Consulting

Thread: Split Database size is much smaller than before

VBAX Contributor
    Split Database size is much smaller than before

Hi again

I posted last week about some issues with a database i set up at work so trying some things to see if can improve the functionality of the DB.

I have copied and split a database which was previously around 17MB and now the two parts only come to around 6mb, is this normal after splitting?

It is much faster and all of the data seems to be there but the file size difference seems huge.

Mykal

VBAX Guru
    Providing the data is there and accessible this is a good thing.
    I do not have much experience with split databases, but I know that there can be "bloat" in databases which is usually removed during Compacting.
    I have just split 2 databases and in both cases the Front End stayed the same size as the original complete database.
    I then compacted the front end and it reduced from 5784Kb to 1376Kb, the back end is 1064KB.
    However when I compacted a database first it was 3236Kb and then split it, the front end remained at 3236Kb and the back end was 836Kb.
    I then compacted the front end and it reduced to 2824KB, so the total was now 3660Kb, larger than the original compacted database.
    So the question was did you compact it prior to splitting?

VBAX Contributor
    Providing the data is there and accessible this is a good thing.
    I do not have much experience with split databases, but I know that there can be "bloat" in databases which is usually removed during Compacting.
    I have just split 2 databases and in both cases the Front End stayed the same size as the original complete database.
    I then compacted the front end and it reduced from 5784Kb to 1376Kb, the back end is 1064KB.
    However when I compacted a database first it was 3236Kb and then split it, the front end remained at 3236Kb and the back end was 836Kb.
    I then compacted the front end and it reduced to 2824KB, so the total was now 3660Kb, larger than the original compacted database.
    So the question was did you compact it prior to splitting?

Hi again

I didn't compact before I split it, i just copied the original to to a test area and split, it seems to be working fine and everything seems to be there but the size reduction worried me with never having split a database before