Consulting

Thread: Access program cannot be opened by clicking database name

Access program cannot be opened by clicking database name

This problem just popped up at a customer today. They've been using MS Access for 20 years. They are on Access 2019. As of today, they cannot open an Access database by clicking on the database. Windows does not recognize a *.accdb file as a database. To run their programs they must first open MS Access, then open the database from Access.
    Does anyone recognize what this problem is? Or is the new normal?

maybe the Association of .accdb extension has been changed.
    or a Windows Update has been applied that caused this change.

VBAX Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DBinPhilly View Post
    This problem just popped up at a customer today. They've been using MS Access for 20 years. They are on Access 2019. As of today, they cannot open an Access database by clicking on the database. Windows does not recognize a *.accdb file as a database. To run their programs they must first open MS Access, then open the database from Access.
    Does anyone recognize what this problem is? Or is the new normal?
    My money would be on file associations?

yes, someone went in to their computers and associated the .accdb file with other programs randomly. All of the other .accd__ files were associated with assess. Apparently it was a prank that I was too sleepy to think about at 11PM.
    I had an account about 3 1/2 hours away from my office over 20 years ago - before on line support programs were standard. The boss called me in a panic. No matter what he did, the system wouldn't spell his name right. I drove 3 1/2 hours to his office, took a minute to fix MS Office - someone had changed spell check to change the word anytime his name was entered. Funny. 7 hours of driving for me.