Consulting

Thread: Hello

Hello

My name is Paul, I just use Pablo as a login monika as there are so many Paul's out there it is hard to get a username sometimes.

Been using VBA for a fair while, but only as a hobby because I like programming but couldn't be bothered managing a database on my PC, and too lazy to learn something new

In the real world I do IT planning and strategy for a university.

Hopefully can contribute some help.

My first experience here was relatively unpleasant, with responses a bit judgy.

Also read through some past posts and see a pattern. I've been around forums long enough to know I don't want to be on this one.

So good luck to y'all, there's lot of good stuff in here but I'm heading back to StackOverflow where people are happy to explore strange questions without making you feel like an idiot.

Cheers

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I presume you mean me, and you PMed me to make such a point. I tried to respond to that PM, but you don't allow PMs to you, so I will post it here.

Pablo,

In my view, the question was misguided in that the OP was trying to fit the application to a bad premise, instead of looking at how it was architected. He, and you, should state what you are trying to achieve, rather than just trying to get us to help you build a bad solution.

I have been in the IT business, programmer, analyst, designer, project manager, for over 40 years, so I think I should be pointing out when I feel that people are on the wrong path.

Bob

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
    I presume you mean me, and you PMed me to make such a point. I tried to respond to that PM, but you don't allow PMs to you, so I will post it here.

Pablo,

In my view, the question was misguided in that the OP was trying to fit the application to a bad premise, instead of looking at how it was architected. He, and you, should state what you are trying to achieve, rather than just trying to get us to help you build a bad solution.

I have been in the IT business, programmer, analyst, designer, project manager, for over 40 years, so I think I should be pointing out when I feel that people are on the wrong path.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Not directed at you, not in regard to our briefest of interactions. Nothing you said to me was inappropriate and I thank you for a speedy response.

My PM didn't have anything to do with the post above, just wanted to give you some feedback privately. You seem to have made a great contribution to helping people.

I agree entirely that it is important to point out bad practice, it is really important and very often more valuable than technical advice. I hate it when clients come to me with solutions rather than problems.. All I was suggesting is that as well as questioning what is trying to be achieved and providing coaching about good practice, also answer specific questions that are asked even if they seem like a bad idea. It can save an unnecessary line of questioning 10 years later!

I turned off PMs because I didn't want to have a lengthy discussion and I cannot figure out how to delete my account. I am more than happy for an admin to delete me and all my related posts, they didn't further mankind's knowledge what-so-ever

BTW, I had already determined that my idea was not a good one, it would be hiding a business rule inside technical trickery, which is very bad practice. Much better that I explicitly pass an argument and the logic in the code transparently reacts accordingly. But I was still interested as curiosity is a good thing, and weird technical knowledge contributes to a fuller understanding of the tool being used. Watch videos of Ronaldhino practicing, he did a lot of stuff you would never do on the field, but never-the-less improves his skills (okay, HE might do it on the field too, but most wouldn't).

I've been in IT since 1985 and had a similar path as yours. I do IT architecture, strategy and planning these days. I've seen a lot of bad stuff, including people thinking VBA is a suitable language for building applications. I use it at home just for amusement because I miss programming, and I have a lot of old stuff from before anyone could just set up a platform on their PC, and I don't want to rebuild.

I lost interest in the forum when looking at some old posts, especially one where a simple introduction turned into a soapbox about what the word "American" means. Coupled with a moderator not understanding the difference between contributing to a topic and administering the thread. Either contribute and allow discussion, or administer it's closing for good reason. Keep the hats separate. Administrators who tell you your idea is bad practice, with no explanation, and then close the thread all at once send up red flags. I have been on too many forums to hang around ones that feel like drama.

Given I can't close the account I am going to put a filter on my emails, cause I know myself too well and if I see a response I'll want to reply - and creating the drama I seek to avoid!

Keep up the good work, and I wish you the best.

Cheers
    Paul

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Paul, I have only just seen your response, so apologies for my tardy reply.

First of all, a big thank-you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive and graceful response. I admit I did not expect it, which only makes it more the more pleasing to read your thoughts.

Whilst I accept a lot of what you say regarding admins of forums, and I do agree that many of the forums are over-administered (try Excel Forum where the admins are really picky little jobs-worth, some of them practicing the same pettiness on Excel Guru, which is a shame) and I personally do not believe in admonishing posters for infringing petty rules, but I have found the admins here to be the least intrusive of all forums (I admit that the posts you refer to do not ring any bells with me).

On a lighter note, I think you might find some of those videos of Ronaldinho are doctored. I know that the one where he hits the crossbar 10 times in a row (I think that is the one I recall) is definitely a fake. He is great, was great, no doubt about it, but some of them are just too much to believe. And he is a silly boy as Monty Python would say, in what he has done in Paraguay.

Anyway mate, sorry you feel as you do, but all the best wherever you land.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Sorry Paul but have to agree with Bob here. By the way, I'm speaking as a moderator here, so I think that it may have been better to generate a new thread on a very old subject (10 years), but hey I'll put that down as inexperience with this forum. I also understand that Admins and /or Moderators try to generate/maintain a climate that allows reasonable debate on a range of what they believe are acceptable issues. Like you we are human, we all see things slightly differently, and thankfully so. It would be a boring world otherwise wouldn't it? Your comment namely "I lost interest in the forum when looking at some old posts, especially one where a simple introduction turned into a soapbox about what the word "American" means. Coupled with a moderator not understanding the difference between contributing to a topic and administering the thread.", left me a little concerned. Old threads, particularly ones that are 10 years old don't necessarily reflect the advanced knowledge gained either through experience or intellectual development. Bob quite correctly tried to question why you wanted to promote a concept long debunked. Here's a concept for you Paul, what moderators/Admins accepted as reasonable content 10 years ago isn't necessarily accepted as such today, in fact I believe that in 10 years time we possibly wont accept half the content of today. Its a very fluid world of communications and content knowledge, to which you and I need to adapt.

Now I'm speaking as a contributor to this forum. I haven't found another VBA forum where I can participate so easily. I also understand that because of the diversity of the participants that not everyone will agree with my comments or thinking, so I do expect a wide range of comments. Those I think are helpful I use, those that I don't i simply ignore. If you were offended because the thread was closed...... I thought us Aussies were a little thicker skinned than that. As Bob kindly offered " where ever you land all the best", is as good as advice as I can suggest as well.
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link