Consulting

Thread: AUTO HIDE TABLES BASED ON CONTENT

VBAX Regular
    AUTO HIDE TABLES BASED ON CONTENT

Hello,

I have nearly finished an Excel tool for inserting new offers and configuring our product.
    The whole configuration is stored in a table on a worksheet in a single row. Each data has its own tag.
    In word I have a template with those same tags like <<data>>. When pressing a button in Excel the VBA script
    opens the chosen Word template and replaces all the tags with the actual data. This data is normaly in
    tables in the Word template.
    So far It works fine.

Becasue sometimes the offer includes several simmilar products I have made it possbile that in Excel for each offer 4 positions for 4 different products can be done.
    Of course it can be just 1 or 2 but 4 is max.
    So I made 4 configuration Tables in the Word template. The first table will have all the tags with ending on 1 the second table all the tags ending on 2 and so on.

If not all 4 tables are in use how to make the remaining tabels which were not filled with the actual data to HIDE?

The excel VBA script takes about 10-15 sec. to fill in all the data in the 4 tables in Word template. After that the tables which are remaining with just the tags should be hidden.

Any way to do this?

I have found out that you can hide tabel with Active X check boxes or input fields but this is not automatic and the check box remains visible.
    I don't want this. The proces should be automatical.

The Excel script actualy closes the Word document in the end and also makes a PDF our of it. OK we can make it not to close the document if needed i assume via the VBA in Excel.

I'm realy stuck with this final part.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Please find attached an example of the Word template.

BR
    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Regular

In Word there is no code so far.

The code in Excel that brings the data from the one table where it is collected to Word and into PDF is the following.
    It is put together from various sources so it is not perfect and also not finished yet. I have to configure the PDF part yet so the PDF is made on fly together with the word document.

Sub CreateWordDocuments()
    Dim CustRow, CustCol, LastRow, TemplRow, DaysSince, FrDays, ToDays As Long
    Dim DocLoc, TagName, TagValue, TemplName, FileName As String
    Dim CurDt, LastAppDt As Date
    Dim WordDoc, WordApp, OutApp, OutMail As Object
    Dim VarFormat As String
    Dim VarValue As String
    Dim WordContent As Word.Range
    Dim date_example As String
    date_example = Now()
    With Sheet1

If .Range("B3").Value = Empty Then
        MsgBox "Prosim izberi pravo podlogo iz seznama podlog"
        .Range("H3").Select
        Exit Sub
      End If
        TemplRow = .Range("B3").Value 'Set Template Row
        TemplName = .Range("H3").Value 'Set Template Name
        FrDays = .Range("M3").Value 'Set From Days
        ToDays = .Range("O3").Value 'Set To Days
        DocLoc = Sheet2.Range("F" & TemplRow).Value 'Word Document Filename

'Open Word Template
        On Error Resume Next 'If Word is already running
        Set WordApp = GetObject("Word.Application")
        If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        'Launch a new instance of Word
        Err.Clear
        'On Error GoTo Error_Handler
        Set WordApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
        WordApp.Visible = True 'Make the application visible to the user
        End If

LastRow = .Range("E9999").End(xlUp).Row  'Determine Last Row in Table
            For CustRow = 8 To LastRow
                    DaysSince = .Range("N" & CustRow).Value
                    If .Range("O" & CustRow).Value = "" And DaysSince >= FrDays And DaysSince <= ToDays Then
                                    Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Open(FileName:=DocLoc, ReadOnly:=False) 'Open Template
                                    For CustCol = 4 To 200 'Move Through Columns
                                    If .Cells(4, CustCol).Value = "Splosno"  Then VarFormat = "General" Else: VarFormat = .Cells(5, CustCol).Value  'Determine Variable Format
                                        TagName = .Cells(7, CustCol).Value 'Tag Name
                                        TagValue = .Cells(CustRow, CustCol).Value 'Tag Value
                                         With WordDoc.Content.Find
                                            .Text = TagName
                                            .Replacement.Text = Application.WorksheetFunction.Text(TagValue, VarFormat)
                                            .Wrap = wdFindContinue
                                            .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll 'Find & Replace all instances
                                         End With
                                    Next CustCol

If .Range("J3").Value = "PDF" Then
                                           FileName = ThisWorkbook.Path  & "\" & .Range("E" & CustRow).Value & "_" &  .Range("F" & CustRow).Value & ".pdf" 'Create full filename &  Path with current workbook location, Last Name & First Name
                                           WordDoc.ExportAsFixedFormat OutputFileName:=FileName, ExportFormat:=wdExportFormatPDF
                                           WordDoc.Close False
                                       Else: 'If Word
                                           FileName = ThisWorkbook.Path  & "\" & .Range("H" & CustRow).Value & " " &  .Range("D" & CustRow).Value & "-" & .Range("U" &  CustRow).Value & "-" & .Range("R" & CustRow).Value &  ".docx"
                                           WordDoc.SaveAs FileName
                                       End If
                                       .Range("O" & CustRow).Value = "DA"  'pre je bilo to' TemplName 'Template Name
                                       .Range("P" & CustRow).Value = Format(date_example, "dd.mm.yyyy hh:nn")
                                       .Range("R" & CustRow) = Format(date_example, "yyyy")
                                        If .Range("Q3").Value = "Email" Then
                                                      Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") 'Create Outlook Application
                                                      Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0) 'Create Email
                                                      With OutMail
                                                          .To = Sheet1.Range("L" & CustRow).Value
                                                          .Subject = "Hi, "  & Sheet1.Range("F" & CustRow).Value & " We Miss You"
                                                          .Body = "Hello, "  & Sheet1.Range("F" & CustRow).Value & " Its been a while  since we have seen you so we wanted to send you a special letter. Please  see the attached file"
                                                          .Attachments.Add FileName
                                                          .Display 'To send without Displaying change .Display to .Send
                                                      End With
                                        Else: 'Print Out
                                               WordDoc.PrintOut
                                               WordDoc.Close
                                        End If
                            Kill (FileName) 'Deletes the PDF or Word that was just created
                End If '3 condition met
            Next CustRow
            WordApp.Quit
    End With
    End Sub

BR
    Last edited by PeterKom; 04-26-2020 at 04:32 AM.

Given that your attached document implies the existence of content associated with each table beyond the tables themselves, the simplest approach would be to bookmark the range applicable to each table (e.g. Pozicija_1, Pozicija_2, Pozicija_3, Pozicija_4). Then, if a given table isn't used, simply delete the bookmarked content. That could be done using code like:
    Dim Tbl As Long, Rw As Long, StrData As String
    With WordDoc
        For Tbl = 4 To 2 Step -1
            With .Tables(Tbl)
                StrData = ""
                For Rw = 3 To 14
                    StrData = StrData & Split(.Cell(Rw, 2).Range.Text, vbCr)(0)
                Next
                If StrData = "" Then .Range.Bookmarks(1).Range.Delete
            End With
        Next
    End With
    inserted after:
    Next CustCol

Note: The above code assumes your 'Pozicija 1' table is the first in the document and that the 'Pozicija 1' to 'Pozicija 4' tables have no other tables between them. The code also assumes that unused tables will be empty in all of rows 3 through 14 in column 2.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Regular

Please find attached the Excel sheet with the used tabel and the Word Template.
    Copy them in the same folder and run the Excel. With the GREEN button you lunch the code that fills in the Word template.
    After it will finish it closes automaticaly. The saved Word file should be in the same folder.
    To test the script again just delete the value in column O and P which are put in by the script to know the offer has ben made.

BR
    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by PeterKom; 04-26-2020 at 05:17 AM.

VBAX Regular
    Hi, I have bookmarked the tables as suggested and the script does indeed delete the data in the table but not the table it self.
    The idea was to delete the whole thing so the data that follows moves up.
    Last edited by PeterKom; 04-26-2020 at 05:51 AM.

VBAX Regular
    I have modified the last bit of your code so it does delete the whole table liek that:

If StrData = "" Then .Range.Bookmarks(1).Range.Tables(1).Delete
    Is there any way to move up the text that is after the deleted tables right behind (2 empy rows) the last table that is in filled with data.
    I assume I have also to bookmark this bits of text.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKom View Post
    Is there any way to move up the text that is after the deleted tables right behind (2 empy rows) the last table that is in filled with data.
    I assume I have also to bookmark this bits of text.
    As I said in my previous reply:
    bookmark the range applicable to each table
    I did not say to bookmark only the table.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Regular
    Great, I did it by increasing the table by so much but if the bookmark can be the tabel + empty space after it or above it even better. I will try it.

Thank you very much for you fast reply and help in this matter!

Peter

VBAX Regular
    Dear Paul, I have tried to include the empty spaces before and after the table to the Bookmarks but they are not deleted by this line of code
    If StrData = "" Then .Range.Bookmarks(1).Range.Tables(1).Delete
    Peter

Without wanting to place too fine a point on it, that is not the code I posted...
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Regular
    [SOLVED] AUTO HIDE TABLES BASED ON CONTENT

Hehe, sorry you are right the bit of change I did to th code did delete the acctual table when it was selected but yours did not. Deleted only the data in it.
    But when selecting the empty space before and after the table your code works as I wanted.
    Thanks a lot!
    Peter