Consulting

Thread: Import Access 97 to Access 2016

Import Access 97 to Access 2016

I have an Access database file that runs with Access 97 and Windows 97. I want to move it to a computer that has Access 2016 and Windows 10. Will there be compatibility issues? Is there a procedure that needs to be followed?

I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Guru
    It has been a long time since this has come up.
    If my memory serves me correctly you will have to create an Access database in Access 2000 format.
    Open the Access 97 database and convert it to or save it as an Access 2000 database.
    That Access 2000 database will now be in a fromat that Access 2007 and higher versions can recognise, open and convert to the later versions.

VBAX Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by OBP View Post
    It has been a long time since this has come up.
    If my memory serves me correctly you will have to create an Access database in Access 2000 format.
    Open the Access 97 database and convert it to or save it as an Access 2000 database.
    With Access 97, I have compressed the MDB file and made an MDE. Now, how do I make the conversion to a Access 2000 database? I only have 97 and 16. According to what I find with Google, I will have to have Access 2007 or 2010 to be able to convert the MDB to .accdb format. I think I can buy a 2007 for $20-25. Is there another way?

If I go that route, I suppose I would have to update the 97 to 2007 to be able to run it - assuming Access 2007 is compatible with Windows 98.

That Access 2000 database will now be in a fromat that Access 2007 and higher versions can recognise, open and convert to the later versions.

Quote Originally Posted by stanhilliard View Post
    If I go that route, I suppose I would have to update the 97 to 2007 to be able to run it - assuming Access 2007 is compatible with Windows 98.
    Answering my own comment - Access 2007 will not run in Windows 98.
    And I don't want to uninstall my current Access 16 from Windows 10.

Edit: The installed Access 16 version hasn't been used. I wonder if it is possible to replace it with the 2007 version independent of other Office components. Both versions of Access are 32 bit.
    Last edited by stanhilliard; 02-06-2021 at 04:13 PM. Reason: New thought

VBAX Guru
    Won't Access 97 run in windows 10 in windows 98 mode?
    Does the database contain confidential data?

Won't Access 97 run in windows 10 in windows 98 mode?
    Does the database contain confidential data?
    Only Access 2007 and Access 2010 can convert the format.

I hadn't heard about Windows 98 mode. Does that mean I would run Access 16 in Windows 98 mode using the Access 97 file? Or to install Access 97 and run the 97 file in Windows 98 mode?

Office XP can still be bought for $10 on ebay

However, I would install it on the 97 machine to do the conversion from 97 to 2000

I run Excel and Word XP on windows XP and can convert 97 to XP and XP to 2007, so I think Access XP could dp the same. nOTE THAT i ALSO RUN THE 2007 CONVERSION pAK FOR xp.

dAM cAPS lOCK
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Guru
    Stan, it is not wise to try and run two versions of Access at that same time as it can mess up the registry for one or both of them.
    So you would have to uninstall Access 2016 to install 97.
    SamT's suggestion of buying an old office version might be worth a try, but you may have the same registry concerns if you try and install it on the new machine. I am not sure Windows 98 can run Office XP.
    I suppose it depends on just how important the 97 database is.

I was thinking that someone with Access 2007 could convert it for you.

VBAX Regular
    If you want to PM me, I will convert it to an accdb format and send it back to you if you need this converted.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    I use Access 2007 on Win10.
    If you want to PM me, I will convert it to an accdb format and send it back to you if you need this converted.

HTH
    Gasman, I appreciate the offer. But the database contains a table with information about people's identity - unless there is a method to prevent sending that.

Stan, it is not wise to try and run two versions of Access at that same time as it can mess up the registry for one or both of them.
    So you would have to uninstall Access 2016 to install 97.
    SamT's suggestion of buying an old office version might be worth a try, but you may have the same registry concerns if you try and install it on the new machine. I am not sure Windows 98 can run Office XP.
    I suppose it depends on just how important the 97 database is.

I was thinking that someone with Access 2007 could convert it for you.
    In thinking about this I realized that my wife has a laptop with windows 10 Home and no MS office. I could use that machine to avoid the registry possibility. (Why didn't I think of that earlier?)

I found a copy on line of Office 2003 for $5.99. The following message implies that the following path works: Access97 --->Access2003 --->Access16. It is the only reference I saw for using Access 2003, but at that price it might be worth a try. See any problems with that?

Convert an Access 97 database to the .accdb format
    Starting with Access 2013, it’s no longer possible to directly convert an Access 97 database (.mdb) to the .accdb file format. However, you can open an Access 97 database in a previous version of Access, and then save the database in a format that Access 2013 can open. For example, here’s how to use Access 2003 to open an Access 97 database, then convert it to a format that can be opened by Access 2013:
    1. Open the Access 97 database in Access 2003.
    2. Click Tools > Database Utilities > Convert Database > to Access 2002-2003 file format.
    3. Enter a name for the database and click Save.
    4. Close Access 2003 and open Access 2013.
    5. Open the database and click File > Save As > Access Database (.accdb) > Save As > Save.
    You can also use Access 2007 or Access 2010 to convert an Access 97 database to the .accdb format. When you open an Access 97 database in either of these two products, the Database Enhancement wizard appears to help convert the database to an .accdb format.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/f1/...__toc329594362

VBAX Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stanhilliard View Post
    Gasman, I appreciate the offer. But the database contains a table with information about people's identity - unless there is a method to prevent sending that.
    Well, you really only need to send the structure I would have thought?, then you could import to the accdb with a few simple queries?
    Up to you really.?

Try your way, and if that does not work, then come back if I can help.

Conversion v97 to v2003 was successful. But some activities on v2016 produce the following error:

E:\Hh\Business\SalesLeads\LABELS is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides. (Error 3044)
    The database was in the same path on all three computers -- except for the following difference:

v97 --- the database was on E:

v2003 - the database was on E:

v2016 - the database is on C:.

I got the database to run on E: of the computer with v2016 by using the same path as the others. I did a lot of searching, and I don't think anybody has solved this apparent Access bug. Some say it happens when Memos are used.

I have the 2003 and 2016 versions runing on two different Windows 10 computers do I can compare properties.
    There seems to be "one last" issue.

On v2003: - Runs correctly.
    Button1 on "Frm1Dashboard" calls macro "View Sales Order" which opens the form "FrmOrder" containing the record of most recent sale. The I can then step through previous records.

On v2016: - Not correct.
    Button1 on "Frm1Dashboard" calls macro "View Sales Order" which produces a messagebox:
    "enter Parameter Value ?
    Forms!FrmLead!LeadsLN
    [...]
    [OK] [Cancel]
    Push OK without entering anything and the "FrmOrder" opens, but it has no data until I push [Filtered] at the bottom of the screen. Then the records appear correctly.

How can I navigate in 2016 as with v2003?
    Last edited by stanhilliard; 02-22-2021 at 11:20 AM. Reason: for clarity

VBAX Guru
    Usually that message means that the underlying data requires something that is missing.
    If you are using a query, it is looking for criteria parameter or there is one set in the parameters.

I found the solution. The v2016 had an additional property that V2003 didn't have: "Filter on load"=Yes.
    I changed Yes-->No and now it works correctly.

Thanks to OBP, SamT, Gasman for helping me on this conversion.