Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pushbutton and countif/deletes

VBAX Regular
    pushbutton and countif/deletes

Hello

I may be asking for a bit much. I've been working with some man made macros and was wondering if there's something i can do in VBA that can make life a little easier.

Attached is my spreadsheet Stats Sheet.xlsm

Tab 1 has the info we are provided by another team - currently we paste it in, strip the formatting, split the outlets in row b into singular rows so it's easier to count.
    Tab 2 has a breakdown of all the media outlets that we get queries from - i have a basic countif formula counting each one separately. I did try to nest it, but ran into issues when it was counting the various ways some words are used to mean the same thing ie the word "Clyde" as it would be written multiple ways. The wildcard search caused issues elsewhere, as there are outlets like evening express, and daily express, and in the nest it would count both of those as both so it would mess with the count.
    Tab 3 is the tally of all the media

I crudely recorded a couple of Macros. One to strip formatting, one to split column B using text to column thing and I've been looking at a delete macro for each media outlet.

I want to create a button that will run multiple macros one after the other, maybe with a short break. So run clear formatting, pause for a second, run split data, pause for a second. I've only managed to get a button to run one macro.
    I was also wondering if i could use code that replicates the count done on tab 2 = so that it just appears in the table on the Tally based on the way the outlets are set out on Breakdown.
    Finally i was wondering if there was code finds all the words that sit on the breakdown tab and removes it from row B - F which would be ran separately at end - this will allow us to identify and add new outlets as we go until we get to the stage where everything is captured within the keywords on the Breakdown tab.

and a bonus - i was wondering if there was a way to count how many rows after each heading in CAPS - the numbers of rows vary between each subject so a simple count doesn't seem to work.
    I don't know enough to write a formula that finds the word COMMUNITIES, counts how many rows have text and stops counting when it reaches EXTERNAL AFFAIRS the repeat the same for each topic. The number of media logged against each query will change on a daily basis so my regular count's don't work and have been doing it manually.

Thank you so much for your time

I want to create a button that will run multiple macros one after the other,
    Option Explicit 'At top of code page. Requires all Variable to be Explicitly Declared, finds typos.

Sub Button_Click()
    Dim Calc As Variant

With Application 'Speed up Code
       .ScreenUpdating = False
        Calc = .Calculation 'Save Default setting
       .Calculation = xlCalculationManual 'Stop auto calculation
    End with

Sheets("Paste Data").Activate 'Needed because you don't specify a sheet in the Macros
       Strip_formatting 'Run one macro
       DoEvents 'Wait a bit
       Splits_Media 'Run the next Macro
       DoEvents

Sheets("Tally").Activate

With Application
       .ScreenUpdating = True
       .Calculate 'Solve all formulas
       .Calculation = Calc 'reset to default
    End with
    End sub
    use code that replicates the count done on tab 2
    Yes, but it would take a lot of work and would be harder to maintain and modify than what you are already using. I think your current system is pretty good. I only see a couple of "Personal Preference" edits I would make. "The only good system is a system you understand."

To include sheet references in Macros, start recording the Macro on a sheet that you are not working on, then immediately select the proper sheet. Practice your actions (on a copied sheet) before recording a Macro so you don't include unnecessary actions in the Macro.
    Last edited by SamT; 05-17-2021 at 04:58 PM.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Sage

Below is just sample / suggestions / guess since your sample WB looks like it's already had the macros run on it. Also it wasn't clear which WS was being processed

Also, I didn't understand the 'bonus question'

Plus

1. Don't use 'Selection' in a macro - use the specific object(s)

2. Always specify the Worksheet - never assume that the one you think is active will still be active after the users get involved

3. Main() chains the macros together

Option Explicit

Sub Main()
        Strip_formatting
        Splits_Media
        Paste_as_value
        Format_all
        Delete_Some
    End Sub

Sub Strip_formatting()
    '
    ' Strip_formatting Macro
    ' strips all formatting
    '
    ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+A
    '
        With Worksheets("Paste Data").Cells.Interior
            .Pattern = xlNone
            .TintAndShade = 0
            .PatternTintAndShade = 0
        End With
    End Sub

Sub Splits_Media()
    '
    ' Splits_Media Macro
    ' Splits Media into other cells for ease of counting
    '
    ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+B
    '
        Worksheets("Breakdown").Columns("B:B").TextToColumns _
            Destination:=Range("B1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
            TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, _
            Semicolon:=True, Comma:=True, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:= _
            Array(1, 1), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True
    End Sub

Sub Paste_as_value()
    '
    ' Paste_as_value Macro
    '
    ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+C
    '
        With Worksheets("Paste Data")
            .Columns("B:B").Copy
            .Range("D1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteAllUsingSourceTheme, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
            .Range("D1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
        End With
    End Sub

Sub Format_all()
    '
    ' Format_all Macro
    ' formats to readable
    '
    ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+E
    '
        With Worksheets("Paste Data")
            With .Cells
                .HorizontalAlignment = xlGeneral
                .VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
                .WrapText = False
                .Orientation = 0
                .AddIndent = False
                .IndentLevel = 0
                .ShrinkToFit = False
                .ReadingOrder = xlContext
                .MergeCells = False
            End With

.Columns("A:A").EntireColumn.AutoFit
            .Columns("B:B").EntireColumn.AutoFit
        End With
    End Sub

Sub Delete_Some()
    '
    ' Delete_BBC Macro
    ' delete bbc
    '
    ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+G
    '
        'don't replace with spaces
        With Worksheets("Breakdown")
            .Columns("B:B").Replace What:="BBC", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
                ReplaceFormat:=False

.Cells.Replace What:="ITV", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
            .Cells.Replace What:="STV", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
            .Cells.Replace What:="GMB", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
        End With
    End Sub

For a better answer here, attach a small WB with the raw (unprocessed) data, and an example of where you think you want to go.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Regular
    Thank you both for your help! this is very useful.

The paste data worksheet is the one where we put the data we will be working with. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by it was unclear which ws was being processed?
    The last tab is where i want the data to end up into that nice little table.

For the bonus question. If you look at Paste Data tab Stats Sheet.xlsx (hopefully that's macro free - not enough coffee's yet)

The data is sent to us in the following format:

COMMUNITIES
    Query 1 BBC, ITV, STV
    Query 2 Daily Mail, Sunday Post
    Query 3 Local Mag, other site
    CONSTITUTION
    Query 1 BBC, ITV; STV

Using the workbook i am able to find out how many media queries there are overall, but i also want to know how many queries there are per topic. So essentially i'd want my spreadsheet to count that there are 3 queries under communities, then multiply that by the number of media outlets so 3x7.

I'd want the count to start counting at 1 row after COMMUNITIES (Query 1) and stop counting when it hits CONSTITUTION - then start counting how many are under the next subject.

The number of rows beneath each subject changes on a daily basis, so any counts i do need to be adjusted, i tried setting a certain number of rows per subject but someday even the number of queries outnumber the rows i set. It's been hurting my head so I've just manually counted those.

I am assuming that there are a fixed number of Topics/Subjects that you track, and, that the number of Topics/Subjects you receive reports on changes each day.

What Paul and I are interested in seeing is the Raw Data that you receive before you format/adjust it to appear as it does on your attachment in sheet Paste Data. We are trying to understand your "Domain."

Of the Domain Knowledge we don't know, but might be helpful, is a complete list of Topics/Subjects and a cross reference listing of Full and Short names of the Media Outlets you watch. These two lists can be on a single Worksheet.

Example:
    Topics/Subjects Media Short Name Media Full Name
    COMMUNITIES AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT ? ?
    EXTERNAL AFFAIRS ? ?
    DEPUTY FIRST MINISTER AND EDUCATION ? ?
    ECONOMY, FAIR WORK & CULTURE Falklands Radio Falklands Radio ?
    ENVIRONMENT, CLIMATE CHANGE & ENERGY 106 Original 106 ?
    FINANCE Times Radio Times Radio ?
    Etc Clyde Radio Clyde ?
    Etc Clyde Clyde 1 ?

I also strongly suggest that you change the Names "Clyde" on your Report sheet so they are different somehow. Using identical Names for different things can really screw stuff up.

how many queries there are per topic
    That's actually a nontrivial Procedure with the current data. One reason to have more Domain Knowledge.

VBAX Regular
    Ah i completely misunderstood. So we get the data in as a table in a email at the end of the day. I've attached a word doc showing how we receive the data. We get it in this exact format only in an email. I've not attached the email due to the other information contained in it.

Theres's conditional formatting that's pulled from their google sheet, that's why there's rows of grey, purple red, but they have no relevance to what i'm doing. that's why i clear the formatting to start.

raw data.docx

There are 14 topics. so they are all the ones in bold caps - COMMUNITIES and LOCAL GOVERMENT, BREXIT, CONSTITUTION, HEALTH, LEVELS etc, these headers never change. but the number of queries relating to that header will change, and sometimes more than one outlet ask the same question about the same topic that someone else has.

The current full list of media/outlets is the work done on the second tab. As part of the working out how to count we have simply been adding to the list as we discover new outlets. I'm assuming (maybe blindly) that if a code is set up to look for 50 words, its easy enough to add a new word to that list. Similar to how i just copy and pasted the formula and changed the word.

There are multiple instances for Clyde because of how folk enter the data - i don't control that - yet. I'm trying get them to use a uniform approach but the sheet is populated by a team of 20 so it's difficult to get that message across. . So "Clyde" "* Clyde*" and "Clyde 1" are all the same thing, but when i used the countif, the wildcard wouldn't pick up the Clyde One entry and picked up different outlets. As another example - the Sun is similar to Clyde. If i had wildcard on the count if for Sun - the formula picked up the Sunday post, mail on sunday etc. So i was setting a new formula for every outlet as it appeared in the raw data we get, but it would also ignore Sun if it had a space in front of the word before the cell. It got annoying. So i just used a new search for each thing to make sure it picked up exactly what i wanted - then just added that to the sum that populated the end data.

Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    I am assuming that there are a fixed number of Topics/Subjects that you track, and, that the number of Topics/Subjects you receive reports on changes each day.

What Paul and I are interested in seeing is the Raw Data that you receive before you format/adjust it to appear as it does on your attachment in sheet Paste Data. We are trying to understand your "Domain."

Of the Domain Knowledge we don't know, but might be helpful, is a complete list of Topics/Subjects and a cross reference listing of Full and Short names of the Media Outlets you watch. These two lists can be on a single Worksheet.

Example:
    Topics/Subjects Media Short Name Media Full Name
    COMMUNITIES AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT ? ?
    EXTERNAL AFFAIRS ? ?
    DEPUTY FIRST MINISTER AND EDUCATION ? ?
    ECONOMY, FAIR WORK & CULTURE Falklands Radio Falklands Radio ?
    ENVIRONMENT, CLIMATE CHANGE & ENERGY 106 Original 106 ?
    FINANCE Times Radio Times Radio ?
    Etc Clyde Radio Clyde ?
    Etc Clyde Clyde 1 ?

I also strongly suggest that you change the Names "Clyde" on your Report sheet so they are different somehow. Using identical Names for different things can really screw stuff up.

That's actually a nontrivial Procedure with the current data. One reason to have more Domain Knowledge.

VBAX Sage
    1. Do you care about the 14 BOLD CAPS gray categories in Col A? You don't appear to use them

2. Do you care about the topics below the 14 BOLD CAPS gray categories in Col A? You don't appear to use them either

3. In your other sheets there's trailing spaces that will mess up matching

I think it's always a good idea to separate the data layer from the computation layer from the presentation layer

4. This is the Word data, and I split the multiple entries; I used different columns and the data must be cleaned to be consistent (same spelling, no extra spaces, etc.)

Another approach would be to add the category and media after splitting at the bottom

I'd envision a constantly updating macro as unhandled media is encountered and to do the formatting and standardization

Capture.jpg

5. Simple CountIf() using the media name (again, must be consistent) and manually maintained: new Category and Media entered, old ones deleted

Capture1.JPG

Glasglow Times in 16 and 17 are not consistent since there's some trailing spaces

6. Simple pivot table to present the data ( you can add all the embellishments your want)
    Attachment 28494
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 05-18-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

I see... You have designed the workbook from a reader's POV. I am trying to redesign it from a Programmers POV.

The difference is that for a reader, words have meanings and carry weight. For a Programmer Words are just Strings and have zero meaning in and of themselves. We Treat "BBC," "New York Times," and "pub001" the same... Except difficulties.

I'll get back to you.

VBAX Regular
    Paul that looks much cleaner than what i have atm! I can't see the pivot table attachment. It just said the link is invalid.

as for your first question that is in relation to the bonus question.

I do want to count how many queries are asked. per subject and multiply that by the number of media queries. But as i couldn't figure out a basic formula to start counting between the subject headers as the number of rows between them varied.

I had fiddled about with a find COMMUNITIES, count from the row below that, and stop counting once you hit BREXIT. Then start the count one row after BREXIT and count until you hit the next topic that was in caps, but i failed miserably. so i've left that off my sheet.

You and Sam are amazing for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    1. Do you care about the 14 BOLD CAPS gray categories in Col A? You don't appear to use them

2. Do you care about the topics below the 14 BOLD CAPS gray categories in Col A? You don't appear to use them either

3. In your other sheets there's trailing spaces that will mess up matching

I think it's always a good idea to separate the data layer from the computation layer from the presentation layer

4. This is the Word data, and I split the multiple entries; I used different columns and the data must be cleaned to be consistent (same spelling, no extra spaces, etc.)

Another approach would be to add the category and media after splitting at the bottom

I'd envision a constantly updating macro as unhandled media is encountered and to do the formatting and standardization

Capture.jpg

5. Simple CountIf() using the media name (again, must be consistent) and manually maintained: new Category and Media entered, old ones deleted

Capture1.JPG

Glasglow Times in 16 and 17 are not consistent since there's some trailing spaces

6. Simple pivot table to present the data ( you can add all the embellishments your want)
    Attachment 28494

VBAX Sage

Here it is

If it were me, I'd

1. Copy/Paste the email data into a WS
    2. Run a macro to handle the media (? terminology correct??) entries in Col B
    Clean data (trim, UC, standardize where possible, etc.)
    Split into each entry where applicable ("STV and That's TV" --> "STV" and "That's TV")
    Either stack the entries in Col B or add to Col C, D, E, ...
    Have a final 'format' pass to handle special cases

NB - If the Media in Col B of second screen shot was correct, that'd make it easier.
    Anything NOT handled could be marked to manual tweaking and possible incorporation into the macro

3. Pivot tables are very handy
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 05-19-2021 at 06:59 AM.

Paul

2. Upload an example

VBAX Regular
    That actually looks amazing. It does everything I'm looking for. Also seems to be much easier than faffing about with my million count if's and it didn't even dawn on me to standardise everything instead of adding finds to take into account the inconsistences.

VBAX Sage
    That'll be the challenging part usually

If you provide an (extensive) sample of the types of raw data you get, I'll try to do something to get you started at least

1. Examples of the raw data, creative spellings, multiple entries, weird punctuation (I saw a semicolon), etc.

2. A 'database' with the Category and the Media to group the counts

Paul

2. Upload an example

VBAX Regular
    I've uploaded both - no idea what happened with the formatting, it seems some of the data we get is set on A3 spreadsheets, or landscape but it gives you an idea of what we are playing with.

The database is pretty much as up to date as it was on the original spreadsheet. But i've attached it with the categories I'd like to be counted. There will be loads more to add, I'm going back through about 6 months of data then everything going forward, so it will be a never ending list i'd imagine.

I added an AKA column onto the media spreadsheet with the weird stuff, the most common is the leading space before a word.

List of data.xlsxsample data.docx

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    That'll be the challenging part usually

If you provide an (extensive) sample of the types of raw data you get, I'll try to do something to get you started at least

1. Examples of the raw data, creative spellings, multiple entries, weird punctuation (I saw a semicolon), etc.

2. A 'database' with the Category and the Media to group the counts

VBAX Sage

1. WS 'WordDocument' is a paste of the input data and then some cleanup format

2. WS 'Translation' is sort of a From-To database

3.WS 'Categories' is a database that maps Media Outlet to reporting category

4. WS 'MediaFromWordDocument" is the core WS built from the Word data

5. WS 'Tally' has the counts for the categories, AND 23 that could not be categorized (no translation #2, no assigned Category #3, something else

Step 1 - Copy Word Doc and format it

Step 2 - Clean up the data, trim, remove double spaces, replace some with ~ to split

Step 3 - Split Step 2, if multiple Media Outlets in one cell, add 2nd, etc at bottom of list

Step 4 - Check each cell from Step 3 and use 'Translation' WS to change if necessary

Step 5 - Use Media Outlet from Step 4 and lookup Category from WS 'Categories'

Blank Category means translation failed, input wrong, no category, etc.

I expect there'll be some more special rules. I dropped leading 'The ' for consistency

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

I decided to use some worksheet formulas to reflect data cleanup immediately

I guessed (badly) as some parameters for the Media that weren't in the mapping. So look at the orange cells in Translation and Categories to correct

Finally, more rules can be added, e.g. "Ignore 'on Sunday' or 'Online'" and just use the base part
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 05-19-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Paul

2. Upload an example

VBAX Regular
    That actually looks like what I'm trying to achieve.

You were close with the outlets and spot on with the translations. i think unless you deal with the outlets on a regular basis it's definitely not easy to recognise what's a local and not.

Media_3 (2).xlsm

Leading The and Sunday and Online to be ignored is fine. i those words and the random , ; and space are the only things that should appear in front of the media outlets.

I assume, as i discover more outlets - it will be easy enough to add in more?

VBAX Sage

Example

I added 2 outlets to the Word Import (red), one multiple with a translation established, and one without

I added a Translation for the multiple, all 3 to one category

I added the category above to Categories

Look at the red cells and you'll see

Paul

2. Upload an example

VBAX Regular

I threw a an example in and i encountered an error when i hit the button - it says variable not defined and highlights the first =x1ReplaceFormula2 on the replace some punctuation with tilda section.

did i do something daft?

VBAX Sage
    I think it was a Excel version difference where I used a parameter that was only recently added

There's a couple of such that I am aware of, but I think I just learned a new one

Try ver 4a and see

Paul

2. Upload an example

VBAX Regular

We are using different versions of excel could that be a reason? I'm forced to use 2016 at work

VBAX Sage

Try ver 4b

Paul

2. Upload an example