Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VBA code to speed up and automate multiple account, multiple site stock movements

VBA code to speed up and automate multiple account, multiple site stock movements

MVPs

I need help with vba code to speed up and automate multiple account, multiple site stock movements. The current file has formula and due to the large size of the data set(this is growing every single day!), running the report this way is now crushing excel(file attached).
    Input Tab : Column A - stock codes, Main Header Row(OS, GRNS, WMS, LGRNS, CS, TRANSFERS) are Stock Movement Categories.
    TRANSFERS represent inter site movements eg. WML>CW(WML to CW) and CW>WML(CW to WML).
    Sub Header Row(WML,MCO,DW,CW,IH,WH,YEA,OTH,SPW) are Stock Storage sites. This is the raw data tab.

Output Tab: (Desired Result):
    Column A: Currently builds the Key ID for Site & Stock Code(Concat Account(column B) & Code(Column C).
    Sumifs formulae are then used to sum up stocks by storage sites(from Input Tab) under Headers(OS, GRNS, WMS, LRGNs, CS),
    Ifs formulae are used to sum up all intersite transfers).

Please note that all sites share the same 10 000 different stock items(Column A in Input tab and Column C in Output tab). Had to truncate the file size(currently about 30MB). (May be adding a single tab with one set of stock items in Column A and the site movements counts tabulated from there-have hidden the tab incase this will help simplify the solution)

Although this works, as it is run daily, it is too much real estate, is very slow, crushing Excel due to the ever growing size of the data set. I have tried recording a macro on this and it crashes due to formulae(I suspect). Would also be grateful if the vba solution can accept dynamic update of stock randomly across the sites in the OUTPUT sheet(column B -sites are ordered in groups currently). Thank you in advance.

cfo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    I've been able to get similar results to you and get them updating almost instantly (partly due to it being a small subset of your data).
    One reason for differences in values in the picture below is that some of your formulae refer to the empty cells below the table on the INPUT sheet.
    What version of Excel are you using?
    How do you get this data into Excel? Does it come from external files? If so it would very probably be easier (and lighter on Excel) to grab this data directly from those files.
    It would help if you could perhaps share a workbook on a file-sharing site which would allow bigger files, then share a link to it (privately if you want).
    It would be even better if you could share the source files of this data (if they exist, that is).
    2020-12-05_024441.jpg
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Sage
    Another approach is to take the INPUT and process it to a pivot table-friendly format

Capture.JPG

Not sure of some of your business rules, and I think some of your test data as formulas were incorrect

Option Explicit

Dim rowOut As Long
    Dim wsIn As Worksheet, wsTemp As Worksheet

Sub PrepareForPivotTable()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

On Error Resume Next
        Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        Worksheets("Temp").Delete
        Application.DisplayAlerts = True
        On Error GoTo 0

Worksheets.Add.Name = "Temp"
        Set wsTemp = Worksheets("Temp")

Set wsIn = Worksheets("INPUT")

rowOut = 1

With wsTemp
            .Cells(rowOut, 1).Value = "Code"         '   e.g. RB515
            .Cells(rowOut, 2).Value = "Category"     '   e.g. OS
            .Cells(rowOut, 3).Value = "Account"      '   e.g. WML
            .Cells(rowOut, 4).Value = "Qty"          '   e.g. 180
        End With

rowOut = rowOut + 1

Call pvtList("OS", wsIn.Range("B:J"))
        Call pvtList("GRN", wsIn.Range("K:S"))
        Call pvtList("WMS", wsIn.Range("T:AB"))
        Call pvtList("LGRN  ", wsIn.Range("AC:AK"))
        Call pvtList("CS", wsIn.Range("AL:AT"))
        Call pvtList("TRANSFERS", wsIn.Range("AU:BN"))

wsTemp.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion.Name = "Data"

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

Private Sub pvtList(Cat As String, R As Range)
        Dim r1 As Range
        Dim iRow As Long, iCol As Long
        Dim rowCell As Long, colCell As Long
        Dim v As Variant

Set r1 = Intersect(R, wsIn.UsedRange)

With r1
            For iRow = 3 To .Rows.Count
                For iCol = 1 To .Columns.Count
                    If .Cells(iRow, iCol).Value > 0 Then
                        rowCell = .Cells(iRow, iCol).Row
                        colCell = .Cells(iRow, iCol).Column

wsTemp.Cells(rowOut, 1).Value = wsIn.Cells(rowCell, 1).Value        '   code
                        If Cat = "TRANSFERS" Then
                            v = Split(wsIn.Cells(2, colCell).Value, ">")
                            wsTemp.Cells(rowOut, 2).Value = "TRANS"                         ' category
                            wsTemp.Cells(rowOut, 3).Value = v(1)                            ' account
                        Else
                            wsTemp.Cells(rowOut, 2).Value = Cat                            ' category
                            wsTemp.Cells(rowOut, 3).Value = wsIn.Cells(2, colCell).Value    ' account
                        End If

wsTemp.Cells(rowOut, 4).Value = wsIn.Cells(rowCell, colCell).Value    '   qty

rowOut = rowOut + 1
                    End If

Next iCol
            Next iRow
        End With
    End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Thanks P45cal - the source data is a csv download from a bespoke software for stock management. Using Excel 2016. I had to truncate the file(hence empty data bit in some cells). Let me try and set up a link to save the whole file and will get back to you. Much appreciated.
    Cfo

Hi MPVP Paul - thanks a lot for this. Let me try this out. Also, MVP P45cal has an idea to use the source data so will post a large file of this and share link. I will feedback on the script you sent. Thanks once again.
    Cfo

Hi here is the link with the full file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KHx...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks

cfo

VBAX Sage

The attachment includes only the pivot tables (copy/paste values) based on the temp sheet generated by the macro (runs in 3-4 seconds)
    Normally INPUT and Temp would be in the the workbook

If you want to try it out, put the macro in your real workbook, run it, and then make pivot table(s)

Capture.JPG

Some data issues

1. Some Codes are blank
    2. I think I did the transfer calculations correctly
    3. Data goes wahoonie-shaped if I sort INPUT since the OUTPUT formulas don't update and now point to the wrong row.
    4. Don't know about KiDm field - the two sub-fields are there already

If you do have a formatting requirement for management, a second macro can take the PT and make a pretty report
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

Hi Paul - data is random test data(stock in KGs that could be between 1 and up to 100k). Sorry for not specifying.
    Thanks

Hi Paul - thanks. Have you seen the latest file I sent through the link?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KHx...ew?usp=sharing
    This is a third of the full data set. I would replicate the code soluton for full coverage once done. I will play with what you just sent and feedback. Thanks once again.

VBAX Sage

If there's any confusion, I'll PM you a link to my Google Drive with the more complete file

Paul

2. Upload an example

Hi Paul - have replaced the sample input data with the real dataset - script been running for the last 5 mins, and still running. 100% memory usage. Timing it(hopefull wont crash). Thanks

VBAX Sage

PM me link to your GD with the full dataset (if you can) and I'll look for bottle necks in my macro

Paul

2. Upload an example

hi Paul - the full dataset crashed Excel. It does work on a small data set. Thanks

VBAX Sage

PM me link to your GD with the full dataset (if you want) and I'll look for bottle necks in my macro

Paul

2. Upload an example

Hi Paul - I have deleted the Output file(Formulae caused the crashing) and replicated your runtime. Can you please add code for Intersite Transfers be part of the Temp file so they can be pivoted by site? eg for CW - it will show WML>CW, DW>CW, SPW>CW, WH>CW example. Alternatively, a separate pivot?
    Thanks.

VBAX Sage
    I tried to make the PT look like your Output. What changes did you want?

Input

Input.JPG

Your original Output

Output.JPG

My pivot table

Pivot.JPG

Paul

2. Upload an example

Paul-Intersite Transfer by Site Pivot

Hi Paul - have attached the Intersite by Site Transfer pivot idea. And yes, my team would benefit from a Management Report as per your brilliant idea. Will transform the execution of our Working Capital and Sustainability Strategy significantly.

Thanks once again.

VBAX Sage

How about this format? Little different, but putting the To and the From in separate fields is better (I think)

Can be done the other way

This PT is built off the same INPUT sheet as the non-transfers (OK?? or do you have a separate sheet for transfers??))

Paul

2. Upload an example

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    See attached.
    I've checked the values and all are the same as yours except for where I think your formulae go a bit awry; see cell I3085 and below (in your original file).
    I've replaced your formulae with plain values because they were taking a while to recalculate.
    This is a pivot table based on a Power Query query.
    Refreshing takes less than a second (right-click the pivot and choose Refresh).
    There's a chance that your version of Power Query might throw an error - it can be tweaked.

It would probably be even more robust if it were to query the csv file directly - and at the same time obviate any manipulations you need to perform to get that data into Excel yourself, and make updating your spreadsheet no more complex than replacing the csv file with a more recent version and refreshing the pivot.

You can PM me here to share a sensitive link to such a csv or for my private email address.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Hi P45cal - Thanks for this. Let me review and get back to you. MVP Paul has a similar approach that eliminates need for the OUTPUT file(thats removes the boilerplate formulae. Formulae as you know fails the DRY(DONT REPEAT YOURSELF) ethos in modelling and coding!
    Thanks once again. PS: I am a Surrey Alumni(in case you are - would be great to go PM, about to start an AI MSc there!)
    Thanks