Consulting

Thread: unrecognized database format

unrecognized database format

A client has replaced an older workstation with a new one. His hardware guy copied everything from the old computer to the new computer, set up all network connections, installed all the software.
    When they attempted to open the MS Access database that runs their work, it got an "Unrecognized Database Format" error.
    This is a 3 workstation network in a small office. Don't ask why (I'm out of the picture), but one workstation has MS Access 2019. The other two workstations use MS Access 2007. The replaced workstation was using Access 2007. When loading the database, they get the 'Unrecognized Format" error. I've copied the version being used by the other Access 2007 machine which is working just fine to the new workstation. Same error.
    Any suggestions are welcome.

you can only open a database with same version or lower.
    if you have a2007 you can only open a2007 and lower version.
    if a2019, a2019 and lower.

a db created using a2019 cannot be opened in a2007, since there are Newer system tables
    in a2019 that cannot be found in a2007.

if the original db was created in a2007, then modified the code/tables in a2019, it
    might not be compatible with a2007 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by arnelgp View Post
    you can only open a database with same version or lower.
    if you have a2007 you can only open a2007 and lower version.
    if a2019, a2019 and lower.

a db created using a2019 cannot be opened in a2007, since there are Newer system tables
    in a2019 that cannot be found in a2007.

if the original db was created in a2007, then modified the code/tables in a2019, it
    might not be compatible with a2007 anymore.
    Thank you, but not the answer. They have the same version of software running successfully on A2007 and A2019 workstations. This is a third machine which is also A2007. It is a new workstation using the same version of Windows as the other two. Because the workstation being replaced had A2007, the tech reloaded A2007 on the new workstation. All other things are equal. I personally copied the version running on the other A2007 machine directly to the new workstation. It ran on the first A2007 workstation and was an unrecognized database on the second.

then it has to do with the installation of msa on that workstation.

Sorry, unfamiliar with how to change that. This program works on dozens of workstations with all levels of MS Access that run an accdb database. I install it remotely and have never had a problem with installation before. This user has had the program for 4 or 5 years without fail.

Perhaps the tech should reinstall Access? I should note that I noticed that they have Office 2003 (believe it or not) but Access 2007.

Just came upon this. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...n-a-previous-v In the first answer the respondent was talking about ensuring both front end and back end needing to be converted to accdb format.
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

Both ends .accdb There were a couple of other databases linked to the guilty database that were .mdb so I converted them to .accdb with no luck.
    (I went went off of the guilty workstation to perform the re-link to the program, then copied the program back to the guilty workstation.)

I have found a solution, though I have no idea why it worked. I found a very old .mdb version of the program in their backups. I started with that and created a .accdb from it. Then I attempted to copy all of the updates made during the years and relinked the appropriate other databases to it. Strangely it worked. Thank you for your help.