Consulting

Thread: VBA Chain texts from multiple rows with multiple column conditions into one cell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    VBAX Newbie
    VBA Chain texts from multiple rows with multiple column conditions into one cell

Dear Forum,

I am new to VBA express, but have already done some VBA coding now and then over the last couple of years. Normally I always find usefull tips to write my codes according to forum suggestions of other user's. Now I have a really complex problem, which I don't get my head around, as it needs many steps, and my head creates an overflow of so many loops.

My Excel version is 2010.

Situation:
    - I have a standard report (extracted from SAP, so the headers always look the same), that gives me a text description to multiple "products" in DE, EN and FR languages, but in different rows and not in columns, i.e. one product has a German description with 3 rows, so for example DE1= "Tollstes", DE2= "Produkt", DE3= "der Welt"
    - To illustrate, what I mean, I created a screenshot, see attachments. The source data is in Sheet2 and my output sheet is Sheet1.

My approach:
    1) First loop (For i=2 to 4) to identify the Material ID, which is in Sheet1 column A --> save this in a variable called "Produktnummer"
    2) Second loop to search for "Produktnummer" in Sheet 2 to identify first line of Material texts in Sheet 2.
    2) Third loop to search for the first language letter within each Produktnummer in sheet2, column G --> i.e. search for "D", then for "E", then for "F" (D, E, F)
    3) 4th loop to search for the number of lines within each language in sheet 2, column I --> i.e. search for 1, 2, 3
    4) If For the Material ID there exist language D, line 1 then store it in Variable "TextD", next if for Material ID there exist language D, line 2 then store it additionally into Variable "TextD" (i.e. similar like TextD=TextD1&" "&TextD2&" "&TexD3), and so on, until the the condition is not met (=no more D textlines in Sheet 1 to this Material)
    5) Then store TextD into the correct cell in Sheet 1, i.e. Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, 2).Value = TextD
    6) Continue with next language...

As you can see, it gets very complicated. Maybe there is an easier way or doing this. I am open for different approaches.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Kind regards,
    Julia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot - Final State after Macro.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	27841  
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Newbie
    Does anyone has an idea? Maybe even an easier approach than mine?

Outer loop: Break the Material Rows into blocks.
    Middle loop: Blocking the Materials, Set the Material Variable, then either use Find + Previous, or If Not Offset(1,0) = Material to determine the last row of that block.
    Innermost loop: Loop thru the Language symbols of that block, use three
    ifs to concatenate the descriptions into 3 different variables. Write the variable Values.

No, it's not simple, Yes it does require three loops.

I think you will need Range variables FirstMat, and LastMat.
    'Before the first loop use
    Set FirstMat = Range("A2")
    '
    '
    'At the end of the outer loop use something like
    If LastMat.Offset(1) = "" Then Exit Sub
    FirstMat = LastMat.Offset(1)
    Next
    End Sub
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Hi, I am new. Thought of different approach other than coding. Select all table and rows -- then Click - insert - Pivot table --> Then Drag "material" to Rows and after this drag "Texte" to Rows area. This gives me data in single coloumn but all tasks are listed under as required.