Consulting

Thread: Basic VBA for removing rows/columns in word tables?

VBAX Newbie
    Question Basic VBA for removing rows/columns in word tables?

Hi all,

I've got a piece of software that exports a translation document to a bunch of tables in a word document. I need to (from the screenshot)remove the first two tables, in the third table I need to remove the top row, then the first cell in the second row. In the final table I need to remove the first three columns. Then I'd need to loop the macro to run again for the next set of tables.

screenshot.jpg

I'm assuming this is all fairly simple if I just leverage the column or table headers. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? Thanks a bunch

What you request could be fairly simple. The problems however lie with your statement "Then I'd need to loop the macro to run again for the next set of tables." and the content of the last cell in table 3.
    Do we assume that there are several blocks of four tables in the same document, each to be treated similarly?
    If the following, which assumes there may be blocks of 4, but cannot identify the content of the cell in table 3, doesn't work for you, post a link to a sample document.

Sub Macro1()
    'Graham Mayor - https://www.gmayor.com - Last updated - 21 Oct 2021
    Dim oTable As Table
    Dim i As Long, j As Long
        If Not ActiveDocument.Tables.Count Mod 4 = 0 Then
            MsgBox "The document has tables that are not in groups of 4", vbCritical
            Exit Sub
        End If
        For i = ActiveDocument.Tables.Count To 1 Step -4
            Set oTable = ActiveDocument.Tables(i)
            For j = 3 To 1 Step -1
                oTable.Columns(j).Delete
            Next j
            Set oTable = ActiveDocument.Tables(i - 1)
            oTable.Rows(1).Delete
            oTable.Columns(1).Delete
            ActiveDocument.Tables(i - 3).Delete
            ActiveDocument.Tables(i - 3).Delete
        Next i
    lbl_Exit:
        Set oTable = Nothing
        Exit Sub
    End Sub
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

VBAX Newbie
    Yes! My apologies, Graham! The document is an export of an exam, which has about 85 questions in it. Each question has this table layout. Which is why it would need to repeat. I'm sorry- I should have been more clear on that point. I'll give this a go and post a sample up which would help further, I'm sure!