Consulting

Thread: Custom Dialog Box "Show" method causes runtime Error on some Excel installations

Custom Dialog Box "Show" method causes runtime Error on some Excel installations

The Custom dialog is on the top sheet and is the first thing the user should see but throws this:-

run-time error -2147417848 (80010108)
    Method "Show" of Object "DialogSheet" failed

This sheet functions properly on some installations of Excel but throws the error on other installations of Excel.

The problem must be in the options somewhere or an add-in or extension that is not installed?????

Any help or suggestions are welcome. I am an experienced coder (30 years) so I may be looking too deep into this and walking right past what I need to address.

JDCoaster

VBAX Sage
    So you know the importance of sufficient test materials to do some debugging

Attach a small sanitized workbook or at least something more than the error message and we'll take a look
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Link deleted by SamT
    zip file with instructions.

let me know if you have any trouble with the link
    Last edited by SamT; 02-01-2021 at 09:24 AM.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Please post the file in this forum, not elsewhere.

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCoaster View Post
    let me know if you have any trouble with the link
    #2 in my sig has instructions as to how to load a file to this forum
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

I am not installing your problematic Template on my system. If you are going to upload anything, just upload the xlt file and not the damn installer. The Installer requires all my personal information, presumably to report back to your organization. Ain't happnen.

Even if I did, it would not help. We need to know which of your systems it works on and which it doesn't work on. We also need to see just the code that is raising the error.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Am I not being clear? The problem I have is WITH the installation macro enabled sheet. On platforms that the template has actually installed itself the template that is installed operate without error.

the problem is with the installer sheet.

can anyone think of a setting that will prevent the creation of a custom form. Also, are there levels of VBA installation that has pre-built, customisable dialog boxes?

the error given is obviously from an attempt to execute a non-existing show method.

the VBA code is not at fault as it functions normally on most platforms

my thoughts are a missing object library or a setting not allowing an object library to be accessed and therefore the object creation failure and consequently a non-existent show method.

SamT are you aware of scratch systems? They are used for this very purpose. I am in a field deployment situation ATM so my scratch systems are not available to me.
    if you do not have one then you will be unable to test the install Sheet.

thank you for your time.

Template installer attached if anyone is game.
    Attachment removed by SamT
    Last edited by SamT; 02-01-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Do not use protection in uploaded files.
    Do not make the VBA-code unavailable
    Do not use merged cells.
    Do you want to solve problems or to create them ?

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCoaster View Post
    Template installer attached if anyone is game.
    Just what is supposed to happen or not happen?

I opened the xlsm and ended with a blank and slightly different screen

Paul

2. Upload an example

As a Mod, it is my job to protect our members from malware. All attachments and links from JDCoaster have been removed.

Hopefully the OP will reread, understand, and take to heart all responses in this thread

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    As a Mod, it is my job to protect our members from malware. All attachments and links from JDCoaster have been removed.
    Any indications that it really was a malware bomb?

It passed my 2 AVs (Defender and MalwareBytes) but I'm doing a full off schedule scan anyways

Paul

2. Upload an example

I've seen none, but it's not hard to "Prank" a system with VBA

Imagine an "orphan" line of code "Application.EnableEvents = False". I've been hit by that in beginner's code so many times I wrote an "ApplicationRestore" sub in my Personal Workbook just to handle such egregious errors.

Sure, I could set up another machine, as the OP suggests, but I'm not the OP's servant, I'm here for my own enjoyment, and I would not enjoy that. What is most suspicious is that the OP has followed no one's requests to post the problematic code, and hasn't provided the Project's password; Andrew, (the OP,) just wants us to run his installer. His installer fails on some systems, so only the systems where it doesn't install will even "see" an error, but they won't be able to investigate the code since it didn't install.

@SamT

Thanks.