Consulting

Thread: FireFox will not open

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    FireFox will not open

Okay, so I'm not sure what's going on. My work pc does not load FireFox anymore. Anytime I call it to open, it will start an instance but it will not be visible. The only place I can see it is in the Task Manager | Processes dialog box. It's using system resources, but cannot be activated (yes, I've tried the Alt + Tab method as well).

If a link is clicked, FireFox will open, but be blank. I'm about ready to unintstall/reinstall. Wondering if anybody ever experienced this before..??

That's a new one on me, Zack. FireFox has distinguished itself (to me at least) by being super-stable everywhere I've used it. Can't really think of what might cause that either...
    Any extensions in use that might be causing an issue? (some don't handle the upgrade to 1.5 too well)
    K :-)

Like Killian, I'm no help at all I'm afraid - it sounds wierd. From what I've seen a good number of people have had problems with 1.5 (I'm still using 1.0.7 so have no personal knowledge).
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    I've actually managed to crash it about half a dozen times already. (I use the heck out of my programs. LOL!)

I hesitate to uninstall/reinstall because I don't want to lose my bookmarks (didn't save them all in IE). Do you guys know how to extract them programmatically?

In FF, go to Bookmarks|Manage|File|Export. It puts them all in a file you can reimport. No "programatically" needed.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

The bookmarks are stored in a (html) file. If you can't start Firefox, you can just copy the file:

Documents and Settings\userid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\Bookmarks.html

The xxxxxxxx.default folder under Profiles has a different name every time you install FF. If you have more than one similarly named folder (which you will have if you have more than one mozilla based browser installed), you'll have to look at all of them and decide which is the one you want - there probably is a better way but I've never investigated.

Save the Bookmarks.html file and after re-installing Firefox, go and simply overwrite the default one it creates with your saved version.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com

In FF, go to Bookmarks|Manage|File|Export. It puts them all in a file you can reimport. No "programatically" needed.
    Firefox will not open, Ken. Kind of hard to get to the Bookmarks menu!

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

Ken: you're a retard. ROFLMFAO!!!!! ( )

Ken: you're a retard. ROFLMFAO!!!!! ( )
    You know... I'm perfectly adept at pointing that out without your help.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist. I did laugh my a$$ off at your expense though. Guess I owe you one now, eh? (Probably won't be long!)

I know i might me a little too late.... well.... well too late.... but one can try these steps in a similar problem....

recover the bookmark's files from: ...\Firefox\Data\profile\bookmarks.html > Uninstall\install or just reinstall a fresh copy (it will preserve all setings....)
    Hitting my head in the VBA wall...
    Trying hard to code...

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill!
    VBAX Master

Could be a corrupted profile.. my firefox at home stopped opening up maximized (despite my best attempts to 'teach' it correctly) and I had to do that. Doesn't take too much work, should hopefully fix it

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Matt

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    I did get that issue fixed, but I think you're right Matt, it was [I'm almost sure] it was a corrupted profile. Was never able to actually nail down the exact source of the problem.

VBAX Regular
    when this happens to me, i simply kill the process and restart.

then agin i also use foxmarks, and FEBE extentions, so i don't worry too much about losing stuff

hth