Consulting

Thread: Redact Dollar Values in Tables

VBAX Regular
    Redact Dollar Values in Tables

Once again, I need of help from the experts.

I have a document containing numerous tables. Many of thetables have dollar amounts that need to be redacted, meaning replace thenumbers following the dollar sign with X’s.

For example, $369,003 would be $XXX,XXX. The dollar amounts rangefrom the ones to the millions. Unfortunately, the values appear in differentcolumns depending on the table, so it is not possible to narrow the search to aspecific column, such as the last column.

I have code that will search for text in tables only, but Ido not know how to modify it to search for the “$” and replace each numberfollowing the $ with an X.

Is it possible to do what I have described above? I would begrateful for your help. Thank you in advance for considering my request.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Are there other numbers in the tables? Do they need redaction - or does it matter if they are? In any event, be aware that an X character quite possibly has a different width than any of the numerals.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Regular

Thank you for getting back with me. You bring up a good point about the column width. I had not thought of that. I appreciate your attention to detail. The financial tables are pretty tight, so with could be a factor. As such, instead of replacing each number following the dollar sign, I think it would be best to replace everything after the dollar sign with three X's; therefore, using my previous example, $369,003 would become $XXX.

The tables will contain columns/cells with other alphanumeric data, so I wouldn't be able to simply replace every number with an X. That would be too easy.

Again, thank you for the quick response. I hope I have provided the information you need.

T.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    A fairly safe replacement, width-wise, would be to use asterisks. For example:
    Sub Demo()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim i As Long, StrTxt As String
    With ActiveDocument.Range
      With .Find
        .ClearFormatting
        .Replacement.ClearFormatting
        .Text = "$[0-9.,]{1,}"
        .Replacement.Text = ""
        .Forward = True
        .Wrap = wdFindStop
        .Format = False
        .MatchWildcards = True
        .Execute
      End With
      Do While .Find.Found
        If .Information(wdWithInTable) = True Then
          StrTxt = .Text
          For i = 0 To 9
            StrTxt = Replace(StrTxt, i, "*")
          Next
          .Text = StrTxt
        End If
        .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
        .Find.Execute
      Loop
    End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub
    With this approach, the reader can at least appreciate the order of magnitude of the numbers concerned. If you don't want that, use something like:
        If .Information(wdWithInTable) = True Then
          .Text = "$XXX"
        End If
    Last edited by macropod; 02-25-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Regular

Thank you!!

The code for replacing numerals following a dollar sign with XXX is a success. It is fantastic! It will save countless hours of work. I cannot thank you enough. I'll go back a try code using asterisks as the replacement text now.
    Last edited by T-Belle; 02-25-2020 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Clarification

VBAX Regular
    It worked like a charm, Paul! This is fantastic. Thank you.