Consulting

Thread: Making a dynamic list.

Making a dynamic list.

Hello.

I've been tinkering with making a dynamic list, but i might be going the wrong way about it.
    If you see the sample workbook, Theres a problem in C14.D14, even though the cell in "blank" its not a true blank cell, therefore its still counted and numbered, resulting in a "hole" in the generated list ( Based on J10:J17 ), that's being used in F4.

Any way to make the "blank" cell not counted and therefore the list being without these holes ?

Sample.xlsx

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    If you've used SUBTOTAL because of the way it behaves with filtered/hidden rows this won't work:
    In cell C9 of your sheet:
    =IF(D9<>"",1,"")

In cell C10:
    =IF(D10<>"",MAX(C$9:C9)+1,"")
    copy down to C21.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Now i feel like a complete idiot, i got so set on using SUBTOTAL, that i dident even think about much simpler ways of doing it.
    Thanks alot!, it works like a charm.

For future projects, if anyone know a way to make a cell "true" blank, while still holding a formula ( either with VBA or without ), i'd still appreciate it ( also because i might learn something ).

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    If it has a formula, it is not blank. If you want to exclude such 'blanks', try something like

=SUMPRODUCT(--LEN(A1:A10)>0)

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber