Consulting

Thread: Solved: Is It "Round" or "Application.Round"??

Solved: Is It "Round" or "Application.Round"??

I was just modifying some old code and I noticed that some of the macros I had used "Round" and others I had used "Application.Round". Both forms seem to work OK. Is there some subtle difference between the two?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    They use different rounding algorithms, which you should undedrstand if using them. See

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=194983
    PRB: Round Function different in VBA 6 and Excel Spreadsheet

VBAX Expert

[VBA]Debug.Print Round(x, 2)[/VBA]

that is the VB/VBA function Round, which uses banker's rounding. If you see:

[VBA]Debug.Print Application.Round(x, 2)
    Debug.Print Application.WorksheetFunction.Round(x, 2)[/VBA]

you are using the Excel ROUND function, which always rounds up if the digit you're checking is >= 5.

Patrick

FYI, Round is not supported in Excel 97, although the worksheetfunction version is if called upon in VBA.

Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

xld, that is a GREAT reference on rounding. And it referred to an even better one. Arrrgh! Now I know why I used the spreadsheet Round. The Banker's round is an interesting technique, which I personally would never have a use for. However, in my youth as an engineer, I can look back and recall instances in which the Banker's round would have been more appropriate than the arithmetic round. Thanks to all of you for the informative response!

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    On deposits they round down, on borrowing they round up. Or have I got it wrong?
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'