Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Create VBA add-in

Administrator
    Chat VP
    ??I'm not entirely sure of what type of add-in is being discussed here as the discussion has ranged from VBA to VB and dll files etc.??

If you're interested in VB and don't already have this, click the link below to download a free 'envelop' VB compiler that allows you to create your own stand-alone projects. (if that's what you mean)
    As it also includes a packager, you can package the project, have links to XL (or the reverse) etc.

http://www.freebyte.com/programming/...s/envelop.html

Regards, John...

VBAX Regular
    ??I'm not entirely sure of what type of add-in is being discussed here as the discussion has ranged from VBA to VB and dll files etc.??
    I believe Zack is referring to COM Add-ins, not regular Excel add-ins.

Excel Add-ins (.xla files) are just normal Excel workbooks that a) are invisible and b) can be set to load automatically when installed through the Tools, Add-ins menu item.

As Denis mentioned, COM add-ins (which are DLL files) can only be created in Excel Developer edition, or another language capable of creating COM components e.g. Visual Basic 6, Visual Basic .NET, Office Developer Edition, Visual C++.

Does that help the confusion?

Dan

Administrator
    .....As Denis mentioned, COM add-ins (which are DLL files) can only be created in Excel Developer edition, or another language capable of creating COM components e.g. Visual Basic 6, Visual Basic .NET, Office Developer Edition, Visual C++.

Does that help the confusion?

Dan
    I think so...in other words it seems that what is being discussed is "addins" in the form of additional controls that can be added into a project - (as these are usually in the form *.dll or *.ocx files).

I only have '97 on board and in all the help files etc in there the only "addins" mentioned in '97 appear to be almost defined as being of the form .xla.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, as I realize that later versions of office can very well refer to additional controls simply as "addins" it's just that it was confusing me.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    That's the spot Dan! That is what I'm talking about. Although, in regards to John's comments, I found the Excel help files pretty much devoid of anything regarding this. There are some good links to the MS KB, MSDN Library and of course Dennis' site (extremely informative).

If anyone wants a good example of an addin that I'm talking about, go to Mark007's website and view his list of VBA add-ins. His Code Indenter was my inspiration for this thread. I'd just like to be able to use that type of functionality.

VBAX Regular
    I think so...in other words it seems that what is being discussed is "addins" in the form of additional controls that can be added into a project - (as these are usually in the form *.dll or *.ocx files).

I only have '97 on board and in all the help files etc in there the only "addins" mentioned in '97 appear to be almost defined as being of the form .xla.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, as I realize that later versions of office can very well refer to additional controls simply as "addins" it's just that it was confusing me.
    No that's not the case, although I now understand your confusion

COM Add-ins weren't introduced until Excel 2000, which would explain why you see no reference to them in your help files. There hasn't been a change of terminology in more recent versions of Excel e.g. Additional controls are still called exactly the same, add-ins are still add-ins, COM Add-ins are COM Add-ins....you get the idea.

Hope this helps,
    Dan

Administrator
    No that's not the case, although I now understand your confusion

COM Add-ins weren't introduced until Excel 2000, which would explain why you see no reference to them in your help files. There hasn't been a change of terminology in more recent versions of Excel e.g. Additional controls are still called exactly the same, add-ins are still add-ins, COM Add-ins are COM Add-ins....you get the idea.

Hope this helps,
    Dan
    COOL!! I got it now - Thanx so much for clearing that up for me.