Consulting

Thread: Database Duplication

VBAX Contributor
    Database Duplication

Hi

I set up a basic database saved on a network drive at work but for some reason it keeps duplicating itself when saved, does anyone know a reason it would do this please?

I thought it was to do with the compact and repair option on close but i have tried switching that off and still get the duplicates. The duplicates are never the same size as the main DB and always different sizes.

Another thought i had was that some one else maybe opened it whilst it was compacting and repairing which then stopped the duplicate being deleted

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Mykal

VBAX Guru
    Most operating systems do not overwrite the original, but duplicate it and add a value on the end, so it may be that is causing it.

VBAX Contributor
    Hi and thankyou. Is there no way to stop this, i just advise them to delete the smaller versions but getting some stick form the team now. I'm not really that great with access so thought it was something i'd done wrong or a setting i could change

VBAX Guru
    You say "I set up a basic database saved on a network drive at work but for some reason it keeps duplicating itself when saved,"

In what way is it being "saved"?

Access does not require any kind of saving to save any changes made to it, it does so automatically.

VBAX Contributor
    Sorry, this is me just learning Access. I disabled the cross at top right corner to close and added a button to the dashboard to exit but also coded it to create a backup in a separate folder.

When some closes using that button if you are in the folder the main database is in you can see it creates a temp version which slowly increases in size until it matches the actual size of the database then it disappears which i assumed was something to do with the compact and repair. I though the duplications (which are varying sizes) are created if someone then opens the main DB whilst this is happening

The back up in the separate folder works fine