Consulting

Thread: index/match based on variable range

VBAX Newbie
    index/match based on variable range

Hi.

I need to create an Index/Match based on a variable range. I used Find and Address to locate the variable cell address, however now I need to identify the range based on the cell address to insert it in the index match/function. I am new to VBA so takes lots of time to figure out how to do that. Anyone can help?

Here is what I have so far (I am unsure what to do with POS.Address in red below to be able to define the range), as I have only the row/cell from $C$5 to $AD$5 if I use POS/Address and I need it to go to $C$5:$C$70, or $B$5:$B$70 etc up to $AD$5:$AD$70 depending on what is my active sheet name

Sub findPOS()
    Dim POS As Range
    Dim CustRev As Double

Set POS = Worksheets("WW Financials").Range("C5:AD5").find(what:=ActiveSheet.Name, LookIn:=xlValues)

Worksheets("WW Financials").Activate

CustRev = WorksheetFunction.Index(Range(POS.Address), WorksheetFunction.Match("Customer Revenue", Range("B2:B100"), 0))

End Sub
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 04-27-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Perhaps something along the lines of:
    Sub findPOS()
    Dim POS As Range
    Dim CustRev As Double

With Worksheets("WW Financials")
      Set POS = .Range("C5:AD5").Find(what:=ActiveSheet.Name, LookIn:=xlValues)
      If Not POS Is Nothing Then
        CustRev = WorksheetFunction.Index(POS.Resize(66), WorksheetFunction.Match("Customer Revenue", .Range("B2:B100"), 0))
      Else
        MsgBox "Couldn't find " & ActiveSheet.Name & " in row 5"
      End If
    End With
    End Sub
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Newbie
    Thank you! This worked, I just had to change the Range for the match to be same as for Index, as these were not same size ( I had up to row 70 for Index and up to row 100 for Match) and it was distorting a bit.