Consulting

Thread: VBA help to stop one code from affecting another

VBAX Newbie
    VBA help to stop one code from affecting another

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Const WS_RANGE As String = "C14" '<== change to suit

On Error GoTo ws_exit
    Application.EnableEvents = False

If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then
    With Target
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="crazyhorse"
    Rows("21:137").Select
    Selection.EntireRow.Hidden = False
    With ActiveSheet
    For i = 21 To 137
    If Cells(i, 3) = "NOT APPLICABLE" Then
    Cells(i, 1).EntireRow.Hidden = True
    End If
    Next
    End With
    Range("C14:E14").Select
    Columns("C:O").Select
    Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
    With ActiveSheet
    For i = 3 To 15
    If Cells(21, i) = "NOT APPLICABLE" Then
    Cells(1, i).EntireColumn.Hidden = True
    End If
    Next
    End With
    Range("C14").Select
    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="crazyhorse"

End With
    End If

ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim fullRange As Range

Set fullRange = Worksheets("DR-976A-English").Range("C21:O74")

For Each cell In fullRange
    If Cell.Value Is > 550 Then
    cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3
    elseif Cell.Value Is < 450 Then
    cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3

Else

cell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone

Next
    End Sub
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello

Second code is effecting the first code

First code works as is and changes the displayed arrays so that data can be entered. This is controlled by a drop down list at cell C14

Second code is to highlight cells less than 450 and greater than 550 red. It works except is causes the first code to stop functioning properly. The first code gets stuck on whatever was selected within cell C14 so that the array displayed is not correct.

For example:
    Dropdown selection IP36 displays a range of C21:H32
    If I try to change to CA84 which is a range of C21:I44 the correct formatting for CA84 appears but only the range C21:H32

Would love some advice!
    Thanks!

Code first without Select. e.g.
    'Rows("21:137").Select
    'Selection.EntireRow.Hidden = False
    Rows("21:137").EntireRow.Hidden = False
    You do not need ActiveSheet either, providing that you use my tip.

Tip: There is no need for Protect/Unprotect unless you want user interaction. For code changes, use this sort of thing in ThisWorbook object:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()  Dim ws As Worksheet
      For Each ws In Worksheets
        ws.Protect "Ken", UserInterfaceOnly:=True
      Next ws End Sub
    Or for just that one worksheet:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()  Dim ws As Worksheet
      Worksheets("DR-976A-English").Protect "crazyhorse", UserInterfaceOnly:=True
    End Sub

There isn't any EnablelEvents code in the second sub. Disabling events in the second will prevent the first sub from triggering.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Newbie

I'm quite new to macros so still getting the hang of things.
    Do you have any suggestions on understanding them?

VBAX Newbie

Still new to macros so I'm getting the hang of things.
    Do you have any suggestions for understanding them better?

Do you have any suggestions for understanding them better?
    First: There's Macros, and then there are Procedures.

Macros are recorded by the Macro Recorder and include everything, used or not.

Procedures are written by VBA Programmers and only use what is necessary. also Functions are Procedures, and the Macro Recorder can't do Functions.

As Kenneth implied, Macros can be edited into Procedures.

Macros really require no learning, except to practice what you want to do, so that, when you record the Macro you make no false moves.

Study Code here and on our KnowledgeBase page to see real Procedures in action.

IMO, the VBIDE in Office 2000 to Office 2003 is the best since it has builtin Help and you won't have to spend bandwidth browsing the internet. EBay sells OEM CDs for ~$10 US. Install the early Office and fully update it before installing any later versions. I believe that all versions have the DLL explorer (F2) that is very handy for seeing what is available to your code.

With any version, go to the VBA Menu Tools >> Options >> Editor tab and check everything in the "Code Settings" Frame. On the General Tab, check whatever strikes your fancy, but at least "Error Trapping":=Break on Unhandled Errors, and "Compiile":=Both boxes.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

1. Go beyond the macro recorder. IF you can record, you are ready for this step. http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vb...rder/index.htm

2. Be organized and make comments in code. I like to comment were I copied code from or got the idea from. For the organized part, I put gems of code into a file and save it to a folder with a category. e.g.
    PDFs folder name would have examples of ways to make pdfs. Email\Outlook would have outlook code examples.
    a. For some snippets of code, I create a Module in my personal workbook and rename the module say mPDF, mOutlook, etc. Your personal workbook is created after you record your first macro. You can add more of these hidden workbooks but fewer is usually better. I do back mine up every so often as hard drives will fail at some point.
    b. Practice structured coding concepts. What I mean is to indent (tab). I set my VBE options to indent 2 spaces, not 4. We keep that structure when we post code. We use html code tags in this forum. In this one, click the # icon on reply toolbar to insert the tags. e.g.
    Sub Test()  
    Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To 10 Step 2
        Select Case i
          Case 1
            Debug.Print "Case 1"
          Case 2
            Debug.Print "Case 2"
          Case 3
            Debug.Print "Case 3"
          Case Else
            Debug.Print i
        End Select
      Next i
    End Sub
    c. Always use Option Explicit at top of Modules and such. With the option set in the VBE (Visual Basic Editor), this requires you to Dim all variables. This also keeps your variable capitalization consistent.

3. Helping others helps you learn more. Try to participate in the forum and respond with your proposed solution. If others do it different than you, copy their solution and next time, you can build on that knowledge. Even if you do not post your solution, you can follow the threads of interest. IF you did (2) then just copy the link and post it to solve the same type of problem Howsoever, if you do and the link is from another forum, it is best to also include the code so that the solution stays in this forum. I only post a few links like the one in (1).

4. The kb can be found at: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/default.php

5. In the VBE View menu, select Immediate Window. This lets you view the result of a Debug.Print line. I like to use it direct for quick test. e.g. ?1+1
    The question mark is like Debug.Print 1+1
    That and Msgbox are two easy ways to debug a code. There are more advanced debugging methods. For one example, to debug code line by line, put cursor in a Sub and press F8 and each line after F8 presses will execute.
    a. Always Debug > Compile, before you Run code. This checks for syntax errors. I put that on the VBE menubar since I use it so often. Right click the menubar and Customize. Then drag and drop the options you use most often to the menubar if not there already.