Consulting

Thread: More efficient way to use WorksheetFunction in loop?

More efficient way to use WorksheetFunction in loop?

Greetings,

I read johnske's article on how to improve the efficiency of VBA code, but am struggling with how to make this quicker.

For Each cell In dataRange
            If cell.Value Like "*#*" Then
                Cells(iRow, iColCount).Value = WorksheetFunction.PercentRank(dataRange, cell.Value) * 100
                Else: Cells(iRow, iColCount).Value = ""
            End If
            iRow = iRow + 1
        Next cell
    I discovered that there is a variable of type "worksheetfunction" and tried using that, but it requires the variables to have data when setting it; in this case, i dont know what cell.value is until it is encountered in the loop. There may not be a way to improve the efficiency, but it was worth asking! I noticed that if the datarange contains more than a couple thousand rows, this takes a VERY LONG TIME to complete, and excel appears frozen.

I use similar looping procedures in other places, and the code works relatively quickly - the only thing making this procedure different is the use of the worksheetfunction inside of it.

any thoughts are appreciated!

Administrator
    Chat VP
    Firstly, this line will slow everything right down to a crawl
    Cells(iRow, iColCount).Value = ""
    change it to
    Cells(iRow, iColCount).ClearContents
    Secondly, your If test has to check every cell regardless of whether the cell contains any data or not, if there are many empty cells in the range, check to see if the cell contains anything first by putting your If statement inside another that checks for this e.g.
    If Cell <> Empty then
    'your If statement
    End If
    i.e. test for the simplest condition first before going on to the more complex 'Like' condition.

Third, like VBA functions, some worksheet functions are inherently slow and some are fast.

EDIT: The Find function is also MUCH faster than using a 'Like' condition in a loop, so consider using Find instead...

HTH,
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Thank you for the tips! I will work on implementing them...with the testing i have been doing, i have not had any blanks, so I think that a big part of it is just that the percentrank function is just plain slow. However, you have provided me with other ways to improve my code, so THANK YOU! tim

Administrator

Regards,
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.