Consulting

Thread: API database in access with merged tables

API database in access with merged tables

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to access, i believe the last time i used it was probably in 1997. I am looking for some advice/help.

I am trying to create a database that pulls in data, ideally via a JSON API or if that wont work from an excel file which would be able to get the data from the API.

The project is as follows:

I am trying to create a database that would output a list of of football match fixtures with the prematch stats of the match.

In excel i have an API that successfully pulls in data (the statistics) across multiple different sheets (1 sheet per league). So there is a worksheet per league and each league statistics sheet has the teams of that league in the rows and then many columns which contain statistics for the team's home matches, away matches, and a combination of the both (overall).

Each league has a unique numerical ID and each team has a unique numerical ID.

I then have another sheet that pulls in via the API a list of the todays fixtures. Each fixture is on its own row and the columns contain other data including the unique team ID's and the unique league ID. What l would like to achieve is to dynamically/automatically create a whole new table that has the list of the fixtures but also shows the correlating stats of each team. So I guess by using the ID's of the teams from the "todays fixture" sheet is searches through the other tables, finds the relevant data and then generates a new sheet with all the fixtures and stats. Obviously it would need to work out who is playing at home and who away so it finds the relevant stats. I basically want to merge various pieces of information from different tables in a new unique table which i could then export to an excel file

Is this possible in access? Is it difficult?

Kind regards
    Last edited by mattadams84; 03-07-2022 at 03:10 PM.

you only need to Linked (linked table) your Excel file to ms access.
    and instead of creating table, create a Query (Total query) that will return
    Unique TeamID and TeamName.
    you can then make "other" queries, join to the above unique teams (by TeamID) and
    retrieve pertinent informations.