Consulting

Thread: Resizing a table to size 1 row

VBAX Newbie
    Resizing a table to size 1 row

Hello,

I am using a table to display data. So basically, I have a "Fill" VBA button that fills the table with data, the table size adapts to the size of the data, I already got that working. I also want to make a "reset" button, where it deletes everything in the table and resizes it back to row-size 1.
    Currently I am using this function:

Sub reset()
        Worksheets("Sheet").ListObjects("table").DataBodyRange.ClearContents
        Worksheets("Sheet").ListObjects("table").Resize Range("table[#All]").Resize(2, 10)    '2 because 1 header row and 1 data row
    End Sub
    This works… almost. It resizes the table down to row-size 1, as I want, however, after using this function I cannot select the DataBodyRange attribute of my table anymore. When I try to run the code above twice, the second time fails with the error
    object variable with block variable not set regarding the
    Worksheets("Sheet").ListObjects("table").DataBodyRange
    line. How can this be? Why can I no longer access the DataBodyRange of the table after resizing to 1?

Funnily enough, this functions, which is the same as above, with the only difference being it resizes to 2 rows instead of 1, works fine:

Sub reset()
        Worksheets("Sheet").ListObjects("table").DataBodyRange.ClearContents
        Worksheets("Sheet").ListObjects("table").Resize Range("table[#All]").Resize(3, 10)    
    End Sub

I can call this how often I want and get no problems.

Can anyone explain to me whats going on here?

If a table has no data, DataBodyRange is "Nothing". So you should first test for the number of rows in the table:
    Sub ClearTable()
        If Worksheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("table").ListRows.Count > 0 Then
            Worksheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("table").DataBodyRange.Delete
        End If
    End Sub
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Karel Pieterse View Post
    If a table has no data, DataBodyRange is "Nothing". So you should first test for the number of rows in the table:
    Sub ClearTable()
        If Worksheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("table").ListRows.Count > 0 Then
            Worksheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("table").DataBodyRange.Delete
        End If
    End Sub
    Hi,
    Thanks for the answer, you are correct, I get the error because my reset function apperantly deletes the DataBodyRange of the table, instead of just resizing it to 1.
    Also your code works, I can call my Reset function twice now, however, it does not solve the underlying problem.

As mentioned in the question, I also have a "Fill Function", that just fills the table with data. I want to be able to call that function after I call the reset function. At the moment, this is of course not possible because my Reset function deletes the DataBodyRange for whatever reason, so my Fill function has nothing to write to. So is there a way to resize my table to 1 row WITHOUT deleting the DataBodyRange or is there maybe a way of creating a new DataBodyRange that the fill function can write to / that the reset function can delete?

What does your fill function look like?
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Newbie
    What does your fill function look like?
    Sub Fill()  
        Set t = Worksheets("sheet").ListObjects("table").DataBodyRange
        data = transposeArray(cn.Execute("select * from some_table").GetRows)
        t.Resize(UBound(data, 1) - LBound(data, 1) + 1, UBound(data, 2) - LBound(data, 2) + 1) = data

End Sub
    Where "transposeArray" is a custom transpose function because the standard VBA transpose has problems with null values. Cn is a ADODB.Connection that I declare somewhere else in my program, basically just a Database Connection

I want to add that this function does what I want it to, it resizes the table and fills it with data. Its just that after calling the Reset function this no longer works because of the above mentioned deleted DataBodyRange.
    Last edited by krise; 02-19-2020 at 07:41 AM.

Use:
    Sub Fill()
        Set t = Worksheets("sheet").ListObjects("table").Cells(2, 1)
        Data = transposeArray(cn.Execute("select * from some_table").GetRows)
        t.Resize(UBound(Data, 1) - LBound(Data, 1) + 1, UBound(Data, 2) - LBound(Data, 2) + 1) = Data

End Sub
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Newbie
    Use:
    Sub Fill()
        Set t = Worksheets("sheet").ListObjects("table").Cells(2, 1)
        t.Resize(UBound(Data, 1) - LBound(Data, 1) + 1, UBound(Data, 2) - LBound(Data, 2) + 1) = Data

End Sub
    Almost!

.Cells(2,1) does not work on tables, however, you had the right idea and I figured out that .Range(2,1) does the trick.

So this is the now working code:

Sub Fill()

Set t = Worksheets("sheet").ListObjects("table").Range(2,1)
    End Sub

Thanks a lot for your help!

Very strange, I tested it and it worked on my machine.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com