Exit Sub     ' <<<<<<<<< Temporary Exit during testing

'##########################
    'Word Document Path
    '##########################

'Reports Path
    S_PATH = "C:\Users\15515\Documents\LIMS\"
    'S_PATH = "O:\COMPANY\LABSYS\PENDING\LIMS\"

'Templates Location
    T_PATH = S_PATH & "_Templates\"
    TEMPLATE = TEST_CHOICE & ".dotx"

MsgBox (T_PATH & TEMPLATE) ' Temporary Notification to check which path is being used

' Now you start opening the Word application and the document
    Set WORD_App = GetObject(T_PATH & TEMPLATE, "word.application")

If WORD_App Is Nothing Then
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0 With WORD_App Set WORD_Doc = Documents.Add(T_PATH & TEMPLATE) 'Transfer the Userform data to the Word Template Bookmarks
    Call Report_Data.KONSTANT_FIELDS
    WORD_Doc.Application.Visible = True
    'Save the template with data in by RQ number and description in the Reports Path
    WORD_Doc.SaveAs (S_PATH & E_REQ & " - " & E_DESC)
    End With 'Reset word References Set wdapp = Nothing Set wddoc = Nothing End 'Clears All VARS Exit Sub End Sub

Thank you for taking time to read this, hopefully one of you wonderful people might have an idea on a solution...

Regards
    Martin.

Hi MBACON and welcome to this forum. Your code to create the Word application and open the template seems off. Here's some code that might help. Dave
    'open Word application
    On Error Resume Next
    Set WORD_App = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    On Error GoTo 0
    Set WORD_App = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    End If
    'open doc
    WORD_App.Documents.Open Filename:=T_PATH & TEMPLATE
    'or....
    Set WORD_Doc = WORD_App.Documents.Add(T_PATH & TEMPLATE)

VBAX Regular

I tried the alterations, however if I use your suggested code then it stops working locally.
    Testing through it, if I change this:
    then nothing happens.(ie.. word does not open)
    Thanks for your suggestion anyway> M

Your code does not set the value of the variable TEST_CHOICE so the variable TEMPLATE is invalid and thus the document cannot be created.
    Similarly you have not set the values for E_REQ & E_DESC

You referenced two variables that don't exist
    Set wdApp = Nothing
    Set wdDoc = Nothing
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

VBAX Regular

The code has those TEST_CHOICE set elsewhere (and E_REQ & E_DESC), I have had a watch during execution on those VARs and they do set to what they are supposed to.
    As I mentioned, the core programming works, but only when the template is held on my local drive, as soon as I try to use a network path it doesn't.

VBAX Sage
    Do you get an error message if you just try to manually create a DOCX from the network DOTX?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Regular

Thank you Paul, surprise surprise its something so simple that I overlooked.

Whilst I can create the DOCX from the DOTX (on network) without error messages.

HOWEVER, what it does do (guessing I'm going to have to have a different discussion with our IT team now..... Unless anyone knows away around this within the routine?).
    is open the document in 'Protected View' as, for some reason, our network files think they are an internet location. As soon as I turned this off in Protected View settings it all worked.

I'll hang fire marking this solved for a bit in-case anyone knows if it's possible to bypass the PV setting?

Regards
    Martin.