Consulting

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help copying cells from one sheet to another..

VBAX Regular
    Unhappy Need help copying cells from one sheet to another..

I am struggling so hard! Please help me! [
    Version of the program

Microsoft Excel for Office 365 ProPlus – Excel version: 1908

What I need it to do:I need a VBA macro that will create a new sheet with all Page names, Page Numbers, and Page URLs from another sheet.
    In theory it would work something like this: the vba code will find the first cell with text that contains “Site Page” select that cell and the cell next to it that starts with “Page Name”; AND find the next cell under the Site Page that contains “Page URL” select that cell and the cell next to it on the right with the actual URL. Copy the selection range and paste into a new sheet titled “FINAL URL LIST” in the next empty row.
    Few key things it needs to do.

When first running the code, it needs to check if the sheet “Final URL List” exists, if it does, then clear it all and add Date and time stamp into A1. If does NOT exist, then create the tab, and add Date and time stamp into A1
    Metadata tab layout changes from user to user based on there preference, so the VBA code cannot rely on find first instance, and offset copy. It needs to dynamically search for Site Page # to select and then the Page URL to select then copy and paste
    The sheet named “Final URL List” will exist in all variations of the workbook.
    The document is setup for SEO to create search engine listing text per webpage, and Social Media to set the OG sharing tags. We only want to grab the Site Page line that is correlated to the SEO metadata and not Open Graph stuff. So the vba will need to skip every other found row with text that contains “Site Page:”

Sample data (before and after sample worksheets, added as attachments)

Below is the workbook i have been trying to get to work – I have gotten the code close to working a few times, but then the loop will run away, or It will copy but not paste. Weird stuff keeps happening and I am begging for help!

Here is the workbook -> MetaCheck+3.0+-+Auto+Generate-SummaryTab-of-Page-name,-url,-and-number.xlsm

Here is the VBA i have so far for searching the sheet for cells that contain "site page", selecting that cell and the 1 to the right, copying and pasting to new sheet.

Sub LoopThroughUntilBlanks2()'this one is getting really close, just not pasting right
    'UpdatebyExtendoffice20161222
          ' Select cell A2, *first line of data*.
          Dim xrg As Range
          Dim textToSearchFor As String
          On Error Resume Next

Set xrg = Range("a2")
    Worksheets("HD metadata").Activate
          xrg.Cells(2, 0).Select ' Set Do loop to stop when 3 consecutive empty cells are reached.
    '      Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Do Until IsEmpty(ActiveCell) And IsEmpty(ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0))
             ' Insert your code here.

textToSearchFor = "site page:"

Cells.Find(What:=textToSearchFor, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt _
            :=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= _
            False, SearchFormat:=False).Select

'Select and copy addtinoal cells to the found cell
        Range(ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0), ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1)).Copy
        'Selection.Copy

'copy the selection to last empty row of another worksheet

Worksheets("sheet2").Activate
                'find the last row of data in the worksheet, and paste below
        Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).PasteSpecial (xlPasteAll)
        Worksheets("HD metadata").Activate
             ' Step down 2 rows from present location.
             ActiveCell.Offset(2, 2).Select
          Loop
          MsgBox ("empty")
          'Application.ScreenUpdating = False

End Sub
    Here is an example of the basic output I need -> https://i.imgur.com/Kf2E7xf.jpg
    To make it absolutely perfect -> Here is an example of how the data could be processed to really help users read through by putting the data into a table -- screenshot
    Example-Output-from-vba.jpgIdeal-output-from-vba.jpg

Here is the VBA i have for chgecking if a specific worksheet exist, and if not, creates one, if it does exist, it clears and sets datea and time in A1 - this is fully working, but im not sure how to combine the VBA.
    Function CreateSheetIf(strSheetName As String) As BooleanDim wsTest As Worksheet
    CreateSheetIf = False
    Set wsTest = Nothing
    On Error Resume Next
    Set wsTest = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(strSheetName)
    On Error GoTo 0

If wsTest Is Nothing Then
     CreateSheetIf = True
     Worksheets.Add.Name = strSheetName
    End If
    End Function
    Sub Test()
    'Create worksheet "Bob" if it doesn't exist. Display Message box if
    'sheet is created.
    If CreateSheetIf("FINAL URL LIST") Then
     MsgBox ("Welcome to the workbook Bob!")
    End If

End Sub
    Politeness and gratitude

This is my first time posting, even though I have relied on these forms to help me forever I hope someone can actually help with this specific need. I will be in forever debt to you as you will save my sanity and I will be obligated to begin contributing if someone can pretty please help me! I would appreciate any help at all!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, can help, or see errors. Thank you so much for anyone who helps!

You could start by being polite and get rid of all the shouting (Bold, larger font etc)
    Change the wording of "Desperate - Need help copying cells from one sheet to another... PLEASE HELP!!"

also
    It is a safe bet that pretty close to 100 percent of people here come here to get help. Would you go into Google for help and type: "Desperate, need help".
    The middle part is sufficient.

Obviously, I can't test this, because you have no data to test with, but it does compile.
    I suggest that you place this code in a Module named "URLTable", along with any other code specific to the FINAL URL LIST sheet.
    Option Explicit

Public Const URLtableSht As String = "FINAL URL LIST"

Sub Make_URLtablesht()

Dim SiteNameCell As Range
    Dim FinalURLtable
    Dim i As Long

UseSpeedyCode True
        ClearMakeSheet URLtableSht

ReDim FinalURLtable(0 To SitePagesCount, 1 To 3)

FinalURLtable(0, 1) = "Page #"
        FinalURLtable(0, 2) = "Page Name"
        FinalURLtable(0, 3) = "URL"

Set SiteNameCell = Sheets("Metadata").Range("A7")
        FinalURLtable(0, 1) = Split(SiteNameCell, ":")(1)
        FinalURLtable(0, 2) = Split(SiteNameCell.Offset(, 1), ":")(1)
        FinalURLtable(0, 3) = Split(SiteNameCell.Offset(1, 1), ":")(1)

For i = 2 To UBound(FinalURLtable, 1)
            Set SiteNameCell = NextSiteNameCell(SiteNameCell)
            FinalURLtable(0, 1) = Split(SiteNameCell, ":")(1)
            FinalURLtable(0, 2) = Split(SiteNameCell.Offset(, 1), ":")(1)
            FinalURLtable(0, 3) = Split(SiteNameCell.Offset(1, 1), ":")(1)
        Next

Sheets(URLtableSht).Cells(1).Resize(UBound(FinalURLtable, 1), UBound(FinalURLtable, 2)) = FinalURLtable

UseSpeedyCode False
    End Sub

Private Function NextSiteNameCell(StartCel As Range) As Excel.Range
        With Sheets("Metadata")
            Set NextSiteNameCell = .Range("A:A").Find(What:="Site Page", After:=StartCel, LookAt:=xlPart)
        End With
    End Function

Private Function SitePagesCount() As Long
        With Sheets("Metadata")
            SitePagesCount = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(.Range("A:A"), "Site Page:*")
        End With
    End Function
    Sub TestSitePagesCount()
    Dim X
    X = SitePagesCount
    End Sub
    Then paste this code into a module named "Globals"
    Option Explicit

Public Sub ClearMakeSheet(shtname As String)
        If ShtExists(shtname) Then
            ThisWorkbook.Sheets(shtname).Cells.ClearContents
        Else
            ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Add.Name = shtname
        End If
    End Sub

Public Function ShtExists(shtname As String) As Boolean
        On Error Resume Next
        ShtExists = (LCase(ThisWorkbook.Sheets(shtname).Name) = LCase(shtname))
        On Error GoTo 0
    End Function

Public Function UseSpeedyCode(GoFast As Boolean)
    Dim Calc As Long
       With Application
          .ScreenUpdating = Not GoFast
          .EnableEvents = Not GoFast
          If GoFast Then
             Calc = .Calculation
             .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
          Else
             .Calculation = Calc
          End If
       End With
    End Function

Public Sub ShowAllSheets()
    Dim sh
        For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
            sh.Visible = xlSheetVisible
        Next
    End Sub
    Last edited by SamT; 04-19-2020 at 07:03 AM.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Regular
    HEy Jolivanes, i apologize if i came across rude or no polite in anyway. That was not my intentions here at all. I was simplying trying to break apart my message with key headings and attention getting title. I will edit post to fix this and appreciate you letting me know

VBAX Regular
    SamT Thank you so much for your help, but im having issues...!

Hey SamT! Thank you so so so much for reaching out with a solution here. I am very sorry for not providing any example data.
    Here is a workbook full of example data -> It is 5.0mb due to pictures for the metadata so here is a link to the file in my AWS S3 cloud -> https://cloud.jettlifetech.com/excel...+workbook.xlsm
    Here is a highly compressed one with all other functions removed and stripped bare to send through this forums attachment manager. --> metacheck-vbapowered-compressed.xlsm

I tried setting up the code you provided, but I keep getting an error on "FinalURLtable(0, 1) = Split(SiteNameCell, ":")(1)" and your code is very clean but complex for me to understand or debug. Hopefully you can help explain? Again, i really appreciate the help here!

Set SiteNameCell = Sheets("Metadata").Range("A7")
            FinalURLtable(1, 1) = Split(SiteNameCell, ":")(1)
            FinalURLtable(1, 2) = Split(SiteNameCell.Offset(, 1), ":")(1)
            FinalURLtable(1, 3) = Split(SiteNameCell.Offset(1, 1), ":")(1)

For i = 2 To UBound(FinalURLtable, 1)
                Set SiteNameCell = NextSiteNameCell(SiteNameCell)
        FinalURLtable(i, 1) = Split(SiteNameCell, ":")(1)
                FinalURLtable(i, 2) = Split(SiteNameCell.Offset(, 1), ":")(1)
                FinalURLtable(i, 3) = Split(SiteNameCell.Offset(1, 1), ":")(1)
        Next
    Forgot to edit after CopyPasta.

FinalURLtable is Redimmed to a 2D Array, with 1 more "Row" than the number of Sites. (the array's "Rows" count starts at zero. It has 3 "Columns", numbered from 1 to 3.

Accessing data "slots" in an array is just like accessing Cells in Excel: ie (row Number, column Number). I used "Row" zero for the headers and "Row" 1 for the first Sites data.

The Find Method in NextSiteNameCell starts at the previous Site's cell, which is why I couldn't use the Function on the first site.

Edit To add. OH NO!!!!
    The real Workbook is very different in structure from what you attached in your first post. You can live with the results provided or You can divide the Site count by two and add a Find next to the Function NextSiteNameCell
    Last edited by SamT; 04-20-2020 at 12:50 PM.

VBAX Regular
    Lightbulb I figured it out, but its very slow and cumbersome, any one be able to help optimize?

Hey SamT - i appreciate your help on this, however i was unable to get what you sent over to work. I eventually got it though - with this vba code below, however i was wondering if someone could help me clean it up? Make it run faster?

What the VBA needs to do?
    Search worksheet for cells that contain specific text, in this case "Site Page" and selects that cell, and offset selects the cell to the right. Then copies into a new tab that is generated if it does not exist, it does exist, it will clear, then page the copied text. After looping all rows and copying all over to new tab. then it de-dups that list because every other row it found i did not need copied due to it being exact same. Then it repeats the process looking for "Page URL" this time and pastes that into the new sheet. So the output is a table of Site Page #, PAge Names, and Page URLs You can view an example of the output in the attached workbook below on worksheet "URL LIST 1".

For some reason i cant attach a workbook - so here is a link to a workbook with real life data in it and my URL Wizard working -> https://cloud.jettlifetech.com/excel...URLWizard.xlsm

Sub GetURLs002()
    '******************************************************************************************************************************
    '/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '++++++++++++++++++>  MACRO BLOCK START  <++++++++++++++++++
    '
    '>> Short Summary: this VBA will get all URLs, page names, and numbers from a worksheet the user defines from a prompt.
    '
    '
    '   >>>>>>>>>>  How does it work?  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    '
    '-> Step 1: prompts for user input to enter what the metadata sheet is called and stores as variable on "URL Wizard" sheet
    '-> Step 2: checks if the worksheet "URL List 1" exist, if not it will create it, if so - it will clear used space
    '-> Step 3: then searches for cells with text that contain "site page:" copy/paste into URL List 1 worksheet
    '-> Step 4: then it de-dupes that list
    '-> Step 5: then it searches for cells with text that contain "page url" copy/paste into URL List 1 worksheet
    '-> Step 6: formats URL List 1 output as table with date and time stamp of when it was created
    '-> Step 7: adds color to the tab
    '
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    ''******************************************************************************************************************************
    '
    ' START ------------------>
    '
    '******************************************************************************************************************************
    '
    'Speed up code processing time
            Application.ScreenUpdating = False
            'Application.DisplayStatusBar = False
            Application.EnableEvents = False
            'ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = False
            Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

'Excel objects.
        Dim m_wbBook, myworkBK As Workbook
        Dim metadataWB, FinalURL, URLhelper As Worksheet
        Dim m_rnCheck As Range
        Dim m_rnFind As Range
        Dim m_stAddress As String
        Dim textToSearchFor, textToSearchFor2 As String
        Dim mymetadataInputValue, UserDefinedMetadataTabName As String
        Dim LResult As String
        Dim UserInput03 As Object
        Dim VBAhelperSheet, VBAurlHelper2 As String
    Dim mySheetName As String
    mySheetName = "URL List 1"
    VBAurlHelper2 = "URL Wizard"

Dim LatestURLChanges As String, mySheetNameTest As String
    LatestURLChanges = "URL List 1"

'Set Variables
        Set m_wbBook = ThisWorkbook
        Set myworkBK = ThisWorkbook
        Set URLhelper = myworkBK.Worksheets(VBAurlHelper2)

myworkBK.Worksheets(VBAurlHelper2).Activate

'<*******************************************  START  ************************************************************************************************************************
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '               GET USER INPUT FOR METADATA TAB NAME                                                            'What the function does
    Dim n As Integer
     n = Worksheets(VBAurlHelper2).Range("A6").Characters.Count
     UserDefinedMetadataTabName = Worksheets(VBAurlHelper2).Range("A6").Value

If n <= 2 Then
            mymetadataInputValue = Application.InputBox("Please Enter the tab name for your Metadata")              'Ask user to input metadata sheet name

URLhelper.Range("A6").Value = mymetadataInputValue                                                      'print input value to a cell on a specific worksheet

Set metadataWB = myworkBK.Worksheets(mymetadataInputValue)                                              'Set metadata tab name as variable

Else

'URLhelper.Range("A6").Value = mymetadataInputValue                                                      'print input value to a cell on a specific worksheet
            Set metadataWB = myworkBK.Worksheets(UserDefinedMetadataTabName)                                              'Set metadata tab name as variable

MsgBox ("Metadata Worksheet Already Defined, Continue to use the worksheet named --> " & UserDefinedMetadataTabName & " <-- ?")
        End If

'------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '<****************************************  END  *****************************************************************************************************************************

'

'
    '

'``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    '----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION 01 of XX --------------------------------------->

Application.StatusBar = "01/06 - Setting Variables - Why does Waldo wear stripes?"
        Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("00:00:1"))

'----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION END ------------------------------------------->
    '``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

On Error Resume Next
        mySheetNameTest = Worksheets(mySheetName).Name
        If Err.Number = 0 Then
            MsgBox "The sheet named ''" & mySheetName & "'' DOES exist in this workbook and will be cleared"

ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(LatestURLChanges).Activate                                                              'Selects worksheet
               ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Delete                                                                                 'deletes the used range of cells to clear the sheet
                Range("a1").Select

Else
            Err.Clear
            Worksheets.Add.Name = mySheetName                                                                               'Creates a new tab named by the variable mySheetName (LatestURLChanges)
            MsgBox "The sheet named ''" & mySheetName & "'' did not exist in this workbook but it has been created now."
    'move more critical processes to setup like ADDING A BUTTON here as well.

End If

Set FinalURL = m_wbBook.Worksheets(mySheetName)
    'Adding color to the final tab
     Sheets(LatestURLChanges).Select
        With ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(mySheetName).Tab
            .Color = 5287936
            .TintAndShade = 0
        End With
    '
    '----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION 02 of XX --------------------------------------->

Application.StatusBar = "02/06 - Checking For Required Sheets  ----- ANSWER ------> Because he doesn’t want to be spotted."

'----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION END -------------------------------------------->

TotalRange = metadataWB.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

'Search the array set below - A1:C-last used cell
        Set m_rnCheck = metadataWB.Range("A1:C" & TotalRange)

'---------------------------------------------------------------------
    '<-----------------------  START BLOCK #01  ------------------------->
    '   copy and paste all page numbers and names over to FINAL URL LIST worksheet, and format table

metadataWB.Activate

textToSearchFor = "site page:"                                                                              'set value to look for as varaible

metadataWB.Activate
            Range("C2").Select                                                                                          'Selects top of the worksheet

With m_rnCheck                                                                                                  'sets range to DO/LOOP procedure on
            Set m_rnFind = .Find(What:=textToSearchFor, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart)
            If Not m_rnFind Is Nothing Then
                m_stAddress = m_rnFind.Address
                Do
                 Cells.Find(What:=textToSearchFor, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt _
                         Range(ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0), ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1)).Copy                                      'Select the found cell and offset select the adjacent page title

FinalURL.Select                                                                                         'switch worksheets to final url list

Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues                                   'find the last row of data in the worksheet, and paste values below

metadataWB.Activate                                                                                 'Switch worksheets to metadata

ActiveCell.Offset(2, 0).Select                                                                          'Step down 2 rows from present location.
                    Set m_rnFind = .FindNext(m_rnFind)
                Loop While Not m_rnFind Is Nothing And m_rnFind.Address <> m_stAddress
            End If
        End With

'----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION 03 of XX --------------------------------------->

Application.StatusBar = "03/06 - Finished Gathering All Page #'s and Name(s)  ----- Question ------> What’s green and has wheels?"

'----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION END -------------------------------------------->

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '<-------------------------------------------------------------  START BLOCK #0  ---------------------------------------------------------------
    '
    '                                                                  DE-DUPE
    '
    'DESCRIPTION: De-dupe Page Name and Page Numbers
    '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '
    '
        FinalURL.Activate
        TotalRange = FinalURL.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
            Set TotalRange1 = FinalURL.Range("A1:B" & TotalRange)
                 'ISSUE #01 solution
                        'trim cells prior to dedupe
                                Dim Rng2 As Range
                                Set Rng2 = TotalRange1
                                For Each cell In Rng2
                                cell.Value = Trim(cell)
                                Next cell
                        'END of trim cycle

TotalRange = FinalURL.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
        Set TotalRange1 = FinalURL.Range("A1:B" & TotalRange)

ActiveSheet.Range("A1:B" & TotalRange).RemoveDuplicates Columns:=Array(1, 2), Header:=xlYes 'Remove duplicates, with page header
        Range("a1").Select          'Clear selection

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    '                                                                       End
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '<-------------------------------------------------------------  START BLOCK #0  ---------------------------------------------------------------
    '
    '                                                                  GET ALL URLS
    '
    'DESCRIPTION: Copy and paste all page URLs over to FINAL URL LIST worksheet, and format as a table
    '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '
    '

metadataWB.Activate
        Range("C1").Select

'   Set m_rnCheck = metadataWB.Range("A1:C" & TotalRange2) 'Set search array from A1 to C-end of used cells

'
    '<-----------------------  START BLOCK #02a  ------------------------->
    'copy and paste all page URLs over to FINAL URL LIST worksheet, and format as a table
    '
    '

'----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION 04 of XX --------------------------------------->

Application.StatusBar = "04/06 - Getting Page URLs -------- QUESTION ------ Why do scuba divers jump backwards out of the boat?"

'----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION END ------------------------------------------->

'set value to look for
        textToSearchFor2 = "Page URL"

'Retrieve all columns that contain an X. If there is at least one, begin the DO/WHILE loop.
        With m_rnCheck
            Set m_rnFind = .Find(What:=textToSearchFor2, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart)
            If Not m_rnFind Is Nothing Then
                m_stAddress = m_rnFind.Address

'Hide the column, and then find the next X.
                Do
                 Cells.Find(What:=textToSearchFor2, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt _
                 Range(ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0), ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1)).Copy

FinalURL.Activate 'switch worksheets to final url list
        Range("C1").Select
                'find the last row of data in the worksheet, and paste below
                Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).PasteSpecial (xlPasteValues)

metadataWB.Activate
             ' Step down 2 rows from present location.
             ActiveCell.Offset(2, 0).Select
                    Set m_rnFind = .FindNext(m_rnFind)
                Loop While Not m_rnFind Is Nothing And m_rnFind.Address <> m_stAddress
            End If
        End With

'
    '<-----------------------  START BLOCK #03   -------------------------->
    'insert column with date and time stamp, then add table headers, and remove column C
    '
    '

'----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION 05 of XX --------------------------------------->

Application.StatusBar = "05/06 - Formating Table -------- QUESTION ------ Because if they jumped forward, they’d still be in the boat."

'Select Final URL LSIT worksheet cell A1
        FinalURL.Activate
        Range("A1").Select

'Delete column "Page URL:"
        Columns("C:C").Select
        Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft

'add new column with date and time stamp, then add headers to the sheet
        Columns("A:A").Select
            Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
        Range("A1").Select
            With Selection
                .Value = Now
                .NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy h:mm:ss AM/PM"
            End With
        Range("B1").Select
            ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Page #"
        Range("C1").Select
            ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Page Name"
        Range("D1").Select
            ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Page URL"
        Range("E1").Select
            ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Notes"
        Columns("A:E").Select
            Selection.Columns.AutoFit

'----------------------------- TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION 06 of 06 --------------------------------------->

Application.StatusBar = "06/06 - !! DONE PROCESSING!!"

'Clear Status bar message
            Application.StatusBar = False

'Adding color to the final tab
     Sheets(LatestURLChanges).Select
        With ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(VBAurlHelper2).Tab
            .Color = RGB(0, 26, 87)
            .TintAndShade = 0
        End With
    '
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(LatestURLChanges).Activate                                                              'Selects worksheet
    '
    '       SPEEDY CODE END
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True                   'disables screen updating
    'Application.DisplayStatusBar = True                 're-enableds status bar messages
    Application.EnableEvents = True                     'disables trigger events
    'ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = True                '
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic    'disables auto calculations
    '
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(LatestURLChanges).Activate
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(LatestURLChanges).UsedRange.Select
    ActiveWindow.Zoom = True
    Range("A1").Select

MsgBox "Done!!", vbInformation, "URL Wizard - Getting URLs - Intouch SEO"
    '
    End Sub

A common mistake when declaring variables is assuming that variables before a comma will be declared the same as the one after it. Wrong! Example:

Dim m_wbBook, myworkBK As Workbook
    This declares m_wbBook as Variant and only myworkBK as Workbook. To be correct it needs to be

Dim m_wbBook As Workbook, myworkBK As Workbook
    You also set both of them to the same workbook without changing any of them in the rest of the code, you don't need both of them.

Although this won't impact on the speed, it could throw you off course in future.

You haven't declared TotalRange As Long, TotalRange1 As Range, Cell as Range - again no impact on speed but IMO if you are going to declare the variables then declare them all.

Application.Wait - I'm guessing you are using this so that the status bar updates with your text. Replacing these with DoEvents will save a whole 6 seconds!

Your code is slow because of the selecting, copying, activating, selecting and pasting.

'Slow
        Sheet1.Select
        Range("A1").Copy
        Sheet2.Select
        Range("A1").PasteSpecial

'Faster
        Sheet1.Range("A1").Copy Sheet2.Range("A1")

'Fastest
        Sheet2.Range("A1") = Sheet1.Range("A1")
    In your loops use variables to keep track of where you are rather than calculating the last row every time - just bad practice if you've only got a couple of lines but crippling if you've got thousands!

There are many sites out there which will show you faster ways of coding. A quick search came up with this one.
    Semper in excretia sumus; solum profundum variat.

VBAX Regular
    Thanks for the feedback paulked - I knew at one point i was using two variables assigned to the same value but no idea how many duplicates i had, and i see now that it totally confused me a few times while creating this. I will try some of things you suggested and what is on that link to see if i can figure it out. Thank you for some direction here!

What do your functions FindAltImageHELP and FindAltImage do?

As soon as you turn calculation back on in the code they buzz round like a nest of hornets. That is what's taking the time!

VBAX Regular
    LOL I have been thinking the same thing about it being so crazy - never thought of it like a nest of hornets, but it is so chaotic in when it jumps back and forth between modules.... but I dont know how to isolate the dam thing. I did not create that, it was from someone who worked at my job a while ago i guess, idk who it was. But it is so volatile its nuts. So what this workbooks purpose is - to feed into an internal process within my company to create metadata for pharma websites that must be reviewed and approved by a mess of people, so we export as PDF. Including all images ALT text.... this vba function i believe auto shows match or no match on the metadata tab, if you unhide all columns, you will see a match side of functions that we can paste a ScreamingFrog crawl of thee dev site, the staging site, then the production site into the tabs that have a title starting with "Screaming Frog..." and it will auto indicate which is correctly implemented by Development, and which we need fixed before moving to next stage.

You have any suggestions on how to make this thing maybe only trigger when selected? Can I measure how much time it does add to the VBA? I feel like what you mentioned prior is what I was looking for, just don't know how to do it per say yet - and have no incentive to make faster as no one cares, just super impressed it works in general. LOL, i knew there had to be a more efficient way of doing things. I tried looking into your suggestion of the "DoEvents" which led me down a rabbit hole of setting up a progress bar which i did not get to work successfully. Your assumption is correct in that the purpose is to show indication to end user that it is still working. I already know of a handful of peeps on my team that will be hesitant to change, let alone something that sits and freezes there excel.. Especially because most workbooks do have 2,000+ rows...

Thanks for your time looking at this at all, you gave me some really great things to look into, i am just so new to this VBA world it is still a big learning curve i am overcoming. Thanks though for all your help!!

I haven't done anything special here, just spent 10mins sifting through whilst having coffee (my dear wife has me on 'Jobs round the house' today!)

I've removed the module with the functions in, they didn't seem to make any difference, so I'm assuming they were used when the frog was introduced and, once used, have done their job!

Put a userform progress in, not as quick as status bar but quick enough for this application, it's more visible to the user!

Removed the sheet selections during copy/paste.

It now runs in 17 seconds rather than 86!

If I get a bit more time then I'll have another look.

I couldn't upload the file here for some reason, I tried making it smaller by deleting the hidden sheets but it still wouldn't have it. Link to file here

Had an extended lunch break and revised the code to do it all in under a second!

Sub GetURLs002()
        Dim ar As Variant, Meta As String, shMeta As Worksheet, shDest As Worksheet
        Dim i As Long, j As Long, ar1() As Variant, e As Long, lr As Long
        'Get source sheet name
        If Len(Range("A6")) < 2 Then
            Meta = InputBox("Please Enter the tab name for your Metadata")
            Range("A6") = Meta
        Else
            Meta = Range("A6")
        End If
        'Check sheet exists
        On Error Resume Next
        Set shMeta = Sheets(Meta)
        On Error GoTo 0
        If shMeta Is Nothing Then MsgBox "That sheet doesn't exist!": Exit Sub
        'Set sheet names
        Set shDest = Sheets("URL List 1")
        'Put source int array
        ar = shMeta.UsedRange
        'Loop through data and write to new array ignoring formula errors on data page!
        For i = LBound(ar, 1) To UBound(ar, 1)
            For j = LBound(ar, 2) To UBound(ar, 2)
                If LCase(Left(ar(i, j), 10)) = "site page:" Then
                    On Error GoTo Nxt
                    e = e + 1
                    ReDim Preserve ar1(4, e)
                    ar1(1, e) = ar(i, j)
                    ar1(2, e) = ar(i, j + 1)
                End If
                If LCase(Left(ar(i, j), 8)) = "page url" Then
                    On Error GoTo Nxt
                    ar1(3, e) = ar(i, j)
                    ar1(4, e) = ar(i, j + 1)
                End If
    Nxt:
            On Error GoTo -1
            Next
        Next
        On Error GoTo 0
        'Clear destination sheet and write new array
        With shDest
            .Cells.ClearContents
            .Range("A1:E" & UBound(ar1, 2) + 1) = WorksheetFunction.Transpose(ar1)
            'Delete unwanted column
            .Columns("D:D").EntireColumn.Delete
            'Add headers
            .Range("B1") = "Page #"
            .Range("C1") = "Page Name"
            .Range("D1") = "Page URL"
            .Range("E1") = "Notes"
            'Delete blank data rows
            lr = .Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(3).Row
            .Range("C1:C" & lr).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireRow.Delete
        End With
        'Add a new sheet and copy new data to it
        With Sheets.Add
            .Name = "URL List " & Format(Now, "DD-MMM HH.MM")
            .Tab.Color = vbRed
            shDest.Range("B1").CurrentRegion.Copy .Range("A1")
            .Columns("A:D").Columns.AutoFit
        End With
        Sheets("URL wizard").Activate
    End Sub

VBAX Regular
    paulked you are amazing - Thank you so much for your help with this, you are a true VBA genius - i knew there was a way to optimize code as it seemed very long and clumsy, but holy s*** i had no clue it could be this short and optimized to execute so freaking fast! I am blown away how freaking fast it is, still dynamic, and works exactly how i needed. I appreciate your efforts and time and sharing your skills to help this guy out!

The beauty of arrays, and it's all down to the clever people here at VBA Express who are teaching me

VBAX Regular
    Well you certainly are teaching me some awesome stuff here about VBA best practices and efficiencies as well, and i will be sure to put my time in contributing to other peeps questions if i can be of help.

Quick question - i just noticed that it doesn't add the date and time stamp in A1 and instead adds to sheet name. I am having trouble adding that value back into your code. The purposes of this is for the 2nd part of why i need the list of Page numbers, names, and URLs is to run the second VBA i created which compares the two lists and identifies what pages have been deleted or added between the two lists (I added it below for reference). The VBA i created to compare the list is dependant on the sheets that i am comparing having the URLs be in column D. While i know i could just edit my vba to compare a diff column, i also use that date and time stamp in the header of the worksheet "Latest URL Changes". So my question is, how do i add that date and time stamp back to A1 without messing up your amazing efficiencies?

Use case explanation: We have a website with existing metadata, client wants to add new webpages, or consolidate existing pages into 1 new webpage. We then need a list of these URL changes to pass to other teams, and it is critical to be sure they have the most "up-to-date" urls for PPC and Display ads. The URL Wizard tab - has button to trigger this process in the existing workbook. However -- here is an updated workbook with your latest VBA added for sample data. In the module named "URLWizardV02" has 3 VBA routines, 1) is the first time setup of URL Wizard sheet with two buttons and assigns them to a macro. 2) this is one of the button macros, and it is using your very fast, and efficient routine to find all page numbers, names, and urls. 3) this is the other button macro that compares two tabs that a user is prompted to enter what tabs they want to compare.

Sub GetTheLatestURLChanges003()
    ' MACRO BLOCK START  
    'Short Summary:
    'This macro will check the workbook for a worksheet titled "Latest URL Changes" and if it exist, it will clear the sheet
    'if the worksheet does not exist, it will then be created.
    'Purpose: To compare two list of content and identify exactly what is different between the two list (whats new, whats been deleted)
    'How does it work?
    'Step 1: Select button to trigger on URL Wizard worksheet
    'Step 2: The VBA will prompt you to enter the worksheet name of the old URL list
    'Step 3: The VBA will prompt you to enter the worksheet name of the NEW URL list
    'Step 4: Then it will check for a worksheet named "Latest URL Changes"
    'If the worksheet exist, it will clear it
    'If it does not exist - it will create it.
    'Step 5: Then it will copy both sheets into the worksheet called "Compared List"
    'Step 6: Compares both list and outputs what has been REMOVED in column K
    'Step 7: Compares both list and outputs what has been ADDED in column L
    'Step 8: Delete columns A-F 
    'Application.DisplayStatusBar = True
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    'Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    Dim newSheetName As String
    Dim VBAurlHelper1 As String
    Dim checkSheetName As String
    Dim sheet1, sheet2 As Worksheet
    Dim mymetadataInputValue, mymetadataInputValue2 As String
    Dim wrkShet1 As Worksheet
    'Setting variable values
    'VBAurlHelper1 = "URL Wizard"
     newSheetName = "Latest URL Changes"
    'TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION 01 of XX
    Application.StatusBar = "01/06 - Setting Variables"
    Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"))
    'TIME BREAK NOTIFICATION END
    On Error Resume Next
    checkSheetName = Worksheets(newSheetName).Name
    If checkSheetName = "" Then
    Worksheets.Add.Name = newSheetName
    MsgBox "The sheet named ''" & newSheetName & _
    "'' does not exist in this workbook but it has been created now.", _
    vbInformation, "Intouch SEO Automation for Excel"
    Else
    MsgBox "The sheet named ''" & newSheetName & _
    "''exist in this workbook.", vbInformation, "Intouch SEO Automation for Excel"
    Worksheets(newSheetName).Activate
    ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Delete   'deletes the used range of cells to clear the sheet
    Range("a1").Select
    End If
    Set wrkShet1 = ActiveSheet
    mymetadataInputValue = Application.InputBox("Please enter the tab name for the old list of URLs you want to compare to.", "Intouch SEO Automation for Excel")  'Ask user to input metadata sheet name
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(VBAurlHelper1).Range("A7").Value = mymetadataInputValue                    'print input value to a cell on a specific worksheet
    Set sheet1 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(mymetadataInputValue)        'Set metadata tab name as variable
    mymetadataInputValue2 = Application.InputBox("Please enter the tab name for the newest list of URLs you want to compare to.", "Intouch SEO Automation for Excel")   'Ask user to input metadata sheet name
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(VBAurlHelper1).Range("A8").Value = mymetadataInputValue2                    'print input value to a cell on a specific worksheet
    Set sheet2 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(mymetadataInputValue2)        'Set metadata tab name as variable
    sheet1.Activate
    sheet1.UsedRange.Select 'auto select all cells with data
    Selection.Copy
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(newSheetName).Activate
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    'START --> formatting the compared results output
    Rows("1:1").Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
    Range("F1:J1").Select
    With Selection.Interior
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    .Color = 5287936
    .TintAndShade = 0
    .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With
    Range("K1:L1").Select
    With Selection
    .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
    .VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
    .WrapText = False
    .Orientation = 0
    .AddIndent = False
    .IndentLevel = 0
    .ShrinkToFit = False
    .ReadingOrder = xlContext
    .MergeCells = True
    End With
    With Selection.Interior
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    .Color = RGB(0, 26, 87) '5287936
    .TintAndShade = 0
    .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With
    With Selection.Font
    .ThemeColor = xlThemeColorDark1
    .TintAndShade = 0
    .Bold = True
    .Size = 15
    End With
    Range("K2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Deleted URLs"
    Range("L2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "New URLs"
    Range("L1").Activate
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "URL List Comparison Results"
    'END --> formatting the compared results output
    Sheets(mymetadataInputValue2).Select
    sheet2.UsedRange.Select 'Dynamically selecting the used range
    Selection.Copy
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(newSheetName).Select
    Range("F2").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("F2").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("H1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    With Selection
    .HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft
    .WrapText = False
    .Orientation = 0
    .AddIndent = False
    .IndentLevel = 0
    .ShrinkToFit = False
    .MergeCells = False
    End With
    With Selection.Interior
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    .Color = 5287936
    .TintAndShade = 0
    .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With
    With Selection.Font
    .TintAndShade = 0
    End With
    'Add LAST UPDATED tag to row 1
    Range("G1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Last Updated:"
    Range("G1").Select
    With Selection
    .HorizontalAlignment = xlGeneral
    .WrapText = False
    .Orientation = 0
    .AddIndent = False
    .IndentLevel = 0
    .ShrinkToFit = False
    .MergeCells = False
    End With
    With Selection
    .HorizontalAlignment = xlRight
    .WrapText = False
    .Orientation = 0
    .AddIndent = False
    .IndentLevel = 0
    .ShrinkToFit = False
     .MergeCells = False
     End With
    With Selection.Font
    .TintAndShade = 0
    End With
    Selection.Font.Bold = True
    Application.StatusBar = "02/03 - Setting Formats"

'LIST COMPARE - START - Removed URLs
    Dim v1, v2, v3(), i As Long, j As Long
    v1 = Range("D3", Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
    v2 = Range("I3", Range("I" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
    ReDim v3(1 To UBound(v1, 1))
    For i = LBound(v1) To UBound(v1)
    If IsError(Application.Match(v1(i, 1), v2, 0)) Then
    j = j + 1
    v3(j) = v1(i, 1)
    End If
    Next i
    Range("K3").Resize(j) = Application.Transpose(v3) 'output the differences in this range
    'Check for New URLs and list them to the side
    Dim v1a, v2a, v3a(), i2 As Long, j2 As Long
    v1a = Range("I3", Range("I" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
    v2a = Range("D3", Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
    ReDim v3a(1 To UBound(v1a, 1))
    For i2 = LBound(v1a) To UBound(v1a)
    If IsError(Application.Match(v1a(i2, 1), v2a, 0)) Then
    j2 = j2 + 1
    v3a(j2) = v1a(i2, 1)
    End If
    Next i2
    Range("L3").Resize(j2) = Application.Transpose(v3a) 'output the differences in this range
    'LIST COMPARE - END - Removed URLs
    Range("K2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Deleted URLs"
    Range("L2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "New URLs"
    Range("K1").Activate
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "URL List Comparison Results"
    Columns("A:F").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Range("A2:F2").Select
    With Selection.Interior
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    .ThemeColor = xlThemeColorLight1
    .TintAndShade = 0
    .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With
    With Selection.Font
    .TintAndShade = 0
    End With
    Selection.Font.Size = 12
    Selection.Font.Size = 14
    Range("B1").Select
    Worksheets(newSheetName).Columns("A:F").AutoFit
    Application.StatusBar = "03/03 -- DONE"
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.StatusBar = False 'Clears status bar
    'Application.DisplayStatusBar = False
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(newSheetName).Activate
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(newSheetName).UsedRange.Select
    ActiveWindow.Zoom = True
    Range("A1").Select
    MsgBox "Done!!", vbInformation, "URL Wizard - List Compare - Intouch SEO"
    End Sub
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 05-20-2020 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary fluffing in post

Sorry, I put it to a new sheet thinking it was to be exported. This will put it in A1 (changes in red):

Sub GetURLs002()
        Dim ar As Variant, Meta As String, shMeta As Worksheet, shDest As Worksheet
        Dim i As Long, j As Long, ar1() As Variant, e As Long, lr As Long
        'Get source sheet name
        If Len(Range("A6")) < 2 Then
            Meta = InputBox("Please Enter the tab name for your Metadata")
            Range("A6") = Meta
        Else
            Meta = Range("A6")
        End If
        'Check sheet exists
        On Error Resume Next
        Set shMeta = Sheets(Meta)
        On Error GoTo 0
        If shMeta Is Nothing Then MsgBox "That sheet doesn't exist!": Exit Sub
        'Set sheet names
        Set shDest = Sheets("URL List 1")
        'Put source int array
        ar = shMeta.UsedRange
        'Loop through data and write to new array ignoring formula errors on data page!
        For i = 8 To UBound(ar, 1)
            For j = LBound(ar, 2) To UBound(ar, 2)
                If LCase(Left(ar(i, j), 10)) = "site page:" Then
                    On Error GoTo Nxt
                    e = e + 1
                    ReDim Preserve ar1(4, e)
                    ar1(1, e) = ar(i, j)
                    ar1(2, e) = ar(i, j + 1)
                End If
                If LCase(Left(ar(i, j), 8)) = "page url" Then
                    On Error GoTo Nxt
                    ar1(3, e) = ar(i, j)
                    ar1(4, e) = ar(i, j + 1)
                End If
    Nxt:
            On Error GoTo -1
            Next
        Next
        On Error GoTo 0
        'Clear destination sheet and write new array
        With shDest
            .Cells.ClearContents
            .Range("A1:E" & UBound(ar1, 2) + 1) = WorksheetFunction.Transpose(ar1)
            'Delete unwanted column
            .Columns("D:D").EntireColumn.Delete
            'Add headers
            .Range("A1") = Format(Now, "m/d/yyyy h:mm:ss AM/PM")
            .Range("B1") = "Page #"
            .Range("C1") = "Page Name"
            .Range("D1") = "Page URL"
            .Range("E1") = "Notes"
            'Delete blank data rows
            lr = .Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(3).Row
            .Range("C1:C" & lr).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireRow.Delete
        End With
        'Add a new sheet and copy new data to it
        With Sheets.Add
            .Name = "URL List " & Format(Now, "DD-MMM HH.MM")
            .Tab.Color = vbRed
            shDest.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Copy .Range("A1")
            .Columns("A:E").Columns.AutoFit
        End With
        Sheets("URL wizard").Activate 
    End Sub
    If you don't want the new sheet created, delete the code from 'Add a new sheet... to End Sub (URL wizard should still be the active sheet)

You can't have more than one copy of a routine with the same name in a project, even if they are in different modules.

Only Standard Modules can't use the same Names, because they are all compiled as a single "DLL." The purpose of Standard Modules is to make Programmers' jobs easier by providing a way to better organize their code.

Class Modules can use the same Procedure names, because Class Modules are only visible to external code as Instantiated Objects.

ThisWorkbook and Worksheet Code pages can also use the same Procedure names, because they are Instantiated Class Modules and their Code Pages are really addendums to their Class code. The ThisWorkbook Code Page is that particular Workbook's Class "Addendum."

UserForms are also Classes and multiple Forms can use the same names

You can see all of any Class Objects Properties, Methods, Events, and, Public Variables and Constants by pressing F2 while viewing that Code Page