Consulting

Thread: RE: Pivot table creation in existing sheet- VBA issues

RE: Pivot table creation in existing sheet- VBA issues

Hi All,

I need an help to create pivot table in same existing sheet. I have tried creating macros using recording and as well as on the dynamic way. However, I face runtime error at pivot creation part (Attached error images).pivot.JPG

Pivot table in existing sheet creation support required- explained below:

1)In my workbook I have multiple sheets where pivot table should always be created in second sheet - which will be the source data for pivot(sheet will be second sheet after Main data sheet) - Attached the source dump for your reference.

2)one more help required here is- name of sheet changes based on item name(Sheet name starts with space followed by name of item Eg: Item-Pencil). Also, one or two sheets will be hidden in workbook.

Hence I am struggling while creating pivot cache part. In my code, i am trying calling the sheet name with sheet index, while creating pivot sheet and facing the run-time error in below line when i step through the code.

Set myPivotTable = ThisWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:=Sheet3.Name & "!" & mySourceData).CreatePivotTable(TableDestination:=Sheet3.Name & "!" & myDestinationRange, TableName:="PivotTableExistingSheet")

kindly validate and provide your help. Thanks for your support in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Change to:
    Set myPivotTable = ThisWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:="'" & Sheet3.Name & "'!" & mySourceData).CreatePivotTable(TableDestination:="'" & Sheet3.Name & "'!" & myDestinationRange), TableName:="PivotTableExistingSheet")
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Hi p45cal,

I get the syntax error when i checked replaced your code and not allowing me to step through the code.

Attachment 27354

Please help out

Set myPivotTable = ThisWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:="'" & Sheet3.Name & "'!" & mySourceData).CreatePivotTable(TableDestination:="'" & Sheet3.Name & "'!" & myDestinationRange), TableName:="PivotTableExistingSheet")

Invalid attachment specified.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Hi,

PFA the attachment.

syntax.jpg

Well I tested it here before posting - attach the modified file here.
    p45cal

Hi p45cal,

I could no view or download your file. Please reshare it.

I don't have a file to share; I'm asking you to share yours, the one which includes my suggested amendment.
    p45cal

Hi p45cal,

Please find the attachment - modified file with your line of code.

Sorry for the confusion.

an extra parenthesis crept in:
    Set myPivotTable = ThisWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:="'" & Sheet3.Name & "'!" & mySourceData).CreatePivotTable(TableDestination:="'" & Sheet3.Name & "'!" & myDestinationRange, TableName:="PivotTableExistingSheet")
    p45cal

VBAX Sage
    Here's something to consider -- my guess as to where you wanted to get to

Some of that code was way more complicated than needed

Option Explicit

Sub createPivotTableExistingSheet()
        Dim rMainData As Range
        Dim wsPT As Worksheet, wsItem As Worksheet
        Dim myPivotTable As PivotTable
        Dim ptItem As PivotItem

Set rMainData = MainData.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion      '   Note - Using code name for WS "Main Data"

Set wsPT = AddSheet("PT")

Set myPivotTable = ThisWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, _
            SourceData:=rMainData).CreatePivotTable(TableDestination:=wsPT.Cells(1, 1), TableName:="PivotTableExistingSheet")

With myPivotTable
            .PivotFields("Item").Orientation = xlPageField
            .PivotFields("OrderDate").Orientation = xlRowField
            .PivotFields("Region").Orientation = xlRowField
            .PivotFields("Rep").Orientation = xlRowField
            .PivotFields("Units").Orientation = xlRowField
            .PivotFields("Unit Cost").Orientation = xlRowField
            With .PivotFields("Total")
                .Orientation = xlDataField
                .Position = 1
                .Function = xlSum
                .NumberFormat = "#,##0.00"
            End With

.RowAxisLayout xlTabularRow

.PivotFields("OrderDate").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
            .PivotFields("Region").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
            .PivotFields("Rep").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
            .PivotFields("Item").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
            .PivotFields("Units").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
            .PivotFields("Unit Cost").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
            .PivotFields("Total").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)

.ColumnGrand = False
            .RowGrand = False

.PivotFields("OrderDate").AutoSort xlAscending, "OrderDate"
            .PivotFields("Region").AutoSort xlAscending, "Region"
            .PivotFields("Rep").AutoSort xlAscending, "Rep"

For Each ptItem In .PivotFields("Item").PivotItems
                .PivotFields("Item").ClearAllFilters
                .PivotFields("Item").CurrentPage = ptItem.Value

Set wsItem = AddSheet(ptItem.Value)

.TableRange1.Copy
                wsItem.Cells(1, 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
                wsItem.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion.Font.Bold = False
                wsItem.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion.EntireColumn.AutoFit
            Next
        End With
    End Sub

Private Function AddSheet(S As String) As Worksheet
        On Error Resume Next
        Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        Worksheets(S).Delete
        Application.DisplayAlerts = True
        On Error GoTo 0

Call ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Add(MainData)
        ActiveSheet.Name = S
        Set AddSheet = ActiveSheet

End Function
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

HI p45cal,

Thanks for the updated code shared by you. it works fine.

Also, I need your support again here -> I need to create the same pivot table for each sheets after the first sheet of current workbook.

Example: Let's say if i have 5 -sheets after first sheet, then macro should create the pivot table in each sheet till the no. of. sheets found in that workbook. Please help out.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi Paul_Hossler,

Thanks for your code. I will check and revert back.

Adding one point here- i want the macros to create pivot in existing sheets of macro file, i don't want to create sheet and pivot table to be created there.

If i have 5 sheets in my file, then macro should create 4 sheets each -> pivot table with same pivot fields and values.

One more condition macro should start picking up post first sheet i.e., from second sheet till N- sheets it should create pivot table. Please help me if this is possible

Thanks for your help and support.

VBAX Sage

BUT what is it that you really want to end up with?

Looking at your Sample attachment

Capture.JPG

I GUESSED that you were looking for a worksheet for each Item

Now I really don't understand

Do you mean that you want the pivot table source in MainData to be built by combining data from "Item-Pen" and "Item-Pencil, etc.?

Or

Do you want 4 pivot tables, one pne each Item worksheet and using the data on that sheet?
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 10-30-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

RE: Pivot table creaton in existing sheet --VBA

Hi Paul_Hossler,

My current macro creates the pivot table only for one sheet Item - Pencil using P45cal piece of code it works fine for this sheet.

I need some more additional feature like for each sheet, pivot tables to be created as you stated below:

Do you want 4 pivot tables, one pen each Item worksheet and using the data on that sheet - yes. IF my workbook have 5 sheets, then 5 pivot tables tobe created using the data on the sheet with same pivot fields as per current macro.

Item -column field

Region- Row field

Total - Values field (as sum)

two conditions:
    Sheet name will vary and change hence we need to refer in this way sheet1 or sheet index.

macro should start creating pivot table from second sheet i.e, except Main Data, it should create pivot for all sheets using the data on that sheet.

I'm confused too with that last attachement; for exmple 9/27/20 West Sorvino Pen 76 1.99 151.24 appears on 3 sheets.
    p45cal

VBAX Sage
    Try this, but I have to say that I don't see where you're going with this

Option Explicit

Sub createPivotTables()
        Dim rData As Range
        Dim wsPT As Worksheet, wsItem As Worksheet

For Each wsItem In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
            If wsItem.Name = "Main Data" Then GoTo NextSheet    '   space in from of tab name
            If wsItem.Visible <> xlSheetVisible Then GoTo NextSheet '   sheet2 is hidden

Set rData = wsItem.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion

SourceData:=rData).CreatePivotTable(TableDestination:=wsItem.Cells(1, 1).Offset(0, rData.Columns.Count + 2))

With wsItem.PivotTables(1)
                .PivotFields("OrderDate").Orientation = xlRowField
                .PivotFields("Rep").Orientation = xlRowField
                .PivotFields("Item").Orientation = xlRowField
                .PivotFields("Units").Orientation = xlRowField
                .PivotFields("Unit Cost").Orientation = xlRowField
                        .Position = 1
                        .Function = xlSum
                    End With

.PivotFields("OrderDate").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
                .PivotFields("Region").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
                .PivotFields("Rep").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
                .PivotFields("Item").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
                .PivotFields("Units").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
                .PivotFields("Unit Cost").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)
                .PivotFields("Total").Subtotals = Array(False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False)

.ColumnGrand = False
                .RowGrand = False

.PivotFields("OrderDate").AutoSort xlAscending, "OrderDate"
                .PivotFields("Rep").AutoSort xlAscending, "Rep"
            End With

NextSheet:
        Next
    End Sub

Paul

2. Upload an example

Hi Paul_Hossler,

Thanks for your code and it works fine. But can i ask for some changes in this code, i just need only simple pivot table to created in each sheet except Main Data without blank and grand totals to be shown at end of pivot table as shown below:
    mypivot.PNG

As per your work it works fine in each sheet, pivot created. can you please bring it to start from column J and row 3. Also, please remove the highlighted pivot fields from pivot :
    Paul_pivot.jpg

Only these fields are required to view in pivot table:
    Item -column field

Region- Row field

Total - Values field (as sum)

Please don't worry about the data within each sheets. it is for testing purpose.

This is an condition: First sheet and other sheets will have space in the beginning of the sheet name.

Please help out.

Thanks for your support in advance.

VBAX Sage

Sub createPivotTables()
        Dim rData As Range
        Dim wsItem As Worksheet
        Dim i As Long

For Each wsItem In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
            With wsItem

If .Name = " Main Data" Then GoTo NextSheet         '   space in from of tab name
                If .Visible <> xlSheetVisible Then GoTo NextSheet   '   sheet2 is hidden

Set rData = .Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion

If .PivotTables.Count > 0 Then
                    For i = .PivotTables.Count To 1 Step -1
                        .PivotTables(i).TableRange1.EntireColumn.Delete
                    Next i
                End If

SourceData:=rData).CreatePivotTable(TableDestination:=.Cells(3, 10))

With .PivotTables(1)
                    .PivotFields("Item").Orientation = xlColumnField
                        .Position = 1
                        .Function = xlSum
                    End With

.ColumnGrand = False
                    .RowGrand = False

On Error Resume Next
                    .PivotFields("Region").PivotItems("(blank)").Visible = False
                    .PivotFields("Item").PivotItems("(blank)").Visible = False
                    On Error GoTo 0
                End With
            End With
    NextSheet:
        Next
    End Sub

Paul

2. Upload an example

Hi Paul_Hossler,

Thanks for your updated code. I have tested in my system as well and perfectly pivot tables are created as per my request.

This absolutely works fine . Thank you so much for your patience and help .

@p45cal - Thank you so much for your help and too