Consulting

Thread: why is my 'find and replace' function automatically set to look in formulas?

VBAX Regular
    why is my 'find and replace' function automatically set to look in formulas?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help. I use the 'find and replace' function a lot in excel in my new job but when I click on 'ctrl F' to open this function up, the part that says 'look in' is set to 'formulas'. This drove me crazy yesterday as I was validating data in a file and trying to search for unique identifiers but it kept saying the values were not in there when I knew it 100% was. Eventually I realised that it was due to the fact that the 'look in' was set to 'formulas' instead of 'values'. I have never experienced this problem before with excel- how can I change it to values and maintain that moving forward? It keeps reverting back.

I found a picture of what I am referring to on google. The 'look in' part needs changing to always say 'values':

Thanks

No idea how you got to there by what happens if you select 'Delete Find What format' from the dropdown of 'Format...' ? does it definitely clear the current settings ? or is it grayed out ?
    Which version of MS Office are you using ?
    Last edited by rollis13; 08-26-2021 at 07:51 AM.

how can I change it to values and maintain that moving forward?
    Unfortunately, you can't. At least not permanently. If you change the setting xl will remember it, but the next time you open xl, it will be back to the default settings

VBAX Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rollis13 View Post
    No idea how you got to there by what happens if you select 'Delete Find What format' from the dropdown of 'Format...' ? does it definitely clear the current settings ? or is it grayed out ?
    Which version of MS Office are you using ?
    the box is greyed out. My version of excel is office 365 16.0.12527.21962.

VBAX Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    Unfortunately, you can't. At least not permanently. If you change the setting xl will remember it, but the next time you open xl, it will be back to the default settings
    Really? This is so odd. I've never had this problem before in previous jobs- why has it occurred all of a sudden on this laptop?

It has always been like that.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray707 View Post
    Really? This is so odd. I've never had this problem before in previous jobs- why has it occurred all of a sudden on this laptop?
    I'm not going to be authoritative on this, but I think it's always been like this; when you have it set to look in formulas, if a cell doesn't have a formula it will still search what's in that cell, because what's in the cell is the cell's formula even if it isn't an actual formula.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular

Thanks anyway guys!

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Is your file using macros? If so you can make sure that setting is set to what you want, either on opening the workbook or activating the relevant sheet. Come back if you want to know how.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular
    The problem is the setting seems to be permanently set to formulas so I would have to implement this macro in every new file I create moving forward which is a hassle. I wish there was an option to simply set to values permanently.

I think the easier option will be to try and remember to set to values when I first open an excel file but I use excel so much this will be impossible to remember every time