Consulting

Thread: error 1004 - VBA Delete column

VBAX Newbie
    error 1004 - VBA Delete column

Hello team,

I'm not good enough with VBA and I would like your assistance to understand the VBA code below that always get an error 1004.
    I have checked and sheet's name is correct, etc. if I add just very few columns, works perfectly.

For example, this code works well:

Sub sbVBS_To_Delete_Specific_Multiple_Columns()
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A,C:C,H:H,K:O,Q:U").EntireColumn.Delete
    End Sub

But If I add many columns as per below, I get the error 1004:

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A,B:B,C:C,E:E,F:F,H:H,J:J,K:K,L:L,M:M,N:N,O:O,Q:Q ,R:R,S:S,T:T,U:U,V:V,W:W,X:X,Y:Y,Z:Z,AA:AA,AB:AB,AC:AC,AD:AD,AE:AE,AF:AF,AG :AG,AH:AH,AI:AI,AK:AK,AL:AL,AN:AN,AO:AO,AP:AP,AQ:AQ,AR:AR,AS:AS,AT:AT,AU:AU ,AV:AV,AW:AW,AX:AX,AY:AY,AZ:AZ,BA:BA,BB:BB,BC:BC,BD:BD,BE:BE,BF:BF,BG:BG,BH :BH,BI:BI,BJ:BJ,BK:BK,BL:BL,BM:BM,BN:BN,BO:BO,BP:BP,BQ:BQ,BR:BR,BS:BS,BT:BT ,BU:BU,BV:BV,BW:BW,BX:BX,BY:BY,BZ:BZ,CA:CA,CB:CB,CD:CD,CE:CE,CF:CF,CG:CG,CH :CH,CI:CI,CJ:CJ,CK:CK,CL:CL,CM:CM,CN:CN,CO:CO,CP:CP,CQ:CQ,CR:CR,CS:CS,CT:CT ,CU:CU,CV:CV,CW:CW,CX:CX").EntireColumn.Delete
    End Sub

I much appreciate if you can assist me.

Thank you in advance.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    It doesn't like the long strings within quote marks to be longer than 255 characters.
    Two things you can do:
    1. Break that string up into shorter lengths and execute multiple statements. To do this most robustly, delete the rightmost columns first because if you delete the left ones first, the right ones change their names! so:
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("BH:BH,BI:BI,BJ:BJ,BK:BK,BL:BL,BM:BM,BN:BN,BO:BO,BP:BP,BQ:BQ,BR:BR,BS:BS,BT:BT,BU:BU,BV:BV,BW:BW,BX:BX,BY:BY,BZ:BZ,CA:CA,CB:CB,CD:CD,CE:CE,CF:CF,CG:CG,CH:CH,CI:CI,CJ:CJ,CK:CK,CL:CL,CM:CM,CN:CN,CO:CO,CP:CP,CQ:CQ,CR:CR,CS:CS,CT:CT,CU:CU,CV:CV,CW:CW,CX:CX").EntireColumn.Delete
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("H:H,J:J,K:K,L:L,M:M,N:N,O:O,Q:Q,R:R,S:S,T:T,U:U,V:V,W:W,X:X,Y:Y,Z:Z,AA:AA,AB:AB,AC:AC,AD:AD,AE:AE,AF:AF,AG:AG,AH:AH,AI:AI,AK:AK,AL:AL,AN:AN,AO:AO,AP:AP,AQ:AQ,AR:AR,AS:AS,AT:AT,AU:AU,AV:AV,AW:AW,AX:AX,AY:AY,AZ:AZ,BA:BA,BB:BB,BC:BC,BD:BD,BE:BE,BF:BF,BG:BG").EntireColumn.Delete
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A,B:B,C:C,E:E,F:F").EntireColumn.Delete
    2. Much easier in this case because you've got lots of columns next to each other that you're deleting, so for example:
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A,B:B,C:C,D:D,E:E,F:F").EntireColumn.Delete
    can be condensed to:
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:F").EntireColumn.Delete
    which means that your sample code can be condensed to:
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:C,E:F,H:H,J:O,Q:AI,AK:AL,AN:CX").EntireColumn.Delete
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Newbie
    Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    It doesn't like the long strings within quote marks to be longer than 255 characters.
    Two things you can do:
    1. Break that string up into shorter lengths and execute multiple statements. To do this most robustly, delete the rightmost columns first because if you delete the left ones first, the right ones change their names! so:
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("BH:BH,BI:BI,BJ:BJ,BK:BK,BL:BL,BM:BM,BN:BN,BO:BO,BP:BP,BQ:BQ,BR:BR,BS:BS,BT:BT,BU:BU,BV:BV,BW:BW,BX:BX,BY:BY,BZ:BZ,CA:CA,CB:CB,CD:CD,CE:CE,CF:CF,CG:CG,CH:CH,CI:CI,CJ:CJ,CK:CK,CL:CL,CM:CM,CN:CN,CO:CO,CP:CP,CQ:CQ,CR:CR,CS:CS,CT:CT,CU:CU,CV:CV,CW:CW,CX:CX").EntireColumn.Delete
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("H:H,J:J,K:K,L:L,M:M,N:N,O:O,Q:Q,R:R,S:S,T:T,U:U,V:V,W:W,X:X,Y:Y,Z:Z,AA:AA,AB:AB,AC:AC,AD:AD,AE:AE,AF:AF,AG:AG,AH:AH,AI:AI,AK:AK,AL:AL,AN:AN,AO:AO,AP:AP,AQ:AQ,AR:AR,AS:AS,AT:AT,AU:AU,AV:AV,AW:AW,AX:AX,AY:AY,AZ:AZ,BA:BA,BB:BB,BC:BC,BD:BD,BE:BE,BF:BF,BG:BG").EntireColumn.Delete
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A,B:B,C:C,E:E,F:F").EntireColumn.Delete
    2. Much easier in this case because you've got lots of columns next to each other that you're deleting, so for example:
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A,B:B,C:C,D:D,E:E,F:F").EntireColumn.Delete
    can be condensed to:
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:F").EntireColumn.Delete
    which means that your sample code can be condensed to:
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:C,E:F,H:H,J:O,Q:AI,AK:AL,AN:CX").EntireColumn.Delete

Thank you very much mate.
    I have solved the problem like this: (using range)

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:B,D:E,G:G,I:N,P:AH,AJ:AK,AM:CA,CC:CU").EntireColu mn.Delete
    End Sub

The rest, in order to automatize the process, I will perform step by step.

Yet another method, which might be easier to maintain
    Sub sbVBS_To_Delete_Specific_Multiple_Columns(ColsToDelete As Variant)
    Dim i as long
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
       For i = Ubound(ColsToDelete) to LBound(ColsToDelete) Step -1 'Delete from Right to left
          .Cells(1, ColsToDelete(i)).EntireColumn.Delete
       Next i
    End With
    Sub DeleteThem_1()
    Dim ColsToDelete As Variant
       ColsToDelete = Array("A", "C", "H", "J", "K", "L","M", "N", "O", "Q", "R", "S", "T", "U")

bVBS_To_Delete_Specific_Multiple_Columns ColsToDelete
    End Sub
    Edit the ColsToDelete array and ...
    Sub DeleteThem_2()
    Dim ColsToDelete As Variant
       ColsToDelete = Array("A", "B", "C", "E", "F", "H", "J", "K", "L", Etc)

bVBS_To_Delete_Specific_Multiple_Columns ColsToDelete
    End Sub
    Use as many Subs DeleteThem_N as needed
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Newbie
    I will try use this in another case that may be better

Tk all for the assistance