Consulting

Thread: ODBC Refresh Connection String Error in VBA / Run Time Error 1004

Exclamation ODBC Refresh Connection String Error in VBA / Run Time Error 1004

I am having troubles with a VBA macro that used to run great before but now it suddenly stop working for one of my files. The macro objective is to update the ODBC Query connection string based on different parameters inputted on several cells.
    I used the debug function to find the problem. It looks like the problem originates at the "With" statement. The error windows shows: "Application-defined or object-defined error"
    Attached you will find the code.

Sub updateCnnStr() 
    'Variables for workbook and connection 
    Dim wb As Workbook 
    Dim odbc As WorkbookConnection
    'Set workbook variable as ThisWorkbook 
    Set wb = ThisWorkbook
    'For each connection string, change DSN, Description, and Database 
    For Each odbc In wb.Connections
    With odbc.ODBCConnection 
    .Connection = _ "ODBC;DSN=" & wb.Worksheets(1).Range("DSN") & ";Description=" & wb.Worksheets(1).Range("Description") & ";UID=lopezro2;APP=Microsoft Office 2016;WSID=US-CCR1-L08;DATABASE=" & wb.Worksheets(1).Range("Database")
    End With 
    Next
    End Sub
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 08-03-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Does it work if you create that same connection manually?
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Yep! This is how the connection string looks like on the Connection Properties-> Connection String:
    DSN=AMTECHUSA;Description=AMTECHUSA;UID=lopezro2;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP =Microsoft Office 2016;WSID=US-CCR1-L08;DATABASE=SKNA_NG

In this case I am changing the DSN, Description and Database in order to be able to retrieve info from different servers and different databases.

Any thoughts?

The macro is using range names, the error message you state happens if there is an issue with any of those range names.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

just maybe:
    Sub updateCnnStr()'Variables for workbook and connection
    Dim wb As Workbook
    'Dim odbc As WorkbookConnection
    Dim odbc As ODBCConnection
    'Set workbook variable as ThisWorkbook
    Set wb = ThisWorkbook
    'For each connection string, change DSN, Description, and Database
    For Each odbc In wb.Connections
    odbc.Connection = "ODBC;DSN=" & wb.Worksheets(1).Range("DSN") & ";Description=" & wb.Worksheets(1).Range("Description") & ";UID=lopezro2;APP=Microsoft Office 2016;WSID=US-CCR1-L08;DATABASE=" & wb.Worksheets(1).Range("Database")

Next
    End Sub