Consulting

Thread: editing VBA code

VBAX Regular
    editing VBA code

Hello, I am currently working with a macro that was created by a previous employee and have been trying to make sense of their code as there are no notes left for us to work with. I am currently trying to add in the highlighted columns into the corresponding colors and increase the column range that the macro runs from H to J. Currently it only runs to column H and I want to add in these color coded columns and increase the range to column J as well. I have ran the macro a couple of times and figured out the code will not use the data in columns I and J when inserted.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I believe that this is a true version of your code, (It might have a transposition since I mostly copied and pasted.) All I tried to do was clean out the artifacts left by the Macro Recorder. I think it will be more self explanatory than the original.

Option Explicit

Sub ACM()
        Dim CloseRow As Long, LastRow As Long, AccRow As Long
        Dim Closings As Worksheet, Accruals As Worksheet
        Dim Titell, AccNum, LSNL, Principle, Income, CUSIP   'Represent Headers on Closing Accounts Sheet

Set Closings = Closings
            Set Accruals = Accruals

LastRow = Closings.Cells(Rows.Count, 4).End(xlUp).Row + 1
        CloseRow = 1
        AccRow = 2

With Accruals
            Titell = Right(.Cells(1, "C").Value, 9)          'Titell(sic) To avoid Keywords
            AccNum = Right(.Cells(1, "D").Value, 9)
            LSNL = Right(.Cells(1, "E").Value, 9)
            Principle = Right(.Cells(1, "F").Value, 9)
            Income = Right(.Cells(1, "G").Value, 9)
            CUSIP = Right(.Cells(1, "H").Value, 9)

'Transpose Headers to Column K 'Not really used anywhehere in this version
             .Cells(2, "K").Value = Titell
             .Cells(3, "K").Value = AccNum
             .Cells(4, "K").Value = LSNL
             .Cells(5, "K").Value = Principle
             .Cells(6, "K").Value = Income
             .Cells(7, "K").Value = CUSIP

Do Until CloseRow = LastRow
                   If Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "E").Value = "A1" And (Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "I").Value > 0 And Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "I").Value < 25) Then
                       .Cells(AccRow, "A").Value = Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "D").Value
                       .Cells(AccRow, "I").Value = Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "H").Value

Select Case .Cells(AccRow, "I").Value
                           Case Is = Titell: .Cells(AccRow, "C").Value = Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "I").Value
                           Case Is = AccNum: .Cells(AccRow, "D").Value = Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "I").Value
                           Case Is = LSNL: .Cells(AccRow, "E").Value = Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "I").Value
                           Case Is = Principle: .Cells(AccRow, "F").Value = Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "I").Value
                           Case Is = Income: .Cells(AccRow, "G").Value = Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "I").Value
                           Case Is = CUSIP: .Cells(AccRow, "H").Value = Closings.Cells(CloseRow, "I").Value
                        End Select
                    End If
                    AccRow = AccRow + 1
                    CloseRow = CloseRow + 1
                Loop
            .Range("I:K").Delete
        End With
    End Sub
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Let's see if I've got this right:
    For each row in the ACM Closing Accounts sheet, if the LSNL column is A1 the Total column is >0 and < 25 you want to:
    • copy the Admin: Account Number: (column D) of that sheet to the same headed column (column A) of the ACM Closing Account Accruals sheet
    • put the Total value in the same column of the ACM Closing Account Accruals sheet which has the same last 9 digits of the ACM CUSIP column (column H).

Will there ever be more than one column in the ACM Closing Account Accruals with the same last 9 digits?
    If the answer to that is No then if you prime your ACM Closing Account Accruals sheet, as you are doing now, with its row 1 data, but add in any column you choose in row 1 the exact text ACM CUSIP, the cusip will be added to that column.
    Run this macro instead of yours:
    Sub blah()
    Dim r As Long, LastRow As Long, r2 As Long
    Set DestnSht = Sheets("ACM Closing Account Accruals")
    r2 = 2
    With DestnSht
      Set rngDestnHeaders = Range(.Cells(1), .Cells(1, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft))
      ReDim ColumnMatch(1 To rngDestnHeaders.Columns.Count) As String
      For i = 2 To UBound(ColumnMatch)
        If Len(rngDestnHeaders.Cells(i).Value) > 0 Then ColumnMatch(i) = Right(rngDestnHeaders.Cells(i).Value, 9)
      Next i
      CusipColm = Application.Match("ACM CUSIP", ColumnMatch, 0)
    End With
    With Sheets("ACM Closing Accounts")
      LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, 4).End(xlUp).Row
      r2 = 2
      For r = 2 To LastRow
        If .Cells(r, 9).Value < 25 And .Cells(r, 5).Value = "A1" And .Cells(r, 9).Value > 0 Then    'Total >0, <25 and LSNL = "A1"
          DestnSht.Cells(r2, "A").Value = .Cells(r, "D").Value    'copy admin accnt no.
          DestnSht.Cells(r2, CusipColm).Value = .Cells(r, "H").Value    'copy CUSIP
          colm = Application.Match(CStr(.Cells(r, 8).Value), ColumnMatch, 0)
          If Not IsError(colm) Then
            DestnSht.Cells(r2, colm).Value = .Cells(r, "I").Value    'copy total
          End If
          r2 = r2 + 1
        End If
      Next r
    End With
    End Sub
    and see if it gives you what you want.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular
    I got a "Type mismatch error" when running the new Macro.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBill7 View Post
    I got a "Type mismatch error" when running the new Macro.
    Who are you talking to?
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular
    hey SamT I'm getting an "object variable or With block variable not set" when I run your code. Any idea why that might be?

VBAX Regular

I could get that error if I got this bit wrong:
    Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    but add in any column you choose in row 1 the exact text ACM CUSIP, the cusip will be added to that column.
    p45cal

Click the button at cell K1 of the ACM Closing Accounts sheet of the attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by p45cal; 04-16-2021 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo
    p45cal

hey SamT I'm getting an "object variable or With block variable not set" when I run your code. Any idea why that might be?
    Well it's just your code Refactored. I don't really know what you want, so I just Refactored it to make it easier for you to see what it was already doing. I explained all that in that post. I also explained that I'm not 100% sure I Refactored it correctly.

If I am to troubleshoot what I wrote, I need to know exactly what code you pasted into your workbooks, what other code is still in there and exactly which line the error is Raised on. I can't see your monitor from my desk.

add in the highlighted columns into the corresponding colors and increase the column range that the macro runs from H to J.
    Say What? Details. details, details. We can't read minds. Also; Your code already references Column K, so that doesn't make sense at all.
    Last edited by SamT; 04-16-2021 at 02:52 PM.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Regular
    Thank you for the help guys. The Macro works fine now and we are able to complete the task. I'll mark the thread as solved/