Consulting

Thread: Bulk rename based on contents in document

VBAX Regular
    Bulk rename based on contents in document

Hi there,

I have a set of 50 documents in a folder on my desktop with the following naming scheme:

50000.docx
    50001.docx
    50002.docx
    50050.docx

I am trying to do a bulk rename of these documents based on contents stored within specific textboxes.

I can do this one at a time with the below code; however, it is quite a laborious process.

Sub FileSaveAs()
    Dim StrNm As String
    With ActiveDocument
    StrNm = .Shapes(4).TextFrame.TextRange.Text & " " & .Shapes(36).TextFrame.TextRange.Text
    With Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs)
    .Name = StrNm
    .Show
    End With
    End With
    End Sub

There are two complications here:

1) Not all of these word documents are actually word documents, and so the code must be able to move onto the next document if the Documents.Open function fails, and
    2) Not all of the documents have textboxes from which there is data to extract

In both instances, the name of the file can remain the same.

I'm hoping 50000.docx can be renamed to the contents of 'Shape(4)' & 'Shape(36)'.docx in each document that is 1) able to be opened, and 2) where these shapes exist

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    enjam

VBAX Contributor
    The numbering of Shapes in Word is almost random in edited documents; to me, it is unpredictable. Named bookmarks are much more predictable as are xml nodes.
    See Document Batch Processes by Graham Mayor, MVP and Batch Folder Process Add-In by Greg Maxey once you get your error handling down.

VBAX Regular
    Thanks Chas, I'll approach this problem slightly differently and post an alternative thread in the Excel section of this forum.