Consulting

Thread: Best way to use lookup to find last value in column of another sheet

VBAX Regular
    Best way to use lookup to find last value in column of another sheet

Using a lookup function to find the last value in a column based on a value in an array where the function is written, I have used the following function:

'=LOOKUP(2,1/($A3&"!F:F">0),$A3&"!F:F")

A3 is the vertically anchored cell I am using that references the sheet name where I want to execute the lookup while column F stores the values that I want the function to return. The result I am receiving is, #VALUE! The question is, is there a better way to execute this procedure without drawing the error. I have attached an example file. Thanks in advance.

Lookup Value.xlsx

- Ben

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    In G2 copied down, try:
    =LOOKUP(2,1/(--NOT(ISBLANK(INDIRECT("'" & $A2 & "'!F1:F9999")))),INDIRECT("'" & $A2 & "'!F1:F9999"))
    this uses NOT(ISBLANK( rather than >0 in case the last value is negative.
    It also limits how many rows are taken into account using F1:F9999 rather than F:F to save on recalculation time; adjust this 9999 to a coverall value that will never be exceeded on those other sheets.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    I use:

PHP Code:
    =INDEX(OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1;6;1;1;A2));;;2^10);MATCH(10^8;OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1;6;1;1;A2));;;2^10);1)) 

VBAX Regular

- Ben