Consulting

Thread: Variable Fields Update in Parameterised Query

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Variable Fields Update in Parameterised Query

I have an Access database with an Excel front-end, and I can retrieve, insert, update, delete rows from the Access tables using data in Excel tables.

I have it all working fine, but at present, the update query is written such that it actions all columns in the table. So for instance, in my Account table, I have to update the Date Opened, Date Closed, Account Number, etc., even though the only field changed is the date closed. I know I could write separate queries for each field, but this would mean adding a ton of extra code to the front-end, and it justs seems naff. I want one query that can update 1, 2, 3 or all fields depending upon what I supply. I can do this easily in SQL Server, but how do I do it with Access SQL.

So I thought I would use a query that determined if a parameter was present at run time and update if this was the case.

My first thought was an iif statement, like so

PARAMETERS param.id Long, param.[date].opened DateTime, param.[date].closed DateTime;
    UPDATE Account 
    SET DateOpened = IIF(param.date.opened IS NOT NULL, param.date.opened), 
        DateClosed = IIF(param.date.closed IS NOT NULL,  param.date.closed)
    WHERE Id = param.id;
    This failed when one of the parameters was null, it set that date to null, not what I intended.

Second attempt was to get the current value if the parameter was null, as in

PARAMETERS param.id Long, param.[date].opened DateTime, param.[date].closed DateTime;
    UPDATE Account 
    SET DateOpened = IIF(param.date.opened IS NULL, (SELECT ac.DateOpened From Account AS ac WHERE Id = param.id), param.date.opened), 
        DateClosed = IIF(param.date.closed IS NULL, (SELECT ac.DateClosed From Account AS ac WHERE Id = param.id), param.date.closed)
    WHERE Id = param.id;
    This failed at runtime saying the 'Operation must be an updateable query'?

I Googled this for help and saw an idea where the query had separate update statements for each field, so I tried this

UPDATE Account 
    SET DateOpened = param.date.opened 
    WHERE Id = param.id AND param.date.opened IS NOT NULL;

UPDATE Account 
    SET DateClosed = param.date.closed 
    WHERE Id = param.id AND param.date.closed IS NOT NULL;
    but I got a compile error with 'Characters found after end of UPDATE statement', with the second UPDATE highlighted. Removing the semi-colon at the end of the first update created a syntax error in the first update statement.

The first version is more elegant in my view, but any working version would be better than what I have at present. Anyone know what the query would look like to achieve this objective?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I've never done Access so take this with a whole block of salt
    MyArr = Query Entire Record
    MyArr(n) = Date
    Update Entire Record = MyArr
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    I've never done Access so take this with a whole block of salt
    MyArr = Query Entire Record
    MyArr(n) = Date
    Update Entire Record = MyArr
    The whole point is to handle the variability via the SQL, application code is not the approach I want to take.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I asked this question on ListServ as people here seemed no more aware of how to do than I was, and I got a response in 5 minutes from the super-smart Rory Archibald. As he pointed out, I was well over-egging it, I more or less had it with the IIF solution but I added in a complication that stopped it working.

This is the working solution

UPDATE Account 
    SET DateOpened = IIF(param.date.opened IS NULL, DateOpened, param.date.opened), 
        DateClosed = IIF(param.date.closed IS NULL, DateClosed, param.date.closed)
    WHERE Id = param.id;

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

So Bob the change was only in the "Is Not Null" to "Is Null"?
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

No Ted, it was the second code sample, where I had a separate SELECT to try and get the present value, and all I had to do was use that field value. In pseudo code for one column

FieldValue = IF param.for.that.field IS NULL Then FieldValue Else param.for.that.field ENDiF
    or as an actual column

DateOpened = IIF(param.date.opened IS NULL, DateOpened, param.date.opened)
    Last edited by Bob Phillips; 03-24-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
    the super-smart Rory Archibald
    There you go over-egging it again.
    Be as you wish to seem