I edit scientific papers in Word, where strings like this often occur: "...procedure. In this study, we found that alimentary tract infections..." In this example, I'd want to delete everything from "In" to "alimentary", and capitalize its first letter. The result would be "...procedure. Alimentary tract infections...".

To accomplish this, I'm trying to have a macro begin by selecting everything from the insertion point back to the previous period and space (i.e., end of the previous sentence). I'll then have the macro move right a tad, delete the selection, and do the capping. But to select the text, I'm trying to use Search to find the preceding period/space, and select the intervening text as well.

I seem to remember from years ago that you could use Search to select all traversed characters up to a search string, but that doesn't seem to work now.

I've tried just moving the insertion point to the sentence end by using Search, but I've no idea how to select from there to, in this case, the first letter of "alimentary".

Is there a way to select traversed characters in VBA? Or should I use another method?

I'm using Word 2007, Win10, and VG 6.5.