Consulting

Thread: Automatic Timestamp Insertion Application.Undo

Automatic Timestamp Insertion Application.Undo

Hello, this is my first post since I've joined this forum! I read the rules but if i'm missing anything in this post, please let me know so I can improve next time. So, in excel, I have been designing a workbook that automatically places a timestamp in a particular column when an 'x' is placed in a particular row. This timestamp insertion for sheet1 works great! However, the problem I have been running into is that if a user accidentally double clicks a cell or places an 'x' when they did not mean to, the timestamp adjusts automatically and there is no way to retrieve the previous timestamp (since excel does not natively store changes made by vba events in the undo list). Of course, I can simply exit without saving and then open the document again. But, my goal is to code in an option to restore the previous timestamp. I know there are multiple ways to go about this, but any assistance with getting my code right would be great. I am on windows 10 using Excel 2013. An additional note: There may be a way to use application.undo or scan each row using worksheet_calculate, but I am new to VBA and am not sure how to incorporate that into what I already have. Thank you very much for any assistance. The attached code is what i have thus far:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    'Automatic TimeStamp Insertion

Dim xRInt As Integer
    Dim xDStr As String
    Dim xFStr As String
    On Error Resume Next
    xDStr = "D:R" 'Data Columns that contain possible 'x'(s)
    xFStr = "C" 'Timstamp Column
    If (Not Application.Intersect(Me.Range(xDStr & ":" & xDStr), Target) Is Nothing) Then
           xRInt = Target.Row
           Me.Range(xFStr & xRInt) = Format(Now(), "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss")
    End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Target.Calculate

End Sub
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 05-21-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Removed 2 extra pair CODE tags

VBAX Sage

BTW, if someone puts an X into D2 and later an X in R2, the original timestamp in C2 will be replaced

Option Explicit

Dim r As Range

Set r = Target.Cells(1, 1)

If r.Column < 4 Or r.Column > 18 Then Exit Sub
        If UCase(r.Value) <> "X" Then Exit Sub

Application.EnableEvents = False    '   <<<<< Important
        r.Value = "X"   '   just in case
        Me.Cells(r.Row, 3).Value = "'" & Format(Now(), "m/dd/yyyy h:mm:ss am/pm")
        Application.EnableEvents = True    '   <<<<< Important

End Sub

'not needed
    'Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Thank you very much Paul!

VBAX Newbie
    Hello, this is my first post since I've joined this forum! I read the rules but if i'm missing anything in this post, please let me know so I can improve next time. So, in excel, I have been designing a workbook that automatically places a timestamp in a particular column when an 'x' is placed in a particular row. This timestamp insertion for sheet1 works great! However, the problem I have been running into is that if a user accidentally double clicks a cell or places an 'x' when they did not mean to, the timestamp adjusts automatically and there is no way to retrieve the previous timestamp (since excel does not natively store changes made by vba events in the undo list). Of course, I can simply exit without saving and then open the document again. But, my goal is to code in an option to restore the previous timestamp. I know there are multiple ways to go about this, but any assistance with getting my code right would be great. I am on windows 10 using Excel 2013. An additional note: There may be a way to use application.undo or scan each row using worksheet_calculate, but I am new to VBA and am not sure how to incorporate that into what I already have. Thank you very much for any assistance. The attached code is what i have thus far:

Dim xRInt As Integer
    Dim xDStr As String
    Dim xFStr As String
    On Error Resume Next
    xDStr = "D:R" 'Data Columns that contain possible 'x'(s)
    xFStr = "C" 'Timstamp Column
    If (Not Application.Intersect(Me.Range(xDStr & ":" & xDStr), Target) Is Nothing) Then
           xRInt = Target.Row
           Me.Range(xFStr & xRInt) = Format(Now(), "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss")
    End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Target.Calculate

End Sub

I was looking all over stack overflow for this thing and strongly find this here
    thank you mate