Consulting

Thread: Data separation

VBAX Regular
    Data separation

Hi All,

I have a large amount of data spread across multiple columns and rows. Unfortunately due to the output of the original program the data is output using commas as both decimal places and as separation devices. An image of the data is below:
    Data image.jpg
    Essentially the text columns should be changed to individual numbers that can be worked with, as per the below image:
    Data change.jpg

As the commas are used as decimal separators as well as text separators, using the built in excel "text to column" is very difficult. I have created a vba code that separates the text strings, changes the commas to decimal separators, deletes the trailing decimal separator and then saves as a value. However this is very inefficient as it uses a "for each cell" loop. Can anyone suggest any improvements to my code to make it operate faster? Or if there is any bit of built in functionality that I may have missed that may assist? My code is below. I have also uploaded a sample set of data. It is not all the columns or rows but you get the idea of what it looks like to begin with.

Sub Data_Separation()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

Dim rng As Range, cell As Range
    Dim myStr As String

ActiveSheet.Range("A2:A" & LastRow).TextToColumns Destination:=Range("A2"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
            TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=True, Tab:=True, _
            Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=True, Other:=False, FieldInfo _
            :=Array(Array(1, 9), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1), Array(4, 1), Array(5, 1), Array(6, 1), _
            Array(7, 1), Array(8, 9), Array(9, 9), Array(10, 9), Array(11, 1), Array(12, 1), Array(13, 1 _
            ), Array(14, 1), Array(15, 1), Array(16, 1), Array(17, 1), Array(18, 1), Array(19, 1)), _
            TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

Set rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange

rng.Replace What:=",", Replacement:=".", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder _
            :=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

For Each cell In rng
            myStr = cell
            If Right(myStr, 1) = "." Then
                cell = Left(myStr, Len(myStr) - 1)
                cell.NumberFormat = "0.000"
                cell.Value = cell.Value
            End If
        Next cell

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BeachBum; 05-27-2020 at 06:53 PM.

VBAX Sage
    Unfortunately the website is not letting me upload a txt file otherwise I would provide a small data sample.

Fake out the site by adding .zip to MyFile.txt making it MyFile.txt.zip

Just too hard to try and work with the picture
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    I know, 3 weeks later…
    The attached has two offerings:
    1. On Sheet1 there's a Power Query solution, which you'll need to right-click on (the table) and choose Refresh but it will balk, you need to follow this post to remedy that: http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/show...l=1#post403062

2. A variation of your macro:
    Sub Data_Separation2()
    Dim rng As Range, cell As Range
    Dim myStr As String
    LastRow = 21    'added this manually since its value isn't known.
    'looks like you have a header in row 1?
    ActiveSheet.Range("A2:A" & LastRow).TextToColumns Destination:=Range("A2"), DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=True, Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=True, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 9), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1), Array(4, 1), Array(5, 1), Array(6, 1), Array(7, 1), Array(8, 9), Array(9, 9), Array(10, 9), Array(11, 1), Array(12, 1), Array(13, 1), Array(14, 1), Array(15, 1), Array(16, 1), Array(17, 1), Array(18, 1), Array(19, 1)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

Set rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange    'assumes there's something in row 1 so:
    With Intersect(rng, rng.Offset(1))    'to only process data body and not the headers.
      .Replace What:=",", Replacement:=".", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False
      zz = .Value
      For r = 1 To UBound(zz)
        For c = 1 To UBound(zz, 2)
          If Right(zz(r, c), 1) = "." Then zz(r, c) = Left(zz(r, c), Len(zz(r, c)) - 1)
        Next c
      Next r
      .Value = zz
      .NumberFormat = "0.000"
    End With
    End Sub
    It should be much faster, without the need to disable calculation and screen updating. Try it on a copy of the Original sheet in the attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Simply use (fast as lightning):

Sub M_snb()
      With CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject")
        .createtextfile("J:\temp\sample.csv").write Replace(Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(.opentextfile("J:\temp\sample.txt").readall), ", ", "_"), ",", "."), "_", ",")
      End With

Workbooks.Open "J:\temp\sample.csv"
    End Sub

VBAX Regular

I admit project was a bit on hiatus and I only just just looked at this. It is definitely much faster! Thats awesome. I just need to modify a few little things but works well. Thank you so much.

VBAX Regular
    Simply use (fast as lightning):

Sub M_snb()
        .createtextfile("J:\temp\sample.csv").write Replace(Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(.opentextfile("J:\temp\sample.txt").readall), ", ", "_"), ",", "."), "_", ",")
      End With

End Sub

I love the simplicity of this. Had a few issues with Microsoft Scripting not being enabled. But it still doesn't work. I keep getting a VBA Runtime Error 1004 “Application-defined or Object-defined error”. Not sure why...

In which line ?
    Please be specific in your feedback.

Dit you check the availablitiy of the file you are going to process ?

What about ?

Sub M_snb()
        c00=Replace(Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(.opentextfile("J:\temp\sample.txt").readall), ", ", "_"), ",", "."), "_", ",")
        .createtextfile("J:\temp\sample.csv").write c00
      End With

End Sub

VBAX Regular
    In the first instance the error was located in the .CreateTextFile(.....).write Replace(....) line.
    In the second sample the error persists. Located on line c00 = Replace(Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(.OpenTextFile(.........
    There are several more columns and rows to the sample data set but this shouldn't make a difference to this method, should it? I also have a bunch of headers but even when removing those I still receive the error.

Did you adapt the filename ?
    Post a sample file.

VBAX Regular
    Did you adapt the filename ?
    Post a sample file.
    FYI, after a little more digging into your suggestion, I got the code working. But it required some modification and expansion.
    I am sure that it can be made a little more efficient but it works (and in a fraction of the time it originally took).

Dim objFSO
    Const ForReading = 1
    Const ForWriting = 2
    Dim objTS
    Dim strContents As String
    Dim fileSpec As String

fileSpec = Application.GetOpenFilename()
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objTS = objFSO.OpenTextFile(fileSpec, ForReading)
    strContents = objTS.ReadAll
    strContents = Replace(Replace(strContents, ", ", ";"), ",", ".")
    objTS.Close

Set objTS = objFSO.OpenTextFile(fileSpec, ForWriting)
    objTS.Write strContents
    objTS.Close
    End Sub